Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 6 Plus screen issue

Options
  • 04-07-2017 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭

Hey all. Having an issue with the screen on my iPhone 6 Plus and just wondering has anyone else had similar issues and how to fix it. Basically about 2 weeks ago the screen on my iPhone stopped responding. This happened before about 18 months ago and a simple restart of the phone resolved the issue. However a restart this time only helped for about a day and since then it has become progressive worse. It comes and goes (it's working at the minute) but it's not working more often than not.

I went into a phone repair shop and they said this is a common issue. They said the screen could need replacing (€80) or else a new chip could be needed (€120). The problem is they said there is no real way of checking what is the actual cause of the issue so I could get the screen replaced only to find it's actually the chip.

There's no damage to the screen (cracks) but another issue has been happening whereby I might press on the bottom of the screen (say #8 on the keypad when dialing) and instead something at the top of the screen is selected (#2).

Also a sort of white layer has been appearing from the top of the screen and coming and going again suggesting that there might be some damage done.

I had hoped this issue would resolve itself as I'm doing unpaid work exerpience at the minute so could do withou the extra cost of getting the phone fixed but I've no choice at this stage. I should also add the phone is out of warranty and the insurance I had was cancelled after I missed a Direct Debit last year.

Any advice on whether this sounds like it's the screen or the chip would be greatly apprecited so at least I won't end up getting both replaced.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Surely your within warranty period tho after 18 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Surely your within warranty period tho after 18 months?

No I got the phone in March 2015. This is actually my third since then. About a month after I got it a friend dropped it and it smashed. The second one was taken out of my pocket on a night a few months later. Luckily insurance covered both those and my current phone has lasted longer but unfortunately it's out of warranty now after over 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Redo91 wrote: »
    No I got the phone in March 2015. This is actually my third since then.

Did you get the current phone in march 2015, or the first one?
    I would be checking if the replacement phone is under warranty with apple.

I have seen a few phones gone the same way that were sorted foc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

Davy wrote: »
    Did you get the current phone in march 2015, or the first one?
    I would be checking if the replacement phone is under warranty with apple.

I have seen a few phones gone the same way that were sorted foc
    I got the current one around August 2015 I think. I asked in carphone warehouse and they said the warranty is just 1 year. Also the replacement phone was provided by Geek Squad who I had the insurance with. I didn't get it replaced through Apple and I've a feeling it was a refurb so I reckon the warranty with Apple is well gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Bit of a tangent, but FYI on warranty: basically Apple's own warranty period starts with the purchase of the original handset. Replacements under that warranty are covered for at most 90 days beyond the end of the original warranty period. So, a replacement phone does not get its own 1 year warranty on top of the original warranty.

• Advertisement
Advertisement