Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deposit in a hostel

• 04-07-2017 1:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭

Hey Peps,

Going to be staying in a Hostel in the West of Ireland in a couple off weeks with 10 lads.
    I have booked and got confirmation without issues.
    I then received a text later with this info

"Hi xxxx, you made a large group booking at the xxxxx hostel, xxxxx.... Just to let you know, there is a security deposit required at check in time - €30 per person... Refunded in full if group behavior is good and no damages to property."

We are a group in our late 30's/early 40's and plan on climbing the reek and I have no concerns about us behaving.

I have gone on to TripAdvisor and looked at the reviews for this hostel and it seems that they keep a lot of deposits from people without a good reason.

What steps can I take to make sure they don't chance their arm with me, do they need to prove that we made noise, behaved badly etc.
    Can I look for proof the next day/logs of complaints etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Book another hostel and tell them exactly why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Would if I could but won't get anything else at this stage, I just want to make sure I don't get scammed and would like to know where I stand legally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

Do you need to be so concerned about something that hasn't happened yet?
    Life is full of "what ifs".

Back on topic though.. If you are unhappy with the terms and conditions you do not have to agree. Find another place to stay.

Sigh, asp per previous post
    "Would if I could but won't get anything else at this stage, I just want to make sure I don't get scammed and would like to know where I stand legally"

I'm not an anxious person who worries about the future I just like to be prepared and not to be caught off guard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Could it be the case that some groups did cause issues, maybe causing extra cleaning or whatever, but they are oblivious to that fact and then try and slander the hostel because of their sense of entitlement meaning they are never wrong themselves.

Sure I even saw a lad on TripAdvisor who rented a car, and crashed it into a wall, complain that the car rental company asked him to pay for crashing the car! Thought they should just ignore it and be more sound about him causing 1000s of euros of repair costs.
    Some people are just unbelievable.

• Advertisement

Could it be the case that some groups did cause issues, maybe causing extra cleaning or whatever, but they are oblivious to that fact and then try and slander the hostel because of their sense of entitlement meaning they are never wrong themselves.

Sure I even saw a lad on TripAdvisor who rented a car, and crashed it into a wall, complain that the car rental company asked him to pay for crashing the car! Thought they should just ignore it and be more sound about him causing 1000s of euros of repair costs.
    Some people are just unbelievable.

Yes true and I have considered that and if indeed 1 our group causes any issues I won't have any issue with them keeping the deposit, just wondering what is legal is all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,143 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Good luck with that. No hostel will take a group without a behaviour deposit, and for a damn good reason. I'm actually surprised that the amount per head is so low.

If your whole group is well behaved, you will get your deposit back. If one of the lads decides to be a dick - and frankly the chances are that one will, there's almost always that one - you won't. Simples. And that's why you see the reviews you do: many people are simply in denial about how their friends actually behaved. The hostel, on the other hand, will have it all on CCTV and if necessary will be able to show you what happened, in the public areas anyways.

Good luck with that. No hostel will take a group without a behaviour deposit, and for a damn good reason. I'm actually surprised that the amount per head is so low.

If your whole group is well behaved, you will get your deposit back. If one of the lads decides to be a dick - and frankly the chances are that one will, there's almost always that one - you won't. Simples. And that's why you see the reviews you do: many people are simply in denial about how their friends actually behaved. The hostel, on the other hand, will have it all on CCTV and if necessary will be able to show you what happened, in the public areas anyways.

Yep and again I have no issue if someone does, but I'm simply looking to find out do they legally have to prove (in an instance where I know there are no issues)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

We are a group in our late 30's/early 40's and plan on climbing the reek and I have no concerns about us behaving.

A slightly irrelevant comment from the hostel's point of view. Late 30s to early 40s are often the worst offenders for causing damage and disruptions, while I'm sure you think you are nice well-behaved people the hostel has a genuine reason to worry.
    Sigh, asp per previous post
    "Would if I could but won't get anything else at this stage, I just want to make sure I don't get scammed and would like to know where I stand legally"

I'm not an anxious person who worries about the future I just like to be prepared and not to be caught off guard.

If you give them a deposit and they keep it you have little to no comeback. Your only option would be to convince a small claims court judge that you didn't do what the hostel is claiming you did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

This is normal to request deposits, indeed large groups of lads are usually blocked from even booking at the same time, and mentioned in some t&c's. This due to typical 'stag party' situations. Any hotel/hostel owner can refuse guests for any reasonable reason. Bars can refuse anyone admission, very easily.

If just out climbing mountains then all should be fine, take muddy boots off before walking back in though.

Take photos on arrival and on leaving to prove no damage has been caused.
    If events turn sour, of course there is the small claims court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Damage: photos on the way in and out. Small claims court and trip advisor/booking agent complaint if required.

To be fair people are 9 time more likely to post about a problem, that everything being grand but no smoke without fire and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

With things like Trip Advisor and Amazon reviews I tend to ignore the worst reviews and the best. If the reviews are generally good then I would be ok paying the deposit. Just don't misbehave and you should get it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Take photos of everything everywhere everyday OP, you don't want this hostel to scam you out of your 30 euro.

Advertisement