Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Construction Drawings and BCMS

Options
  • 04-07-2017 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi

We're on the final leg of planning hopefully get past the further information stage we are at now:

Contacted my architect for construction drawings and he quoted me 12k for them and anything else I'd require which would include deap assesment etc.

I wasn't expecting this amount: he is very obliging and said he would put any info I supplied onto the plans.

I wanted to go with a local structural engineer to oversee the selfbuild and calculate load calcs etc: I am opting out of the regs but want all aspects overseen for my own peace of mind.

I read other posts and it seems I can submit the BCMS documents myself (as I did with planning application).

I want make clear to all here none of the info will be calculated by myself.

If I hire a structural engineer to do the load calcs etc what else is required?

I know I am missing something big here to have a 12k bill from the architect

Basically the only part I know is that detailed construction drawings and provisional Ber/DEAP need to be up loaded to bcms system.

If the steps required could be outlined that would be great

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

briaineo wrote: »

If I hire a structural engineer to do the load calcs etc what else is required?

That's Part A Covered.
    Now you only have to comply with Parts B-M. Who will design this?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭briaineo

kceire wrote: »
    That's Part A Covered.
    Now you only have to comply with Parts B-M. Who will design this?

This is what I am hoping to find out; what type of engineer would cover the rest?

Should I be employing a certain type of engineer that would cover everything or just B-M of the regs?

So I covered that fact the house won't fall down! That's a good start anyway!

I do not know the full qualifications of the engineers I have in mind but would most structural engineers not have another feather in their cap?

Would some engineers be qualified for everything?

Thanks

This is what I am hoping to find out; what type of engineer would cover the rest?

Should I be employing a certain type of engineer that would cover everything or just B-N of the regs?

So I covered that fact the house won't fall down! That's a good start anyway!

I do not know the full qualifications of the engineers I have in mind but would most structural engineers not have another feather in their cap?

Would some engineers be qualified for everything?

Thanks

Architect / Engineer / Building Surveyor / Technologist that carry PI Insurance and are qualified and competent to inspect the works.

Are you drawing down a mortgage in stage payments?
    The bank may insist on a certain professional to be engaged.

Actually have a question regarding the PI insurance; is this a requirement for BCMS?

The only reason I ask regarding the PI insurance is that I do have one engineer in mind who is fully qualified and very experienced but is semi retired and doesn't have the PI insurance.

No bank involved so any requirements the may have isn't necessary...

Actually have a question regarding the PI insurance; is this a requirement for BCMS?

The only reason I ask regarding the PI insurance is that I do have one engineer in mind who is fully qualified and very experienced but is semi retired and doesn't have the PI insurance.

No bank involved so any requirements the may have isn't necessary...

It just means that any design done has no recourse. You may as well design it yourself.

He would be a foolish man to design a structure and building regulation compliance details in this climate without PI.

Also, he will not be able to issue you with a Certificate of compliance with planning or building regulations.

• Advertisement

It just means that any design done has no recourse. You may as well design it yourself.

He would be a foolish man to design a structure and building regulation compliance details in this climate without PI.

Also, he will not be able to issue you with a Certificate of compliance with planning or building regulations.

Good to know I won't be using him for any calculations then. But I will check if he since acquired insurance.

I'll get a few quotes from local engineers and see how that goes.

Just to ask since you seem to know a lot about this: what exactly would I be asking an engineer: can you draw/amend current drawings to full constructions plans required for bcms system?

Good to know I won't be using him for any calculations then. But I will check if he since acquired insurance.

I'll get a few quotes from local engineers and see how that goes.

Just to ask since you seem to know a lot about this: what exactly would I be asking an engineer: can you draw/amend current drawings to full constructions plans required for bcms system?

Construction Drawings
    Material specification
    BCMS Submission
    Site inspections
    Certs of Compliance
    Project Supervisor Construction Stage (PSCS)

Construction Drawings
    Material specification
    BCMS Submission
    Site inspections
    Certs of Compliance
    Project Supervisor Construction Stage (PSCS)

Great thanks just one last thing; is every one of the last three necessary if opting out of the regs?

Great thanks just one last thing; is every one of the last three necessary if opting out of the regs?

PSCS is a health and safety regulation, that's required no matter what you do.
    The inspections and certs will be required if you ever go to sell.

Advertisement