Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That Bike is A Danger to Other Cyclists

Options
  • 04-07-2017 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi All
    I recently completed the Giro Belfast on my 1983 Peugeot 979 Vitus. I had an absolute ball although it was tough. In the last 20miles another cyclist came up on me on a 1985 Raleigh Banana 531 which he spent about a year restoring. He was dressed in the Team Banana gear. His bike was totally mint and had all the original equipment. All that was missing was Paul Sherwin !

A cyclist on a full carbon Cervelo with Zipp's came up on us and while we were chatting interrupted me saying

"You lads should not be riding bikes of that age on an event like this as they are a danger to other cyclists!"

To which Pete replied "I cant hear you over the noise of them vulgar carbon wheels"

This person was serious ! Did this other cyclist have any fair reason why he should make such a remark ? By riding a 30+ year old bike am I a danger ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Jealousy manifests itself in many different ways !!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

No

A knob being a knob. There's always one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Well I had it about my 7 month old giant defy during last years WW200, as my disc brakes were "dangerous" apparently, as I grinded up Slievemaan. The fella was getting off to walk as he said it to me...

Is there a bit of trend developing of trying to create divisions between people who have good bikes/ target times in mind for sportives and those just out for a potter around, between the ROK thread, the motorway cycle and now this one? Not really liking it if there is - room for everyone in an event surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Hehehe good comeback. I've only had nice comments about my Peugeot 531 Pro. I don't think there's any fair reason to be honest for those remarks. Just cycle smugly onwards enjoying the superior comfort of your steel frame. Not to mention prettier too...

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,287 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Some people are just assholes, I wouldn't worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

guys riding these ''retro'' bikes are usually far less of a danger than some of the guys on the more modern stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I was on the Stephen Roche cycle in clare recently , and i ended up cycling alongside a guy (from the North i think?) on steel Peugeot 979 (?) also, wearing the Peugeot gear, toe straps and cleats....
    I had a great chat, as i have an old steel Peugeot at home that i used to race, and we chatted about "Steel is Real" etc..
    But he told me he had gotten a puncture earlier that morning, and had only glued his Tub onto the Mavic rim that morning !!! Mad man....

Pure jealousy from the Carbon Jockey ........!!!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭queldy

Yarisbob wrote: »
    Hi All
    [...]
    This person was serious ! Did this other cyclist have any fair reason why he should make such a remark ? By riding a 30+ year old bike am I a danger ?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

He's jealous because no matter how much money he spends on his bike it'll never be as stylish as yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Some people are just ****. Wouldn't give it a second thought. I had what I call a 'Komhunter' have a pop at me on Sunday for being in his way on the Clontarf road cycle path, the part that is shared with peds and I'd slowed down to go around a group of people. **** come in all shapes sizes, colours and use all modes of transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

If the bars are tight, the front fork free turning and the wheels secure then it's as safe as any other bike. Yer man sounds like a complete wanker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Yarisbob wrote: »
    Hi All
    I recently completed the Giro Belfast on my 1983 Peugeot 979 Vitus. I had an absolute ball although it was tough. In the last 20miles another cyclist came up on me on a 1985 Raleigh Banana 531 which he spent about a year restoring. He was dressed in the Team Banana gear. His bike was totally mint and had all the original equipment. All that was missing was Paul Sherwin !

One of the more enjoyable aspects of sportives is seeing the vast range of bikes on display, and the most interesting of these by far are invariably the vintage bikes, especially ones that have been maintained at, or restored to, mint condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

If the bars are tight, the front fork free turning and the wheels secure then it's as safe as any other bike. Yer man sounds like a complete wanker.

Unless it's a fixie you might want some brakes as well :pac: In all seriousness though, Mr Cervelo-rider is a chump, and if he equates new with functional, or old with mechanically unsound, there may well be problems in his own bike that he's too dumb to cop that make it more dangerous than the OP's!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

I'm an unashamed fortysomething with a very expensive carbon with Di2 etc etc..

But, I love having a look at the older gear people turn up on for sportifs and the like and I can honestly say the only thing that goes through my mind is: I'm glad it's not me, I did my time on steel frames, pain in the ass tube gears and all the other things that have been improved since 1984 :)

It definitely has never crossed my mind that they might be 'dangerous'. As everyone else has said, ignore the Cervelo, just a complete twat.

I am eagerly awaiting the one contrary person who always turns up on threads to argue the unarguable though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Deagol wrote: »
    I'm an unashamed fortysomething with a very expensive carbon with Di2 etc etc..

But, I love having a look at the older gear people turn up on for sportifs and the like and I can honestly say the only thing that goes through my mind is: I'm glad it's not me, I did my time on steel frames, pain in the ass tube gears and all the other things that have been improved since 1984 :)

It definitely has never crossed my mind that they might be 'dangerous'. As everyone else has said, ignore the Cervelo, just a complete twat.

I am eagerly awaiting the one contrary person who always turns up on threads to argue the unarguable though ;)

I'll give you index gears. After that its all pants. Freddy pants!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Apologies. I just couldn't understand how a total Fred had gotten so far ahead of me for so long and I had not had a half caff mocacino decaff full caff frappe latte in ages that day. AND I had my aero booties on too. Major embarrassment. Attack was my method of defence.

Maybe he thought you were riding with 30 year old tires, cables and break pads :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,608 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if it was a particularly nice old bike, it could be dangerous if it was too distracting for other cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Maybe he thought you were riding with 30 year old tires, cables and break pads :D
    If the OP was doing the WW200 in a really old bike (e.g.from around 1900) with fixed gearing, wooden wheels and cork brake pads, how would people feel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Passed a group of mountain bikers in Spain last year on my 30+ year old Rossin. They started to talk to each other and point as I went past.

Only word I understood was "Classico"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

I've had aspersions cast on my replaceable Lidl water bottle, which is ,sterile, light weight , new and disposable and fits my carbon bottle holder perfectly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If the OP was doing the WW200 in a really old bike (e.g.from around 1900) with fixed gearing, wooden wheels and cork brake pads, how would people feel?

He'd probably get around it quicker and safer than me no matter which of my bikes I'm on and I switch routinely between steel/carbon/Aluminium. Depends on the day.

I bet OPs bike was looked after with greater care than the eejit on the Cervelo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Faster I'd imagine...

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I would imagine people would be too busy admiring his moustache and rakish hat to notice the bike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

An idiot on an expensive racer nearly got pancaked today because he had to make a point of overtaking me on a narrow stretch of road. I was going pretty fast myself on my Giant hybrid.
    I could hear him tutting to himself as he furiously peddled practically hitting an oncoming car in the opposite lane.
    I notice this a lot with the lycra set..they simply MUST pass you out,regardless of how dangerous it is and they put me in mind of a cyclist version of Audi drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Doc07

I did the Marmotte on Sunday. I struggled due to lack of miles in the last 3 months but had enough in the tank from earlier in the year to make it around and enjoy a lot of it. I was on a fairly modest Cube aluminium bike and was drooling at the Cervelos, Pinerillos and Colnagos. It seemed liked every second bike that passed me ( or that I passed) was €10,000 easy.
    However the only two I will remember long term are the two young American lads on 1980 Bianchi's with down tube shifters and toe clips who passed me on the Telegraph laughing and joking to themselves having the time of their (strong and fit) lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I had some arsewipe sneer at me a few years ago because I had an 11-32 cassette on my bike. Not messing either, a proper "dog shít on my shoe" mutter of disgust.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

he wouldn't want to be cycling in NL, where all my bikes have been older than me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Fireball XL5

MOD VOICE: No spoilers

Advertisement