Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That Bike is A Danger to Other Cyclists

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,608 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

MysticMonk wrote: »
    I notice this a lot with the lycra set..they simply MUST pass you out,regardless of how dangerous it is and they put me in mind of a cyclist version of Audi drivers.
    i resent that implication.
    it's BMW drivers you need to watch out for.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I notice this a lot with the lycra set..they simply MUST pass you out,regardless of how dangerous it is and they put me in mind of a cyclist version of Audi drivers.
    It's not all but it there are some. I love it. I have had lads on sit up and beg bikes fly past me on the N11, and freds go past me on reds only to try and catch me as I coast past. Some people are d1cks, some people aren't. Sometimes it is nice if you can make the ones who are feel like they are.
    i resent that implication.
    it's BMW drivers you need to watch out for.
    Sorry, no, it hasn't been for about 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

An idiot on an expensive racer nearly got pancaked today because he had to make a point of overtaking me on a narrow stretch of road. I was going pretty fast myself on my Giant hybrid.
    I could hear him tutting to himself as he furiously peddled practically hitting an oncoming car in the opposite lane.

I often find it's the try hards on Hybrids are the worst for turning everything into a race ;)

Full disclosure though some lad on an old steel MTB in cargo shorts steamed past me up the the feather beds on Sunday never to be seen again...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

If the OP was doing the WW200 in a really old bike (e.g.from around 1900) with fixed gearing, wooden wheels and cork brake pads, how would people feel?

Laufmaschine, FTW.

300px-Draisine_or_Laufmaschine%2C_around_1820._Archetype_of_the_Bicycle._Pic_01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Fireball XL5

MOD VOICE: No spoilers

Spoiler - Wha???

This was already being up on and the subject of discussion on TDF Stage thread for some hours before I posted.

:confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

That's baffling. Should have asked what possible reason there was for them being dangerous :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

Ive done a few sportiffes on an old Raleigh Dynatech from the 90s . There is actually something nice about passing guys on pinarellos and the like .
    If anything I've gotten compliments but some people are just flash vulgar and ignorant
    Same muppets would be like that in all aspects of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Doc07 wrote: »
    I did the Marmotte on Sunday. I struggled due to lack of miles in the last 3 months but had enough in the tank from earlier in the year to make it around and enjoy a lot of it. I was on a fairly modest Cube aluminium bike and was drooling at the Cervelos, Pinerillos and Colnagos. It seemed liked every second bike that passed me ( or that I passed) was €10,000 easy.
    However the only two I will remember long term are the two young American lads on 1980 Bianchi's with down tube shifters and toe clips who passed me on the Telegraph laughing and joking to themselves having the time of their (strong and fit) lives.

I was drooling over a guy riding a Look Hinault KG76 with full Mavic groupset going up the Telegraph. If I ever get my GoPro back, I have him on film. Saw lots of riders on vintage stuff that day.

Spoiler - Wha???

This was already being up on and the subject of discussion on TDF Stage thread for some hours before I posted.

:confused::confused::confused:

And at that point some people may not have read the stage thread. It was before midnight so some people may be working odd hours or shifts and would be avoiding the stage thread until they watched the highlights etc.

CramCycle wrote: »
    And at that point some people may not have read the stage thread. It was before midnight so some people may be working odd hours or shifts and would be avoiding the stage thread until they watched the highlights etc.

Pretty thin justification for the deletion of a comment that revealed absolutely ZERO information - :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Doc07

I was drooling over a guy riding a Look Hinault KG76 with full Mavic groupset going up the Telegraph. If I ever get my GoPro back, I have him on film. Saw lots of riders on vintage stuff that day.

I'm spotting a trend here, maybe all the vintage lads got a lift to the base of the Telegraphe , loitered up the climb and then disappeared again into hipster heaven in Valloire

Pretty thin justification for the deletion of a comment that revealed absolutely ZERO information - :(

Lets take it to PM if you wish to discuss further but it is in the forum rules and it clearly suggested a crash between the two riders.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Lets take it to PM

What MODs say to each other when they get horny!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,511 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I wonder what he'd have to say about the guy who does my local round the mountain (160km) on a unicycle every year?
    It's only about 5 years old though

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    What MODs say to each other when they get horny!
    Jokes on you, mods don't have feelings and reproduce asexually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

"Did this other cyclist have any fair reason why he should make such a remark ?"

Obviously a nutter disguised as a cyclist.

Lets take it to PM if you wish to discuss further but it is in the forum rules and it clearly suggested a crash between the two riders.

Sorry but life is just too short to concern myself with this particular form of silliness on your part - so no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Sorry but life is just too short to concern myself with this particular form of silliness on your part - so no thanks.

Not the moral high ground you seem to think it is.

Back on topic. Has anyone ever encountered an actually dangerous bike (as opposed to a rider) on a Sportive?

Aside from the universal flouting of the no aerobars rule?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I've been out on a spin with a fella who had one worn cleat and his foot would pull out at random intervals while climbing. Needless to say I steered clear but he could easily have someone go straight into the back of him with the sudden deceleration while climbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Not the moral high ground you seem to think it is.

Back on topic. Has anyone ever encountered an actually dangerous bike (as opposed to a rider) on a Sportive?

Aside from the universal flouting of the no aerobars rule?

Not sure if it was dangerous or not but a bloke had a really noisy bike on the Tour de Kilkenny 2 years ago. It was like the RD was clipping the spokes while grinding diamond grade coffee! He seemed oblivious to it and, as it was quite near the start, was obviously not a problem that had just happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Yarisbob

greenspurs wrote: »
    I was on the Stephen Roche cycle in clare recently , and i ended up cycling alongside a guy (from the North i think?) on steel Peugeot 979 (?) also, wearing the Peugeot gear, toe straps and cleats....
    I had a great chat, as i have an old steel Peugeot at home that i used to race, and we chatted about "Steel is Real" etc..
    But he told me he had gotten a puncture earlier that morning, and had only glued his Tub onto the Mavic rim that morning !!! Mad man....

Pure jealousy from the Carbon Jockey ........!!!

I happen to know that certain person quite well - he will make sure that nothing is left to chance as he will starts the prep on the bike weeks in advance ! He spent the previous week making sure his tubs were properly glued and cured ! A puncture before the start was unfortunate as it was the front ! He took his time and stayed away from groups on the decents in cade the tub rolled - he takes both his safety and others very seriously ! This fella is a bit of a quirk and is intending to ride the Lap the Lough on a 531 Raleigh Track bike with fixed gear and both brakes ! Will be worth seeing that !

Advertisement