Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorbike ban

• 04-07-2017 2:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.thejournal.ie/hanoi-motorbike-ban-3478000-Jul2017/

WOW. In some ways, I can see some logic, just to remove so many engines from a city, but yet there is no viable means of transport then for hundreds of thousands of people.

Sounds extreme to me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

So take 5 Million bikes and replace them with cars ... that'll ease the traffic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Erm... electric bikes!! specifically would solve pretty much their whole gripe. - Pollution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Here's a less sensationalist piece by The Guardian, with a little more context: https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016/jul/18/long-wait-hanoi-metro-vietnam-motorbike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Riding a bike in Hanoi is an essential experience for any biker, if you haven't done it yet try to get in before the ban!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Cian_ok

Paulw wrote: »
    Sounds extreme to me.

Bikes aren't all that green.
    While you getter better mpg, and thus lower CO2 emissions. You get much, much higher nitrogen oxides and carbon monoxide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,127 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Cian_ok wrote: »
    Bikes aren't all that green.
    While you getter better mpg, and thus lower CO2 emissions. You get much, much higher nitrogen oxides and carbon monoxide.
    Are you sure about that?

I think these are the latest standards:

Euro 5 for motorcycles: NOX 0.06, CO 0.50.
    Euro 6 for petrol passenger cars: NOX 0.06, CO 1.0.

So NOX is same, CO double for cars.

Lumen wrote: »
    Are you sure about that?

I think these are the latest standards:

Euro 5 for motorcycles: NOX 0.06, CO 0.50.
    Euro 6 for petrol passenger cars: NOX 0.06, CO 1.0.

So NOX is same, CO double for cars.

These are EU standards. And Euro 5 is only from this year. Euro 6 not until 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,127 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Cian_ok wrote: »
    These are EU standards. And Euro 5 is only from this year. Euro 6 not until 2020.

Sure, but since Hanoi's decision is "to ban motorbikes by 2030", current and forward-looking emissions performance is relevant. They could simply adopt Euro 5 and ban old bikes.

Lumen wrote: »
    Sure, but since Hanoi's decision is "to ban motorbikes by 2030", current and forward-looking emissions performance is relevant. They could simply adopt Euro 5 and ban old bikes.

Good point. I missed the 2030 part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,355 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Just ban the old two-strokes (filthy) and improve the emission standards on new four-strokes being sold, problem solved - if emissions are really the problem.
    This probably has more to do with getting the hoi polloi off the streets to make way for the cars of the more wealthy.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
Advertisement