Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reclaim tax on leaving Ireland permanently

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Asking this on behalf of a friend (not Irish) who moved aboard permanently around this time last year. He was in full-time employment for about 7 months here and then left, I know he should be entitled to a tax refund based on the fact he would not have used all his tax credits and he has now remembered this and wants to reclaim what he is owed.

Is it as simple as filling out the requested forms here: http://www.revenue.ie/en/life-events-and-personal-circumstances/moving-to-or-from-ireland/leaving-ireland/are-you-entitled-to-a-refund-of-tax.aspx

Or is there anything additional required? Particularly as he has left it nearly a year to request this?

Yes,

he is non resident here for tax purposes, so Revenue will need details of hisworldwide income for the 12 months, Jan to Dec. He won't be entitled to a full years worth of tax credits

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Yes,

he is non resident here for tax purposes, so Revenue will need details of hisworldwide income for the 12 months, Jan to Dec. He won't be entitled to a full years worth of tax credits

Thanks, yeah I know he won't get the full years credits. I've a good understanding of the system in that line it's more what he would need to do to reclaim the portion he would be owed (I've a good idea of the figure).

What relevance has his world income to the calculation though as presumably anything earned after leaving Ireland is no concern of revenue?

Also I assume you mean Jan 16 to Dec 16.

Thanks, yeah I know he won't get the full years credits. I've a good understanding of the system in that line it's more what he would need to do to reclaim the portion he would be owed (I've a good idea of the figure).

What relevance has his world income to the calculation though as presumably anything earned after leaving Ireland is no concern of revenue?

Also I assume you mean Jan 16 to Dec 16.

If it was 16 when he was here then yeah.

The worldwide income is needed to calculate the amount of tax credits due. If the irish income was 75% of this figure, full credits are given

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    If it was 16 when he was here then yeah.

The worldwide income is needed to calculate the amount of tax credits due. If the irish income was 75% of this figure, full credits are given

yeah it was 2016. If the money is earned abroad while no longer resident in Ireland why is it taken into consideration for the calculation? I would have thought its simply calculated by normalising the yearly tax credits across the number of months worked here rather than spread across the 12 months?

It would have been 8 months working here and 4 abroad but as the job abroad is highly paid and tax free I would guess that he earned more in the 4 months than across the 8 months here.

yeah it was 2016. If the money is earned abroad while no longer resident in Ireland why is it taken into consideration for the calculation? I would have thought its simply calculated by normalising the yearly tax credits across the number of months worked here rather than spread across the 12 months?

It would have been 8 months working here and 4 abroad but as the job abroad is highly paid and tax free I would guess that he earned more in the 4 months than across the 8 months here.

The worldwide income is used to work out the tax credit entitlement. If the Irish income is less than 75% of overall, then a partial allowance of credits are granted.

its worked out by dividing the credit by worldwide income x irish income

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Buppy86

Hi,

I have a question in relation to leaving Ireland permanently and tax refund. if someone has been living in Ireland for over 10 years and now going to their home country, are they given the tax refund for all the years they worked here or only the last year they worked? Does anyone know anything about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Buppy86 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a question in relation to leaving Ireland permanently and tax refund. if someone has been living in Ireland for over 10 years and now going to their home country, are they given the tax refund for all the years they worked here or only the last year they worked? Does anyone know anything about it?

You aren't given a tax refund for any of the years you've lived here upon leaving for good. However depending on the time of year you leave, your earnings and tax you paid in the year you leave, you may be entitled to a refund of tax based on the unused portion of credits and rate band for the year you leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

There’s a sort of persistent urban myth out there among the Eastern European workers living in Ireland that if you leave Ireland to go and work somewhere else that you are entitled to every cent of tax you paid returned to you and that your PPSN is then eradicated and if you come back you’d have to apply for a new one. I’m fed up of hearing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

splinter65 wrote: »
    There’s a sort of persistent urban myth out there among the Eastern European workers living in Ireland that if you leave Ireland to go and work somewhere else that you are entitled to every cent of tax you paid returned to you and that your PPSN is then eradicated and if you come back you’d have to apply for a new one. I’m fed up of hearing it.

A lot of builders told eastern European workers this as a way of justifying low wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

A lot of builders told eastern European workers this as a way of justifying low wages.

I didn’t know that. That’s interesting

• Advertisement
Advertisement