Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair and Action Camera

Options
  • 04-07-2017 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Will probably get grilled over this but on my return from my holiday I decided to purchase the Thumbs Up action camera on board Ryanair. Only got around to opening it two weeks ago, forgot I bought it, and to my amazement one of the attachments was missing from the box.

Nonetheless, decided to put it on my bike and take it for a test. However noticed the battery was low so put it for charge, manual says to charge for 4 hours so used the supplied cable and let it charge away. The camera also indicated it was charging.

4 hours go by and I take it off charge, however when I turn it on, It immediately says low battery and turns off. Thought maybe the battery isn't fully in, took it out and put it in again, did the charging process again yet same issue.

Got straight onto Ryanair to be told they cannot help me. The live chat only deals with tickets and that I should make a complaint through their contact form. Did this and yet still no reply.

Decided to get onto the NCA, but no response from them either, I contacted them a week ago.

Got onto the manufacturer who are willing to replace but refuse to pay postage, I have to pay it. They said if I want all expenses paid, I must go through Ryanair.

Any thoughts to what I can do now? The camera cost €70 and I don't want to be out of pocket.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Sounds like it's clearly faulty. You bought it from Ryanair so the manufacturer have a point, they're the ones who should be sorting it out. No idea how you go about getting them to do so though.

Worst case you could use the small claims court, but the fee would probably cost more than the postage cost back to the manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Of course you have to send them a letter by post :rolleyes:

Add on the expense of registering the letter also so they don't claim they never got it..

They just try to make it as difficult as possible so that people just don't bother.

It would cost them next to nothing to set up an email address for faulty items.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

They just try to make it as difficult as possible so that people just don't bother.

It would cost them next to nothing to set up an email address for faulty items.

Wouldnt cost anything to set up an email address, but would require staffing to manage and reply to emails. Otherwise that email is getting full pretty quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

daheff wrote: »
    Wouldnt cost anything to set up an email address, but would require staffing to manage and reply to emails. Otherwise that email is getting full pretty quickly

Set it to auto delete once a week. Problem solved :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sounds like a cell that the protection circuit has kicked in on due to critically low voltage. It happens on lithium cells.

You can "wake" it from dormancy with the right charger but the one supplied may not be able to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

daheff wrote: »

The post isn't read/managed for free either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

L1011 wrote: »
    The post isn't read/managed for free either

I feel like I'm back in the early 1800's where the only method of communication is by letter :D Perhaps I should attach it to a Ryanair Pigeon to fly it back to their head office... :rolleyes:

Just an update:

Ryanair finally got back to me, after 19 days. They simply stated that I should contact the manufacturer. I am just beyond frustrated with them.

I was on to the consumer agency and they said the contract is between me and Ryanair and I shouldn't have to bear any costs. All I want now is a refund. The letter that the CCPC gave me to send to Ryanair states that I am entitled to a refund, however after acknowledging this letter, Ryanair seemed to have ignored it.

Is my only option now the small claims court?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Just an update:

Ryanair finally got back to me, after 19 days. They simply stated that I should contact the manufacturer. I am just beyond frustrated with them.

I was on to the consumer agency and they said the contract is between me and Ryanair and I shouldn't have to bear any costs. All I want now is a refund. The letter that the CCPC gave me to send to Ryanair states that I am entitled to a refund, however after acknowledging this letter, Ryanair seemed to have ignored it.

Yep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Make sure you add in your expenses to date in addition to the 70 for your claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Just an update:

It may be worth sending them one more registered letter telling them you want a refund, again enclosing the letter from the ccpc and letting them know if you don't receive said refund within 7 days (including costs of registered letters and cost to return the camera to them) you will make a claim to the small claims court.
    Sometimes that's enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

I had a similar issue with 3. In short, they sold me a faulty product and when I got in touch, they said it wasn't their problem and to contact the manufacturer. The manufacturer told me to contact 3, as I had bought it from them so my contract was with 3. Back and forth for months, neither took responsibility, so I ended up bringing 3 to Small Claims Court for a refund. They didn't even bother contesting it and I eventually got a refund from them by cheque.

Because ryanair are based in Dublin do I need to make the application to the small claims court in Dublin, or is the one in my county (Waterford) sufficient ?

I dont know if I want to bother another letter, the expense of it isnt worth it and am fed up now just want it over and done with and my money back.

The camera is still with me, as they have not stated if they will pay for the postage, am I best to send it back to them and then request the cost of postage be refunded also and if not then add this to the expenses in the small claims court?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 SaraLou

Manzoor14 wrote: »
    I had a similar issue with 3. In short, they sold me a faulty product and when I got in touch, they said it wasn't their problem and to contact the manufacturer. The manufacturer told me to contact 3, as I had bought it from them so my contract was with 3. Back and forth for months, neither took responsibility, so I ended up bringing 3 to Small Claims Court for a refund. They didn't even bother contesting it and I eventually got a refund from them by cheque.

Did you get anything more than the price of the refund? If not, thats a terrible system that only encourages companies to act the ass. If there was some form of compo, they may not be so ready to act so contemptuously towards their consumers. We often lament the compo culture, and yes, certainly it has its pitfalls. However, in cases like this, which can be so frustrating as a consumer and waste so much time and energy, I think compensation is only right for a) Putting some value on all the time they wasted on you and b) Trying to discourage such behaviour by retailers etc

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The Small Claims Court system does not offer compensation for time lost etc. It is not designed that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

SaraLou wrote: »
    Did you get anything more than the price of the refund? If not, thats a terrible system

Hi SaraLou

consumers dont have to pursue small claims court, they have the choice.
    if you do small claims court, you know exactly what it will cost you, win or lose with the set fee, and you don't need legal representation etc.

you are always free to sue in district court where claims for damages/punitive will be entertained

I always like having a choice.

Just a heads up for anyone still following this:

Got onto Ryanair through twitter, and eventually after using the words "legal action" they emailed me within an hour asking to post back the camera and they would refund fully as well as postage costs.

That was done friday, got an email this morning saying refund will be back in my bank in 3 - 5 days.

So, to anyone out there that might battle with this in the future, don't give in, they will eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 KidMeNotA1

Small Claims Court will be in your local court, costs €25, which you can reclaim on your claims form.
    No need to pay registered letter cost - just send it recorded delivery - it's free, & you have a receipt from the P.O. of postage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement