Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good moderator for a .22wmr?

Options
  • 04-07-2017 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

A couple of quick questions lads (+ lassies?).

I applied for, and was granted, the magic 'S' when renewing the licence on my Krico .22wmr. She'll have to be threaded, and I presume any thread will work so long as it's not bigger than the outside diameter of the barrel end. So to save a little $$$ I'm considering looking for a second-hand mod and then having the barrel threaded to suit.

So the first question is: are the same mods used for .22wmr as for .22lr? (I imagine they are, being both rimfire .22 cals., but want to be sure.)

And second: what mods would you recommend? I have a single Hausken JD224 Hunter for both my .223 and 6.5x55 (the mod is 6.5mm), and I like that type that covers up part of the barrel, so not making the rifle too long. I'd be looking for something not too heavy but still fairly effective at sound reducion.

If a new mod was significantly better than older ones, and not too expensive, I might go for that instead of looking second-hand.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭SakoHunter75

Just to answer my own question, yes the same suppressors are used for .22lr and .22wmr (and yes, it's obvious to me too, now that I know!).

More interestingly for any other .22wmr owners out there, I came across a new rimfire mod, the Sak2, which Sak say is a "Very effective silencer. 31-34db attenuation. Made especially for the .22 magnum and rifle with caliber .17."

http://www.ouluntyostokeskus.com/en/products/sak-rimfire-silencer

(You need to scroll down a bit for it to come up.)

So I reckon I'll be going for one of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

+1 on the SAK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭minktrapper

I am looking for the same. There is a new wildcat mod out the Wildcat Panther. Costs £150 sterling I think and can be used up to 22 Hornet.

The Sak 2 mod. Anybody got one yet?

I

• Advertisement

The Sak 2 mod. Anybody got one yet?

I have one, but still waiting to get the rifle back from the gunsmith, where the barrel's being shortened, threaded + recrowned.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭123shooter

I have one, but still waiting to get the rifle back from the gunsmith, where the barrel's being shortened, threaded + recrowned.

I have an engineering background and understand a little about guns.

As far as I know..........some rifles at the end of the barrel are sometimes/always choked a little to improve accuracy. This means towards the end of the barrel the bore tightens by a few thousands of an inch. Not all rifles have this but it can be seen in air rifles and rimfire rifles.

This is one reason why I have never taken that obscene open sight off my CZ .22wmr to have a moderator fitted.

Does anybody know if they still choke rimfire barrels?

What calibre is it on Sako. Have you any idea how much bigger than the original Sak it is and the baffle arrangement in it.

123shooter wrote: »
    I have an engineering background and understand a little about guns.

As far as I know..........some rifles at the end of the barrel are sometimes/always choked a little to improve accuracy. This means towards the end of the barrel the bore tightens by a few thousands of an inch. Not all rifles have this but it can be seen in air rifles and rimfire rifles.

This is one reason why I have never taken that obscene open sight off my CZ .22wmr to have a moderator fitted.

Does anybody know if they still choke rimfire barrels?

A guy told me on a UK forum that he shortened the barrel on his wmr down to 14" and the accuracy of the rifle actually improved from 1.5 MoA to sub-MOA. I'm only getting mine shortened to 18" though.

What calibre is it on Sako. Have you any idea how much bigger than the original Sak it is and the baffle arrangement in it.

Can't really compare it to the original Sak as I've never had one or even seen one

• Advertisement

A guy told me on a UK forum that he shortened the barrel on his wmr down to 14" and the accuracy of the rifle actually improved from 1.5 MoA to sub-MOA. I'm only getting mine shortened to 18" though.

I always wonder about claims like these. A gun manufacture doesnt wake up one morning and decide to make his rifle barrel 20" or so. There is a lot of science to obtain the correct length of a rifle barrel..........powder burn..........bullet stabalisation.........velocity ....and probably more.

I always wonder about claims like these. A gun manufacture doesnt wake up one morning and decide to make his rifle barrel 20" or so. There is a lot of science to obtain the correct length of a rifle barrel..........powder burn..........bullet stabalisation.........velocity ....and probably more.

You could be right, I don't know.

The velocity is reduced with a shorter barrel, but usually only marginally. I'm no expert, but I think longer barrels were the norm in the past mainly because a) they were necessary for open sights to function effectively (now not such an issue because of scopes) and b) because shorter barrels produce a louder report (now not such an issue because of suppressors).

You could be right, I don't know.

The velocity is reduced with a shorter barrel, but usually only marginally. I'm no expert, but I think longer barrels were the norm in the past mainly because a) they were necessary for open sights to function effectively (now not such an issue because of scopes) and b) because shorter barrels produce a louder report (now not such an issue because of suppressors).

I would love to get mine done but never been able to find out info on this.

I would love to get mine done but never been able to find out info on this.

I don't follow, do you mean you'd like to get the barrel shortened, or threaded for a mod, or what?

I don't follow, do you mean you'd like to get the barrel shortened, or threaded for a mod, or what?

Threaded for a mod but my sight is part of the barrell on my cz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

As you say, there are many reasons for a manufacturer leaving a rifle barrel at a particular length.

Legality is another reason, in particular laws and regulations of markets and in Ireland you legally can't shorten a barrel below 50 cm or 20 inches. However, you can buy a shorter one from the manufacturer if you want. Go figure :)

With regards your own situation, the main variable affected by barrel length, is velocity and rather than posting a load of Internet links, it's worth reading for yourself that this is the main variable affected.

Having an open sight on your barrel isn't a reason not to thread it if you want to use a moderator. Without putting your rifle over a chrono and measuring, you are probably looking at losing something like an average of 15 fps per inch which is hardly dramatic.

Here is a link here to give you velocity information per inch

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/22mag.html

There is an awful lot of reading on this subject and I'd suggest that you satisfy yourself before cutting the barrel but I'd safely say that you have a bit of misinformation on subject as is and I am sure other more knowledgeable people than myself, will be along to add more to this.

Advertisement