Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council Rent Assessment underdeclaration

Options
  • 04-07-2017 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭

My parents have lived in a council house since 1988. Their last rent assessment was about 4 years ago and it was the first time that it asked for proof of my Mum's income. My Mum works as a Home Help and when she started doing the job 15plus years ago, at the time, it wasn't considered assessable for social welfare so she didn't declare it to the council either. She panicked about having to declare it on the form 4 years ago so moved in with my sister, fearful of a hike in rent.

Another form arrived yesterday. My Mum is now back living with my Dad (his health isn't good). He's 66, she's 64. As he is getting a payment for her with his Pension, she has no choice but to put down that she's living with him. I should say, I KNOW she should've been honest from the start but, barring a time machine, I can't do anything about that now.

What is the likely outcome is what I'm wondering? Dad suffers from depression as well as diabetes and blood pressure and the worry is causing him a lot of stress. Are they likely to be hit with a demand for a huge lump sum of arrears? If they are, I would try to help with it if I can but that would depend on how much it is. My Mum will only be able to keep working for another year at most, then they will both be living solely on the pension.

Has anybody got any experience of this? Should we just send in the forms and cross our fingers? <SNIP>

Please don't give me a lecture about being dishonest, if I'd known about this from day one, I'd have insisted my parents be upfront from the beginning but we are where we are now and I'm really worried about how it's going to affect them at their stage of life.

Mod Note:

Snipped to keep things legal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

They will put it on the account and agree a repayment plan with you. Worst case the two of them will be evicted along with a demand for the money, but that's rare.

Once they pass away the balance will be recovered from the estate, if there is any estate. If there isn't then it is written off, unless someone wants to inherit the tenancy in which case they can pay it, but no obligation to inherit the tenancy. Hand it back and have it written off.

A lesson is to always over disclose and declare. Remember, no one has ever been prosecuted for over disclosing. However, people have been met with the absolute full force of the law if they play the sher I didn't know, or sher I thought this card. Doing that just angers the council and gets them motivated. If you short changed the council then another citizen who doesn't even live in the house actually picked up the tab. Best thing is hold up the hand, admit it, and move on. Trying to maneuver ones way out of it is possibly the worst line you could take at this point. Don't even make a start on going down that route. Hammered wouldn't be the word. And go to citizens info centre who will point you to next steps if this gets messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Fionne

Well, turns out that despite all the form-filling and sending it back, they went and lost it. Parents got a letter yesterday telling them that the maximum per week rent will apply from 3rd March for not sending in the information. My Mam rang them and was told "I can't find your file, I'll ring you back when I find it on the computer, it takes time". And of course, they never rang her back.

Luckily, I kept copies of what was sent in so I'm going to send it in again, registered post this time. What a ridiculously long time to hear back though, from July until February! I'm hoping it gets sorted out soon, it's upsetting my Dad in particular to think they have to pay such a high amount. I've searched and can't find an email address to send the forms onto, relying on snail mail to Clonakilty isn't going to be speedy enough I fear.

Advertisement