Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bloggers including friends and family

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

222233 wrote: »
    To be honest, people assuming I am the MUF just because I have been considerate with respect to her right to edit photos, lead a fun lifestyle, fall in love and include her bf in her blog (all based on my own opinion) suggests to me that really no one here is interested in doing anything other than criticising her.

No we assume you're her because you've taken fangirling to an extreme.

That poor woman doesn't have a fun lifestyle she has an extremely stressful life where she's desperately trying to control how she's seen.
    God imagine spending hours everyday reading everything anyone writes about you, contacting total strangers to take down photos of you so you can make sure only 'your' version of you is seen. Photoshopping, facetuning, filtering every pic.

I don't know muf personally but I do know that most people who are faking a perfect life on social media are desperately unhappy underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

No we assume you're her because you've taken fangirling to an extreme.

In any discussion, there are always going to be people who take a certain stance. I'm not fangirling, I just felt obliged to shed light on alternative opinions surrounding her and contest some assumptions that were being made on the basis of what she posts online.

She's not my favourite among the blogger crew, but I do enjoy her content, having said that I wouldn't pay to see her and I don't actually follow her on IG, I have her on SC and do enjoy her stories.

I'm guessing it's off topic anyway and I literally have nothing else I can really say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

SassyP wrote: »
    Just on the branding I think this could be a great opportunity for her to rebrand herself - not now when she has personal issues going on but maybe in a few months she could use it as her way of starting afresh. As far as I know Suzanne Jackson has dropped sosueme from her website and rebranded to her name. RetroFlame is still mid-20s so will get away with it for another few years and I unfollowed FBG a long time ago so can’t comment on whether her name suits her content.
    IrishinOz wrote: »
    I remember just starting to follow her as her last relationship broke up and she swore she would remain “private” and learned lessons and would not include boyfriends again..and then she went all in your face with the couple goals...it must be v sad though to be in that position again..

Guys, please read the charter before posting, you have to have minimum of 50 posts before posting in this particular forum. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭wyrn

Any critiquing I did (and I think many of the posters here) of MUF has always been on her professionally not personally. Now having her BF on her social media constantly, certainly blurred the lines. If she ran two accounts, a personal and a professional account - we wouldn’t be able to mention her BF in these threads. Many of us worried for Joanne that his constant presence was damaging her brand.

Add in the the fact that she seemingly filters all her images, this too blurs lines. People criticise magazines for airbrushing images, why can’t the same be said for a beauty / makeup blogger who is advertising products. It’s not a true representation. Again, filter and facetune the bejaysus our of your personal accounts but don’t do it on a business account where you’re supposed to review products.

This thread has lots of positive things to say about Joanne the person - just look at the support she got about her hair, dropping out of the competition and her break up. The negative posts where mostly feedback on her business like the price point for the Fairy Wands were too high (individually ok but too many brushes), the lack of #ad #sp on posts, Pixie Pout not being individually sold etc... having an opinion on these things doesn’t make us negative about Joanne, nor haters or begrudgers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I'm sorry if I sound like a broken record here but I have to vent someplace.

Today, Facesbygrace Snapped Sienna. And that was it. Sienna trying to get into a box. Sienna trying to climb on the sofa. Sienna doing something else, yada yada. Has Grace just given up on her Snapchat now?

Is she posting these vids thinking "Ah this'll do"?
    She also Snapped a new duvet cover she bought.
    I mean, for God sake. Talk about mundane.

I know, I know, "unfollow her if she annoys you" but that's not the point. The point is; this is the content she's churning out for her followers and it's not right.
    It's just laziness.

And I'm sorry but for a MUA, she really doesn't look the part. I can't tell you the last time I saw her giving us a tutorial or tips on makeup.

She only has a couple of "looks", as someone mentioned here and nothing really looks that great on her, as opposed to the likes of Rosie Connolly who actually looks unreal when she's all glammed up.

Oh and it's Grace's neice's christening tomorrow. What's the bets she'll Snap that too? Snore.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 KatieBelle92

222233 wrote: »
    I find it genuinely sad that anonymous posters feel the need to assume that a person who is not here to defend themselves:
    -suffers from some form of body dissatisfaction (diagnosed by posters on an anonymous forum)
    - Feels the need to edit their photos because of above said
    - Sacrificed their life for a boy
    - Had a relationship that was too intense and quick
    - Uped and left their friends and family.
    Etc.

All of this is speculation and some of it is quite hurtful

None of the above is based on speculation. It's based on facts that have come directly from her over sharing on social media. If someone edits photos to the point where they don't look human any more then it's not a far leap to say they are not happy with how they look. If someone can't talk to Snapchat without filters, angles and a ring light (even with a full face of makeup on) then that shows dissatisfaction with how they look. I'm not sure why anyone who is happy with their appearance would choose to look like a squeaky cartoon animal on Snapchat rather than themselves.

Anyone who has been following MUF for some time can clearly see her change in content. They can clearly see she did "up and leave" her family and friends.

You say she is not here to defend herself, this is a public forum so she is more than welcome to "defend" herself but most of the messages I have read about her here have been full of both support and new suggestions for the direction of her content. These social influencers wouldn't exist without an audience so what is the issue in giving feedback. If you don't want people's opinions on certain matters then keep them off your brand's social media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

She and I’m sure slot of bloggers read this forum or at least know about it! So of they really wanted To they could come and chat to the people here! As long as they didn’t come in calling us all jealous haters in sure the conversation would be quite civil.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Danielle1288

MUF is back on instastories, she’s in Dublin too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Saw that..random pic of a menu..bit pointless

MUF is back on instastories, she’s in Dublin too

Delighted to hear hope she's well :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

fineso.mom wrote: »
    Saw that..random pic of a menu..bit pointless

I'd say it was to let people know she's back in Ireland and looking for work.

I agree with everyone else here. This would be a fantastic opportunity for her to take a break, ditch the childish name and rebrand herself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

MUF back now it seems. Briefly explained she was home and her relationship has ended. Seemed upset but held it together.

Back at work today. And she said to expect lots of #ad and #sp as she wants to focus on her work. Also said how London was tough, hard to get work and she was a small fish in a big pond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Jwacqui wrote: »
    MUF back now it seems. Briefly explained she was home and her relationship has ended. Seemed upset but held it together.

Back at work today. And she said to expect lots of #ad and #sp as she wants to focus on her work. Also said how London was tough, hard to get work and she was a small fish in a big pond.

I think the bolded was her subtle admission that she thought she was too big for Ireland, but was actually wrong. Fair play to her for admitting it.

I'd say she needs all the #ad and #sp work she can get, she must be broke from the new apartment lease and all she spent on it.

She definitely had her tail between her legs a bit, which I wasn't expecting. I thought she'd be really brash and just brush the whole thing off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Yep I feel like she was very honest and said all the right things. She's clearly very hurt but just got it out of the way and said she won't be talking about it. She even said she felt the need to address it since she invested so much of the relationship in her channel. She could have dragged the arse out if it if she wanted and kept quiet for weeks and kept the focus on her, but fair play she didn't. It seems she just wants to get on with things now. I'm sure she knows the whole thing was a major booby.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cria

Good to see her address the issue and admit she was a small fish in a big pond .. I feel sorry for her in a way she had such big hopes and now she’s gone backwards

I don't know if any of ye follow Paul, but he also addressed it on his Instagram stories. His handle is "bodybycontrol".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

anna080 wrote: »
    I don't know if any of ye follow Paul, but he also addressed it on his Instagram stories. His handle is "bodybycontrol".

Dying to watch but can't get away with checking while at work. What's the jist of what he said?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Dying to watch but can't get away with checking while at work. What's the jist of what he said?

Basically just said that despite what people said he didn't cheat or anything like that and that sometimes things just don't work out. 100% get the impression that he was just never that in to it and she was really reeeeeally into it.

• Advertisement

He said there's no scandal and nothing happened and if people are following him for drama and revelations, there won't be any. He also said he's been getting abusive messages.
    He seemed a bit smarmy if I'm honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

anna080 wrote:
    He said there's no scandal and nothing happened and if people are following him for drama and revelations, there won't be any. He also said he's been getting abusive messages.

Are people really that sad that they would send him abusive messages, not knowing what happened?!? *Sighs*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭ace_irl

I really have a lot of respect for how she addressed it on her snap today. She didn't come on looking for sympathy or drama and she acknowledged that people wanted to know because we'd seen so much of the relationship on her snap. Fair play to her, it can not be easy to have to do that.

That relationships end, hes been getting abusive messages and there won't be any gossip.

His facial expressions and tone of voice were pretty standard for him.
    He's been called smarmy and smirking many times so I'd say that's posters general impression of him rather than it being what he was doing today in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭scarbouro

I definitely don't think he cheated on her especially after him going on Instagram telling people that he didn't cheat. She could easily come on to tell the truth if he did so that would be pointless of him to try lie about it. I personally think he definitely wasn't as invested in the relationship as she was. Maybe when they finally moved in together, he realised this wasn't for him. I would imagine she's quite full on and maybe he decided to put an end to it before it got even more serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭laserlad2010

He seemed a bit smarmy if I'm honest.

Completely disagree. He seemed like he was someone who had already made up his mind. Whenever there's a breakup one person has come to the decision already. That means they've come to terms with it whereas MUF has been blindsided with it.

Paul came across as someone who had already come to terms with it. To be honest, considering you have to plan an Instastory, I'm more impressed with the fact that he was collected and calm and had prepared his words rather than some bloggers who manage to cry spontaneously on camera in the past.

Everyone's entitled to interpret things differently (cool and collected = heartless) but that's how I see it.

As I had said previously, from my own experience in the past sometimes moving in with someone who is more into a relationship than you are can really hammer things home. For example, things that just seem cute when you're together can take on a more wearisome angle if you move in with each other.

• Advertisement

I have to say, I thought Paul seemed completely different on his Instastory than what we usually saw of him on MUF social media. He seemed really subdued. I get the feeling that he only posted because he's been getting nasty messages and it seems that people think he cheated.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

Felt very sorry for her on a human level watching that. She must have been completely blindsided by it.

Sad to hear it confirmed. Was really impressed with how she has handled the announcement with such respect, maturity and dignity. Haven't seen his Insta story but sounds as if he has also addressed it in the same manner. Fair play to both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Danielle1288

MUF has a new product out...a protein shaker!

• Advertisement

From her new fairy fit line.

I'm not mad on the branding. "Do it for the after selfie"...

tumblr_ni1fkvDh1u1rf7n7fo1_500.gif

Bit cringe.

Not a bad product actually- but the design of it would put me off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Please familiarise yourself with the charter, you must have 50 posts before posting in this forum.

Thanks Anna for the translation, my stupid brain couldn't work out (haha pun) the word "after". I feel so dumb. I think the protein shaker is a good idea and not something that's been over done (yet) by Irish bloggers. That said, I really dislike the colours. My mother used to have a jacket in those colours, white with gold trim - told her she looked like one of those retirees off in Florida. Also the ocd in me hates when there's more than two different fonts in a sentence, let alone 3. Best of luck to her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

wyrn wrote:
    Also the ocd in me hates when there's more than two different fonts in a sentence, let alone 3.

Especially when it makes the word "fit" not look like the word fit it you look quickly haha

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭blairbear

I really respect Joanne for how she handled the situation on SC today. She was honest without divulging all of the personal details. It takes guts to get on social media, in front of a few hundred thousand followers and admit to being heart broken but also that you're getting on with it, dressing up and showing up.

Jesus, I had one really unexpected break up a few years ago and nothing was harder than going in to work the next day, and having to choose between pretending everything was okay with the "perfect boyfriend" I had never stopped raving about, or just pulling off the band-aid and telling them he had dumped me. It may be a small hardship in the grand scheme of things, but in that moment, you think the heartache can genuinely kill you.

I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

And I agree that Paul is smarmy AF. But he always has been. That's his default.

mcgiggles wrote: »
    Especially when it makes the word "fit" not look like the word fit it you look quickly haha
    Hahahahaha it looks like "tit" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Lindy97

I'd hope her admission that things weren't as perfect as she made out, might lead her to change and stop projecting these perfect ideal unrealistic images to people but I doubt it. It bugs me when I see people commenting "relationship goals, or body goals" on these people's pictures. You know what they want you to see, and you have no idea what's going on in their lives beyond the perfect selfie being posted.

I also feel if you want to say nothing, great but don't then hint like "I wouldn't have left unless it was serious" just fuels the speculation. "We've split, I'm not speaking about it", is sufficient.

Wonder how much the shaker will be since they're cheap as chips and a lot give stuff away with products.
    Will she go down the Jodie Marsh route and do a range of fitness products (and then lie about the ingredients)

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cria

Lindy97 wrote: »
    I'd hope her admission that things weren't as perfect as she made out, might lead her to change and stop projecting these perfect ideal unrealistic images to people but I doubt it. It bugs me when I see people commenting "relationship goals, or body goals" on these people's pictures. You know what they want you to see, and you have no idea what's going on in their lives beyond the perfect selfie being posted.

I also feel if you want to say nothing, great but don't then hint like "I wouldn't have left unless it was serious" just fuels the speculation. "We've split, I'm not speaking about it", is sufficient.

Wonder how much the shaker will be since they're cheap as chips and a lot give stuff away with products.
    Will she go down the Jodie Marsh route and do a range of fitness products (and then lie about the ingredients)

I felt sorry for her coming on snapchat buy I really hoped she would take some time out to change up her image content names ect but IMO she’s literally stepped back to a year ago back in Ireland doing exactly what she left here for in the first place ,, same childish name filters and she will be back doing exactly what she used to do here when she was a big fish in a small pond .. I would have thought this would be a time to
    Grow and review how to grow from
    How she was a year ago but no straight in to where she left off

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭laylag

Cria wrote:
    I felt sorry for her coming on snapchat buy I really hoped she would take some time out to change up her image content names ect but IMO she’s literally stepped back to a year ago back in Ireland doing exactly what she left here for in the first place ,, same childish name filters and she will be back doing exactly what she used to do here when she was a big fish in a small pond .. I would have thought this would be a time to Grow and review how to grow from How she was a year ago but no straight in to where she left off

Cria this is exactly what I thought as well. I really feel for her but think she should have taken a bit more time to see what the best direction to go in is rather than just rewinding a year, erasing paul and continuing on.
    I can see why she has done this and probably doesn't want to hide away but I feel like she's missing an opportunity to reinvent herself a bit here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

To be fair I've had my heart broken so bad it took all I had to pull myself out of bed. I don't know about you but if I was in her shoes I'd be doing my best to keep my sh1t together without trying to rebrand a business on top of it

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭blairbear

It's only been a few days since she broke up with the man that she thought she was going to end up with!
    She has plenty of time for a rebrand. And to rethink her business strategies. You can't do everything at once and self-care needs to come first in these situations. It's not like she's out drinking herself into oblivion. She's doing her best.

I was never her biggest fan but since the hair loss episode, I have a lot of time for her.

I felt sorry for her when she first posted about coming home. However, that video yesterday made me loose a little bit of sympathy for her. First of all, she's not brave. Yeah it really sucks breaking up with someone especially when it's so public, but to be honest she put herself in that position and it's something most of us have (sadly) experienced. In fact she didn't even have to do that video yesterday, she's under no obligation to anyone but I can see why she did to stop people from asking. A post would have sufficed.

I really took issue when she said she'd only two options; to go full Britney and shave her head or to put on make up, ring light and turn on the love heart filter. This tells me that she's still very immature and not a professional business person. She could have been joking but I don't think she was. They are far more options than those two extremes and it honestly makes me feel uncomfortable that she's telling her audience (who are probably on the younger demographic) that this is her two options after a sudden breakup. I'm sure many people feel like doing a full Britney after a terrible breakup but hers was psychological issue. Anyway, I suppose my other bugbear is the damn filters. I just cannot take anyone serious in them. She's actually addicted which is a shame because she's a really pretty woman with amazing skin.

Side note, bloggers who use ring lights make me laugh because you can see the reflection in their eyes and it makes them look possessed at times.

Yea and I'd imagine she's had those products in the pipeline for ages, and it just so happened to be bad timing that they're coming out this week. She's hardly gonna call the release off and be like "hold the phone you guys! Imma rebrand the shlt out of myself"..
    tbh let's just be happy she's steering away from the Tiffany blue and unicorns! One step at a time people!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Yea and I'd imagine she's had those products in the pipeline for ages, and it just so happened to be bad timing that they're coming out this week. She's hardly gonna call the release off and be like "hold the phone you guys! Imma rebrand the shlt out of myself"..
    tbh let's just be happy she's steering away from the Tiffany blue and unicorns! One step at a time people!! :pac:

The state of that cup though!

I know pure foul! But sure look

The state of that cup though!
    I'm just so happy that it's not a candle! No seriously though I'm actually happy it's something different from all the bloggers. Sick of the palettes, brushes, lippies, fake nail and eyelashes... It's not great (as it's something that you usually get free) but it's a bit more original

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

wyrn wrote: »
    I'm just so happy that it's not a candle! No seriously though I'm actually happy it's something different from all the bloggers. Sick of the palettes, brushes, lippies, fake nail and eyelashes... It's not great (as it's something that you usually get free) but it's a bit more original

I wonder how much it'll cost. If people pay more than €5/6 for it they're deluded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭ace_irl

She's releasing it with Keerigans so I'd say you will get one free if you spend so much on her range with them. I hope they're not crazy money to buy though. Think I paid €2 for mine which is actually from Kerrigans.

• Advertisement

I've one I got in Penneys for €1.50. I'll be damned if I'd pay more than that

Advertisement