Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not being paid for full shift

Options
  • 04-07-2017 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭

Not expecting much here, but I'd like some opinions.

My nephew recently started a job in a shop. He begins work in the morning at 7, setting up, sorting newspapers etc.
    Having been in the business for decades I was curious to see how he was getting on.
    He told me that he's not paid from 7, but from 7:30 when the shop opens. Apparently "we only pay for the hours the shop is open". It seems in the evening, the staff don't get paid after 11 when the shop closes despite having to clean and tidy up and put away tills.

I was shocked. In my time in the business I paid everybody for hours worked with a limit on closing up to get the place tidy (15 mins was enough). The owner of this place has another business and turns up 3 days a week between 10 and 1 to "look after stuff".

Anyway, I was wondering what opinions were on this forum. I know what I'd get in Work & Jobs :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

DubTony wrote: »
    Not expecting much here, but I'd like some opinions.

My nephew recently started a job in a shop. He begins work in the morning at 7, setting up, sorting newspapers etc.
    Having been in the business for decades I was curious to see how he was getting on.
    He told me that he's not paid from 7, but from 7:30 when the shop opens. Apparently "we only pay for the hours the shop is open". It seems in the evening, the staff don't get paid after 11 when the shop closes despite having to clean and tidy up and put away tills.

I was shocked. In my time in the business I paid everybody for hours worked with a limit on closing up to get the place tidy (15 mins was enough). The owner of this place has another business and turns up 3 days a week between 10 and 1 to "look after stuff".

Anyway, I was wondering what opinions were on this forum. I know what I'd get in Work & Jobs :D

He's working for a absolute clown obviously.

Tell him to update his cv, get it out there and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

If your nephew is on a low wage, then the additional hours are likely to have the effect of reducing his hourly rate below the legal minimum, but making a formal complaint to NERA may not be good for his future.

He should get his experience then find another job.

I don't know why employers seem to think that employees should work unpaid hours, if the work is of value to the employer and needs to be done then it should be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭via4

I was in these kind of jobs before, it's crap but common.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Does he get paid during breaks? If so that could offset against early and late.

If not, its illegal.

He should have a written contract, holiday pay @8%; of hours worked and assuming he is working at least 40 hours in a five week period, bank holiday pay or paid time off in lieu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

I don't know why employers seem to think that employees should work unpaid hours, if the work is of value to the employer and needs to be done then it should be paid.

Because they are getting away with it is why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

He's not paid for breaks, although there are no records (clock cards or time sheets).

A friend just told me that this nonsense is quite common in pubs. On a busy night it seems staff can be there for ages after closing to clean up. He maintains that in many cases they aren't paid after a certain time. This is bizarre to me. It's like slavery for Gods sake.

Anyway he's actively looking for another job.

Thanks all.

Advertisement