Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snatch and run

Options
  • 04-07-2017 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭

Just saw a poor lad getting the mobile snatched off him by a scumbag on the street on the quays at the pedestrian bridge (bouncy one).

Hadn't a chance keeping up with him as he was gone like a shot.....ive had it happen me in Tenerife but id have been a bit more trusting here....mistakenly so.....phone in the pocket from now on!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Happens all the time unfortunately. I must have a scary face! as they have walked past me (had my phone in my hand texting) and went for someone else's a couple of feet away. To be honest I'd love the chance at giving them a kicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭sheepo

Yeah common enough, seen it a couple of times now. Last time was on Suffolk St., chap came up on a bike with a scarf over his face, grabbed the phone from a foreign girl, gone then in two seconds flat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

It's not really surprising given how easy people make phones to steal.
    I dont understand this business of walking along with an expensive phone in your hand,apple logo pointing out at chest level like its some kind of fashion statement...usually with a starbucks coffee sticking out at an angle in the other hand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭mick.oleary

MysticMonk wrote: »
    It's not really surprising given how easy people make phones to steal.
    I dont understand this business of walking along with an expensive phone in your hand,apple logo pointing out at chest level like its some kind of fashion statement...usually with a starbucks coffee sticking out at an angle in the other hand.

Are you really trying to blame the victims?

I should be able to walk down the street with a necklace of €500 bills around my neck and be safe to do so while leaving my front door at home unlocked with the rest of the €500 bills that did not fit on my necklace selotaped to my living room window for all to see.

What is needed is more hardworking Gardai on the streets strategically placed to be able to catch thieving scum. Private security guards working in shops could even be used to help with this.

I should be able to walk down the street with a necklace of €500 bills around my neck and be safe to do so while leaving my front door at home unlocked with the rest of the €500 bills that did not fit on my necklace selotaped to my living room window for all to see.

There's no country on earth where that would be considered anything but profoundly idiotic.

• Advertisement

There's no country on earth where that would be considered anything but profoundly idiotic.

Profoundly idealistic actually.

Profoundly idealistic actually.

Well you keep your idealism,I'll keep my valuables where they're not so easy to steal.

Well you keep your idealism,I'll keep my valuables where they're not so easy to steal.

Keep your snide insults as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

A common occurrence around there unfortunately. I work close by and we always get emails from the Gardai about vigilence in regard to phone and of course personal safety. To be fair, there's not much the Gardai can do when the thief is allowed to rack up hundreds of charges before getting a sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭L1011

This has been dying off hugely due to the IMEI blocklists - phones are effectively only worth parts value now, or any premium rate content you can get before the SIM is killed. Was vastly more common even 5 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

L1011 wrote: »
    This has been dying off hugely due to the IMEI blocklists - phones are effectively only worth parts value now, or any premium rate content you can get before the SIM is killed. Was vastly more common even 5 years ago.

I was wondering how much they're worth to them. When it happened me I got straight on and cancelled so they didn't get a chance to try and make premium calls. Must have been used for parts as ive still got tracking on it and it's tells me it hasn't been powered on since.....unless there's a way around that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

Are you really trying to blame the victims?

What is needed is more hardworking Gardai on the streets strategically placed to be able to catch thieving scum. Private security guards working in shops could even be used to help with this.

Ah come on. There is a big difference between victim-blaming and advising people to take some personal responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Ah come on. There is a big difference between victim-blaming and advising people to take some personal responsibility.

So we shouldn't take our phones out on the street for fear of it being robbed? Madness.

VonLuck wrote: »
    So we shouldn't take our phones out on the street for fear of it being robbed? Madness.

Just be carefull thats all. If you *must* have your phone out at all times (in case something hugely important pops up on snapchat) at least have a bit of situational awareness and have a look around at your surroundings occasionaly.

This doesnt just apply if you want to avoid being robbed,it also applies if you want to avoid getting run over...i have no idea why people cannot wait to cross the road before checking their phone ..or worse yet,walk in front of traffic with their faces buried in whatever online nonsense they're so absorbed in.

Smartphone Zombies,nothing less.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Saw it happen a couple of times - once on Cork St. and once on College Green. The robbers took off like Usain Bolt, they were gone before the victims knew what was up.

Advertisement