Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal cycling recommendations

Options
  • 04-07-2017 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

I'll be heading to Donegal at the end of July for a few days with bike, maybe Inishowen or Ardara focus.

Does anyone have b&b recommendations (particularly if cycle friendly)?

Route recommendations (c.100 k) also welcome! Mountains and coastal scenery a plus.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Ardara/glenties would be a decent base for the south west, plenty of places b&bs, hotels, airbnb etc. Can get a loop out round glencolumbcille and kilcar that would take in glengesh and slieve league. Also can loop north round maghery and crohy head through the rosses and back, pretty great coastal views that way too.a final one would be inland towards fintown, cloghan, churchill and round the back road to doochary, another lumpy day in the saddle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,608 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

maybe a bit longer than you anticipated, but the inishowen 100 has been around for many years, long enough that it's 100 miles rather than km.
    it does take in the mamore gap, which will put manners on you depending on whether you go clockwise or anti-clockwise. some fantastic scenery around there - i recently brought my wife up, who had never been (my dad's from carndonagh, so i've been going up since i've been a few months old) and she was amazed by some of the scenery.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭DonegalBay

This is the long route for our Sportive which starts in Donegal Town, but passes through Ardara. Cut out the section to/from Donegal Town and you will still have a great ride with everything you need based out of Ardara.

https://www.strava.com/routes/7526382

This is a video we had produced from our Sportive this year which should help give you a bit of inspiration.

https://www.facebook.com/donegaltowncyclingclub/videos/1335914163161641/?pnref=story

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Take a spin down to Port, near Glencolumcille. A beautiful place. In-and-out road, but very much worth it. Glengesh pass into Ardara also excellent.

Fish and Chips (or Chicken Maryland) at Charlie's in Ardara not to be missed. Ditto music in the Corner House, and a quiet pint in Nancy's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

Here are a couple of shortish options around the southern half of Inishowen:

Buncrana/Grainne's Gap/Brae Rd (~30km)

Scenic trundle along Lough Swilly to Buncrana, then climb up over the mountain with a fine view of both loughs Swilly an Foyle at the top of the gap.

Buncrana/Illies/Quigley's Pt/Burnfoot (~50km)

Same Swilly side section, then up through the Illies and over the mountains down towards Quigley's Point. Main road back to Burnfoot not the most exciting in the world, but should you want to throw more climbing and scenery at it, you could head up the other way to Grainne's Gap by turning right towards Iskaheen just before Muff (stop it!!!) on the way in from Quigley's Point

• Advertisement
Advertisement