Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clearing weeds from lawn, animals grazing.

Options
  • 04-07-2017 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭

Hi all we have lots, and lots and lots of weeds in our lawn, mostly doc, daisy, dandelion and a few weird ones I'm trying to get the lawn up to scratch as the rest of the garden is looking good these days but the problem is I have a rabbit and a few hens the occasionally graze in the garden. Also we have a hedgehog family that lives in the garden and frogs in our pond, plus about a hundred birds the visit the garden daily and I don't want to poison any of them. Do it by hand isn't really an option due to the scale of the problem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Also it's cut every 6 or 7 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

iamtony wrote: »
    Hi all we have lots, and lots and lots of weeds in our lawn, mostly doc, daisy, dandelion and a few weird ones I'm trying to get the lawn up to scratch as the rest of the garden is looking good these days but the problem is I have a rabbit and a few hens the occasionally graze in the garden. Also we have a hedgehog family that lives in the garden and frogs in our pond, plus about a hundred birds the visit the garden daily and I don't want to poison any of them. Do it by hand isn't really an option due to the scale of the problem.

I live in a town with a garden and would dearly love that range of animals visiting. :D
    Most weeds will be kept in check by regular moving. I set the blades of my at the start of the year and never vary them. Best tip I ever got.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I live in a town with a garden and would dearly love that range of animals visiting. :D
    Most weeds will be kept in check by regular moving. I set the blades of my at the start of the year and never vary them. Best tip I ever got.
    So do I ha, I live in Dublin 17 for Christ sake. But it was a case of build it and they will come. Had an unwelcome visit from a heron the other morning trying to clear out my fish pond(I have a nature pond for the frogs).

The weeds are fine the day it's mowed but after 3 or 4 days at this time of year the buttercups are up and the daisies and the doc just doesn't give up. there's even a section of garden that was under slabs and then when they were moved layed roll out grass and the doc still grew through it. I also have a problem with the dredded bindweed in the flowerbeds and in the greenhouse but the rabbits and chickens love to eat it so I just keep pulling it out, although I would like it gone mind you, it grows so fast it's like so something out of a horror film.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

iamtony wrote: »

Stop calling it. "Lawn" and call it a "garden", it lessens the need for perfection, works for me anyway.

Docks can be pulled if you get the nack, something like a claw hammer slid on each side and gentle pull and the big tap root comes out. Once that's out it's dead.

I had allot of docs in particular and what I did was use roundup, piece of 2*1 about 60cm long with a sponge on the end. Dip sponge in roundup and carefully dab it on the plant. Few goes at the "garden" and I had them cleared. It's amazing the number you do on 30 minutes an odd evening.

But in general I'd say relax dandelion is great for bees.

Advertisement