Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting insurance as a named driver

Options
  • 04-07-2017 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

My daughter wants to get her own car and learn to drive, but of course insurance on her own is astonomical. I am trying to figure out a way of adding her as a named driver. The problem is that I already have 2 policies in my name and I have no claims bonuses on them, so I cant have a 3rd policy. My husband is a named driver on both my policies but has no no claims bonus of his own. He could insure the new car in his name and with named driver experience it wouldnt be that high, however a few insurance companies have said that he can not then add my daughter as he has no noclaims of his own. Has anyone done this or know of an insurance company that will allow a learner driver as a named driver on a policy where the main driver has no no claims in their own name?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Insuring a car in someones name with the main driver as a named driver in order to receive a discount is fronting and isn't allowed by the insurance companies.
    Given you have 2 policies in your name could you add your daughter to one of those while she learns and then when she has her full licence it will be a bit cheaper for her to go out on her own at any rate.
    Could you even transfer your own insurance to the car she wants to get temporarily if it is a case of your cars would be unsuitable for her to learn to drive in (expensive, big, large engine, powerful, etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

What's you're talking about it called fronting and insurance companies are seriously clamping down on it. If your daughter is the main driver of the car, she should be the policy holder. When getting quotes for her, try Boxymo if she's not doing high mileage or if you want a regular policy, adding yourself and your husband as named drivers will generally bring down the quote

• Registered Users Posts: 10 lauraeire

I tried boxymo on her own policy it would be over €4000

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I got insured on my Aunt's car. I'd suggest doing something similar. You're just going to be throwing money away getting a policy based on a Learner Permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

I got insured on my Aunt's car. I'd suggest doing something similar. You're just going to be throwing money away getting a policy based on a Learner Permit.

That's ok if your aunt is the main driver, but not if you drive it more then she does.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Skatedude wrote: »
    That's ok if your aunt is the main driver, but not if you drive it more then she does.

I said it's her car. It's her car. Don't go skewing things i said because some other young fellas were desperate to reduce the costs of their insurance.

Advertisement