Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wedding budget

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Fionabee

good one! 😂Lol like the way it mentions cost of fake tan for bridesmaids & photographer taking pics of people stuffing their faces! 😂 Like the tip on videographer & cutting photographers hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Michandatt

Some good tips in there! Could seriously do with cutting a few corners!

Like their idea of growing own baby breath flowers. Wonder if it's easy? Anybody have any experience of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭MaryMD

Hey all thought I'd share this came across this for planning my own big day and there was a few handy tips in it for saving. https://www.weddingpixie.com/blog/tips-on-keeping-wedding-budget-and-costs-low/ we found money tight in the lead up to it and had to make a few cuts here and there but I think we were right to cut things than build up big debt

Love it! Could seriously do with this! Michandatt I got my mum to grow some baby breath for me and it worked out grand. I could be wrong though I think it grows only at a certain time of year...Worth looking into if you are considering it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

The only one I don't like is the advice to have a week day wedding. Yes, saves the couple money but actually loads cost onto guests by requiring them to use their precious annual leave.

Now if most of your friends happen to be teachers or work in some industry where you all take August off for example, of course theres nothing wrong with it if its not going to inconvenience others, but cutting your costs by knowingly impacting others is quite selfish.

I had two weddings last year (in Ireland) that involved taking two days off work as they were on a Wednesday and Thursday respectively and we significantly far from home that guests had to travel and stay over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

SozBbz wrote: »
    The only one I don't like is the advice to have a week day wedding. Yes, saves the couple money but actually loads cost onto guests by requiring them to use their precious annual leave.

Now if most of your friends happen to be teachers or work in some industry where you all take August off for example, of course theres nothing wrong with it if its not going to inconvenience others, but cutting your costs by knowingly impacting others is quite selfish.

There are legitimate reasons to have weekday weddings which I don't mind (civil marriages for example), but to do it to save money at the expense of your guests is a bit selfish if your having anything other then close friends and family!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

GingerLily wrote: »
    but to do it to save money at the expense of your guests is a bit selfish if your having anything other then close friends and family!

Or you're on Don't Tell the Bride. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭StarBright01

We've been to a few Thursday weddings didn't mind when they are close friends. But its all personal I guess!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Tbh I've always thought that a lot of things couples spend money on for weddings aren't needed at all. It's just expected because everyone else does it. Examples:
    - Wedding favours. Nobody would miss these!
    - Renting an expensive wedding car. Just for pointless show for about 5 minutes at the venues it seems.
    - Bridesmaids/groomsmen clothes. Ok this one is probably controversial :P But why not just let them wear what they want!? I think I heard before that they do this in Germany. They'd be attending the wedding anyway, so just let them wear what they would have chosen themselves as a regular guest. Nobody wants to be forced to wear something that is the wrong shape/colour for them and the couple saves money.

I agree with the point about the videographer also. I honestly didn't even realise that was a thing until fairly recently!! Who would ever want to watch that. Imagine the feeling you get when you hear your recorded voice played back to you... times a hundred :P

The one point I disagree with is about not giving plus ones. I think if someone is married or in a serious relationship it's rude not to invite their partner. However if someone is single or not in a serious relationship, then there's no need for a plus one (unless maybe they literally know nobody else going so a plus one could save them from being a billy no mates).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

We've been to a few Thursday weddings didn't mind when they are close friends. But its all personal I guess!

I think it depends on how many days of annual leave you have and how many weddings you've been invited to...

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

woodchuck wrote: »
    I agree with the point about the videographer also. I honestly didn't even realise that was a thing until fairly recently!! Who would ever want to watch that. Imagine the feeling you get when you hear your recorded voice played back to you... times a hundred :P

Our wedding video is one of the most precious things I own. I got a friend to do it so didn't cost much and isnt amazing quality or anything but to be able to see several people at our wedding talking and dancing and smiling is amazing especially as they have now passed away and you can look at all the pictures you want but to be able to see hiw their face moved, expressions they make and how their voice sounds is priceless. I would tell everyone I know to get a video and not to skip it.

• Advertisement

greenttc wrote: »
    Our wedding video is one of the most precious things I own. I got a friend to do it so didn't cost much and isnt amazing quality or anything but to be able to see several people at our wedding talking and dancing and smiling is amazing especially as they have now passed away and you can look at all the pictures you want but to be able to see hiw their face moved, expressions they make and how their voice sounds is priceless. I would tell everyone I know to get a video and not to skip it.

I know where you're coming from. Everyone's choices are so different when it comes to weddings! I can understand though at the same time if someone is tight on funds that a videographer might be one of the first to be cut from the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lindag12

Ohh like the idea of growing yere own baby breath. Would love to hear if someone has done it successfully?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

woodchuck wrote: »
    I think it depends on how many days of annual leave you have and how many weddings you've been invited to...

Exactly. We've had a good few weddings each year for the past 3 years and its set to continue for the next few years I'd say.

My job is a bit more flexable but my OH has a not very generous Annual Leave policy at his job, so between weddings and having to keep 3 days back for Christmas, he's not left with a huge amount for us to go on our own holidays. Last year we just went away for 5 nights alone (using a weekend) and that was the only non wedding related trip we took together.

I think theres a bit of a venue shortage fueling this, especially at the top end. They're so over subscribed that they can put all sorts of restrictions in on booking. Both of the midweek weddings we were at last year were because the B&G really wanted the venue but either couldnt/didnt want to/whatever meet the venues numbers for a weekend booking. They both wanted 80 approx but the venues wawnted 120+ for a Friday/Saturday or Sunday booking.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Lindag12 wrote: »
    Ohh like the idea of growing yere own baby breath. Would love to hear if someone has done it successfully?

Babys breath apparently smells a lot like wee, so florists usually offer a similar but not piss-smelling alternative for floral arrangements. I don't know the name of it but it would be a shame to spend ages (and money) on growing it only to have to reject it when the time comes for fear people think the smell comes from you! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Cutting out the wedding party or cutting down to best man and maid of honour is one of the easiest ways to save money. You save on hair, makeup, outfits, flowers, presents and often accommodation and transport. In my experience most people would prefer not to be a bridesmaid anyway.

Flowers are another great area to save. They're expensive for the impact they have. Rent or buy&resell more long lasting decorations for the ceremony venue and you can save a lot. You just need to put some thought into it.

If you can travel to the salon you can typically save quite a bit on hair and makeup. That's a bit timing and location dependent though.

Having the ceremony immediate family only in the registry office saved us a lot. Wouldn't be for everyone but no ceremony venue cost, no ceremony music, no ceremony decor, no celebrant fee, no booklets.

Neyite wrote: »
    Babys breath apparently smells a lot like wee, so florists usually offer a similar but not piss-smelling alternative for floral arrangements. I don't know the name of it but it would be a shame to spend ages (and money) on growing it only to have to reject it when the time comes for fear people think the smell comes from you! :D

Brilliant :D:D SO NOT what you want on your wedding day :D

Advertisement