Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. Kevin's Hospital is on fire

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

They used to have much more comprehensive security, but it was removed after public outrage at the cost. Can't win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

TheChizler wrote: »
    They used to have much more comprehensive security, but it was removed after public outrage at the cost. Can't win.

While the fire was going on the other night and people left the site, i was one of the last out of it, the security guard manning the top end of it tried to physically stop a group of 5 youths who wanted to go down and look.

Needless to say they just ran past him and carried on down, he (security) didn't even try and go after them.

At that point there were still no gardai on site.

A black 11-D registered Mercedes did pull up and was permitted access though.

"It is understood that an external security firm had been contracted to provide twice daily security patrols and that the site also had static guards on site on high-risk nights such as bonfire nights."

This was rather p*ss poor, vandals don't conveniently show up twice a day for apprehension and having static guards on a handful of 'high risk' nights a year? Really? The place was a magnet for kids, vandals, so-called ghost hunters and all sorts.

As mentioned, security cost was an issue.

Needless to say it was indeed a magnet for not just youths, but for everybody for both the right and wrong reasons and will be the looks of it continue to be so into the future.

A small fire broke out inside the building in the last hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

KC161 wrote: »
    A small fire broke out inside the building in the last hour.

Where did u hear that? What's going on?

• Advertisement

fin12 wrote: »
    Where did u hear that? What's going on?

I witnessed it. I live around the corner. 3 fire trucks raced up Shanakiel.

It was under control quickly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

• Registered Users Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

"Enhanced security measures"
    Talk about horses and stable doors....

"Enhanced security measures"
    Talk about horses and stable doors....

Sure even with the enhancements there was another fire last evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Sure even with the enhancements there was another fire last evening.

Might have been something smouldering that flared up again, giving people the benefit of the doubt.

Might have been something smouldering that flared up again, giving people the benefit of the doubt.

After 3 days??? I agree with what you're saying though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

One thing I am glad to see is the Cork City Fire Service seems to have the right equipment to deal with a large building like that.

A lot of our fire services are really under resourced.

Not much has been reported since the fire, but they want to convert it into housing, not the first time it has been mentioned.

Would a joint city/county council project of this size work though?

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Councils-should-take-on-derelict-hospital-953c70e5-51fd-428f-8d48-9ed191b27acd-ds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Not much has been reported since the fire, but they want to convert it into housing, not the first time it has been mentioned.

Would a joint city/county council project of this size work though?

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Councils-should-take-on-derelict-hospital-953c70e5-51fd-428f-8d48-9ed191b27acd-ds
    It's something worth examining, but I've a problem with her statement "It would be pragmatic because it would be cost-effective", as she doesn't mention a single figure in the article, so has no idea of the costs involved.

It's something worth examining, but I've a problem with her statement "It would be pragmatic because it would be cost-effective", as she doesn't mention a single figure in the article, so has no idea of the costs involved.

I agree, I’d be interested in knowing the figures for this cost effectiveness.

The rebuild costs post fire are likely to be far more than pre fire.

It’s over 6 months now and I think they are waiting for someone to torch the remaining third of it as very little has been said about it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

No way it is cost effective. The “clean up” of the land alone will have you running millions. Plus the access issue. It would snarl Shanakiel hill and Sunday’s well up more than they already are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

bot43 wrote: »
    No way it is cost effective. The “clean up” of the land alone will have you running millions. Plus the access issue. It would snarl Shanakiel hill and Sunday’s well up more than they already are.
    In a time of housing shortage, it was a soundbite from Forde to appeal to the electorate with council elections in 2019.

In a time of housing shortage, it was a soundbite from Forde to appeal to the electorate with council elections in 2019.

I'd say something if it were in Forde's ward, which it isn't.

Indirectly it may or may not earn her some votes, even if this was approved tomorrow morning, there wouldn't be a hope in hell they would have that site ready in less than 18 months.

We'll probably have Local and General elections close together.

The only other thing i can think of to compare the proposal to is Cork Foyer in Blackpool, the former Assumption Convent.

http://www.corkfoyer.ie/

The adjoining church was taken over by the Graffiti Theatre company

https://graffiti.ie/

That wasn't burned down though and refurbishing that was minimal to the task of St Kevin's, not to mention the land with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

It is indeed not in Fordes ward, but with the boundary extension and where her own area is, she will be in the city boundary so perhaps she is thinking ahead.
    But then reality is real, politics is talk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

http://www.eveningecho.ie/nationalnews/HSE-to-sell-former-Cork-hospital-on-open-market-73bc04b2-1ed1-4de0-82c3-7f10bbcd2189-ds

HSE plan on flogging it off.
    City Council say they want it for housing
    HSE say they offered it before to gov and got no answer

Wonder will there be another fire soon that necessitates its levelling....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

You'd wonder.
    Refurbishing that building to make it suitable for modern apartments is probably more expensive than building new ones.

The only solution I could see is retain the facade and build a totally new structure behind it.

We can't allow it to become a crumbling eyesore for decades. That's where it's headed.

Slamming urgent housing projects into hugely expensive restoration projects is a very, very bad idea. We've a homeless crisis that needs serious, highly quality, cost effective and rapid solutions and an architectural salvage project shouldn't be trying to divert funds out of that.

If you want to turn this into some kind of major urban heritage project, great but don't hold up the provision of urgent social housing in the middle of a crisis where people are sleeping on the streets and living in hotels.

It’ll probably end up going down the same line of development as the good shepherd.

Personally I’d like to see the building preserved and I speak as a direct relative of a former in-patient.

Advertisement