Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems returning from maternity leave

Options
  • 04-07-2017 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hoping someone can give me some advice....went on maternity leave and took some of the unpaid leave. When I started the unpaid leave I was taking, I requested to add on the annual leave, public holidays etc I had accrued. After 2 weeks, I called my employer as I had not had any confirmation from them. He told me that it was absolutely fine, no problem at all. He also asked how long I was coming back for?! I said I don't understand what you mean...he asked if I wanted to come back full time (as I have been for 3 years) or part time. I said if it was possible to come to an agreement on a 3 day week, I would be very open to the possibility. We ended the phone call with an agreement to arrange to meet up to discuss it further. Since then, I have tried on numerous occasions to get an answer/meeting and I just keep getting told 'we'll call you in a couple of days'. I have no idea if I will be working 5 days or 3 days or even which days now. I have stated several times over the last few weeks my urgency in needing this discussion in order for me to organise childcare. This week marks the beginning of the annual leave and I'm really really stressed. I asked if my annual leave wages would be paid in cash (as per before my leave) or into my bank account (which they switched to during it) and still no answer. I have 3 weeks annual leave left and still no idea where I stand to organise a minder for my baby! Advice needed please!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

At this stage I'd be showing up there and door stepping him and not leaving until you get an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Gangu

At this stage I'd be showing up there and door stepping him and not leaving until you get an answer.

Switch to written correspondence. Assume your previous arrangements continue until any new terms are confirmed in writing

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dizzy bee

Unfortunately, he doesn't keep regular hours and despite calling into my place of work several times I have been unable to catch him there. It's a small company and he just pops in and out as he pleases. I have tried calling and no answer. At the moment, I am just getting text messages saying 'sorry, will give you a call and arrange something in the next few days'

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dizzy bee

Gangu wrote: »
    Switch to written correspondence. Assume your previous arrangements continue until any new terms are confirmed in writing

The issue with assuming my previous terms is that if I book my baby into crèche for 5 days and they put me on 3, I'm tied into paying for the extra days at crèche which I wouldn't be able to afford

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭cleanslate

Dizzy bee wrote: »
    The issue with assuming my previous terms is that if I book my baby into crèche for 5 days and they put me on 3, I'm tied into paying for the extra days at crèche which I wouldn't be able to afford

Can you speak to the creche and explain, can they be flexible at all or even change from 5 to 3 day on the second week if you get the 3 day week. This is very unfair of your employer, I feel for you, it's so stressful. Try and enjoy your last week's with your little baba

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Could you not book the creche for 3 days initially, if you then needed the full 5 days I cant imagine they would say no to you!?

Advertisement