Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suffer in Silence or Speak Up

Options
  • 04-07-2017 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi All
    A little background

Iv worked for the same company for over 4 years now and the last 9 months I moved to a different department. I work in an office. I began at a very busy time before Christmas and in my opinion was very briefly trained up and it really felt there was so much to take in with not much time. I had already some experience of the systems used but not on all this department used.

*rant alert*

Basically I ended up not logging details correct on our system although I had asked my colleagues beside me at the time who never showed me everything. My manager then comes to me months later saying I need to fix and amend all these details now. I was never trained properly and my manager made out I was the one at fault. I don't understand as there is so many details and rules of high importance and then they don't bother training you this and than call love to tell you your mistakes you make.

I'm now being trained in another area I missed out on in the beginning. I'm struggling a little to learn but I ask question to try and understand and I can feel my managers inpatients with me as they have been there years. I'm a slow paced learner as I'm dyslexic in maths and this area involves calculations so I try to stay calm and ensure all is done correctly. I finally got it today and after that my manger was looking for other things I should/shouldn't have done and I was taking too long and that I need to think.

I understand she needs to do her job and correct me. And I'm an adult but I'm starting to feel like a child being told off and not appreciated for work I have done.

I recall a few days ago no one else bothered to be available for calls and I received call after call after call.:eek: I really feel I'm doing my best and with my manager I feel they continues point out everything I should do to her liking down to collecting a sheet of paper off a desk.

So what I'm wandering is should I run around to ensure all is done to suit my manager or actually speak up and say well if I was trained properly in the first place perhaps these mistakes would not happen and I haven't collected the paper from the desk as I was doing something else and I will when I get a chance. Not so cheekily :) of course

Its starting to really get to me that if its not one thing its another with my manager. \I know I'm quiet but does not mean someone can always be on to you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Lougarden

Hi All
    A little background

Iv worked for the same company for over 4 years now and the last 9 months I moved to a different department. I work in an office. I began at a very busy time before Christmas and in my opinion was very briefly trained up and it really felt there was so much to take in with not much time. I had already some experience of the systems used but not on all this department used.

*rant alert*

Basically I ended up not logging details correct on our system although I had asked my colleagues beside me at the time who never showed me everything. My manager then comes to me months later saying I need to fix and amend all these details now. I was never trained properly and my manager made out I was the one at fault. I don't understand as there is so many details and rules of high importance and then they don't bother training you this and than call love to tell you your mistakes you make.

I'm now being trained in another area I missed out on in the beginning. I'm struggling a little to learn but I ask question to try and understand and I can feel my managers inpatients with me as they have been there years. I'm a slow paced learner as I'm dyslexic in maths and this area involves calculations so I try to stay calm and ensure all is done correctly. I finally got it today and after that my manger was looking for other things I should/shouldn't have done and I was taking too long and that I need to think.

I understand she needs to do her job and correct me. And I'm an adult but I'm starting to feel like a child being told off and not appreciated for work I have done.

I recall a few days ago no one else bothered to be available for calls and I received call after call after call.:eek: I really feel I'm doing my best and with my manager I feel they continues point out everything I should do to her liking down to collecting a sheet of paper off a desk.

So what I'm wandering is should I run around to ensure all is done to suit my manager or actually speak up and say well if I was trained properly in the first place perhaps these mistakes would not happen and I haven't collected the paper from the desk as I was doing something else and I will when I get a chance. Not so cheekily :) of course

Its starting to really get to me that if its not one thing its another with my manager. \I know I'm quiet but does not mean someone can always be on to you

Stay calm. Your manager is panicking, the system/process has failed in that it allowed incorrect or incomplete entries for months that went unnoticed. There should have been controls in place to catch this proactively and not reactively. There are also gaps in the training provisions if this could have happened for months unnoticed. Does your manager do weekly one to ones? ...please don't suffer in silence or you will always feel like you are in the wrong or paranoid that something is wrong even when not.

Don't confront in front of others but ask for a meeting and use this as an opportunity. Explain that there has been gaps in training and that you need support to rectify the incomplete data, you could see it as an opportunity to work with them on their training skills and human resource management. You will not have been the first to make a mistake like this, it sounds like they need to tighten processes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Never stew in silence. It will keep going on if you don't flag it. It is the manager's role to ensure their team has whatever training and support they need to do their job. So don't be shy about asking them for support.

Is there scope for automating some of the mathematical work you have to do? If you do a lot of numerical work, is there someone who could help out with some spreadsheet formulas to take out a lot of the calculations & double-checking that's slowing you down?

Advertisement