Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeat punctures.

Options
  • 04-07-2017 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭

On the last three occasions that I've gone to get my bike, the back wheel has been flat. The first 2 times I changed the tubes I was in a hurry and only did a quick feel of the tyre and wheel. But on the third occasion I had plenty of time to inspect everything. As I believed that at this stage there must've been something causing the deflation! Hadn't had a puncture in 2 years up to this point. Anyway I removed the tyre and noticed a hole/cut in the tube right above where there was a hole in the rubber band that sits in the rim. So I came to the conclusion that when the tube inflated, it expanded into this hole and caused the puncture. I also noticed another small hole appearing in another area of the rubber band. These holes or weaknesses appear above the spoke holes. Anyway I went around all the spoke areas on the band and reinforced them with insulating tape. So far so good. But I was just wondering, do these rubber bands need upgrading/replacing every so often and can you get ones which are of better quality than others. This is an area of biking that I've never had problems with before or even thought about for that matter!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It sounds like you need to replace your rim tape. It's inexpensive and available from Chain Reaction and similar stores.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/rim-tape?f=2259 Loads to choose from - just to confuse you.

The insulating tape is a good fix but it won't last as long as new rim tape.

Ultimate solution: New wheels that don't use rim tape. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

crosstownk wrote: »

Pretty sure a new bike would work too:D

I've been having a similar problem: eight punctures in the last few weeks on a new wheel. Definitely pinch punctures. Replaced the rim-tape, brought it into the shop and re-seated the tape again. This morning, I got another one and had had enough. I've brought it to the shop again and if they can't fix it, I'll just get yet another new wheel. Can't be having this, going to and from work. At this rate, I'm having to patch a tube every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Definitely pinch punctures.

If you're sure they're pinch flats then it's most likely low tyre pressure or incorrect installation.

Are the punctures always in the same location in relation to the tyre? It's useful to mount the tyre brand logo at the valve stem to help to identify the location of the offending section of tyre.

If rim tape is the problem then the tube will be punctured on the inner side.

Yeah, the punctures are on the inner side. Collecting it from the shop this afternoon, so we'll see what the craic is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I also experienced similar grief, kept getting slow punctures on back tire - even with good pressure. Too much crap on Dublin roads! Last straw was when I dug out a 3 inch shard of glass which had embedded itself in the outer tire. Have since upgraded to tougher tires (marathon plus I think), no flats in 9+ months.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭spoke2cun

crosstownk wrote: »
    It sounds like you need to replace your rim tape. It's inexpensive and available from Chain Reaction and similar stores.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/rim-tape?f=2259 Loads to choose from - just to confuse you.

The insulating tape is a good fix but it won't last as long as new rim tape.

100% correct. After putting 2 strips of insulating tape over every spoke hole, one 65 KM spin and 22 KM into 2nd spin later, puncture again. New rim tape purchased.

Got my bike back from the shop on Wednesday. Managed to get home and back into work without any problems, but it went flat again yesterday - the ninth puncture I've had with this new wheel in the last four weeks of riding. Luckily, I was on the way home and only about a 20 minute walk from the door. Brought it back into the shop this morning for the third time.

:pac::confused::eek::mad::(:rolleyes:

I don't know what to feel any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I don't know what to feel any more.
    I'd feel like finding a new bike shop if it was the rim tape, and they hadn't sorted it yet!

After the tenth puncture on Saturday, I brought it in for the fourth time on Monday. They replaced the wheel with a different model and I've had no hassle since.

I understand the scepticism of the lads in the shop, but they actually were quite helpful and never charged me for any of the labour, rim-tape, tubes or the new wheel as it only started happening when I bought the previous wheel from them in May.

Despite different kinds of rim-tape, the spoke holes always managed to cause a puncture.

So, I'd add "wheel" to the list of potential causes. :confused:

Anyway, it's all grand now. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Interesting thread. Got 2 punctures today, 1 rear and 1 front. And at start of a spin last Wednesday rear was flat. Not sure source of flat on Wednesday but today's were pin holes on inside of tube.

Both tyres are new and good, roads rough but clean. What is new with the setup is that both wheels were completely rebuilt by superstar (free of charge mind you) with new spokes.

I'd never considered rim tape or wheel spokes as a likely source of punctures.

How often should one replace rim tape ? I'd never done it before.

And is there known to be a big difference between wheelsets when it comes to likelihood of punctures ?

Id always assumed puncture probability was down to tyres, tubes and roads and nothing else

Interesting thread. Got 2 punctures today, 1 rear and 1 front. And at start of a spin last Wednesday rear was flat. Not sure source of flat on Wednesday but today's were pin holes on inside of tube.

Both tyres are new and good, roads rough but clean. What is new with the setup is that both wheels were completely rebuilt by superstar (free of charge mind you) with new spokes.

I'd never considered rim tape or wheel spokes as a likely source of punctures.

And is there known to be a big difference between wheelsets when it comes to likelihood of punctures ?

Id always assumed puncture probability was down to tyres, tubes and roads and nothing else

I'm only now starting to consider those possibilities too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Kept getting punctres every 3 weeks

Eventually got punctre proof Marathon plus tyres last week

Hopefully they work

I'd only check the tape when replacing the tube or putting on new tyres (every year or so for the latter). There are videos on YouTube for putting on fresh rim-tape, but it could last indefinitely without needing to be changed. I think I was just unlucky and had a wheel with a faulty rim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

I'd only check the tape when replacing the tube or putting on new tyres (every year or so for the latter). There are videos on YouTube for putting on fresh rim-tape, but it could last indefinitely without needing to be changed. I think I was just unlucky and had a wheel with a faulty rim.

Did you identify how the rim was faulty. Were there sharp edges inside or was there rugosities in the spoke bed ?

The more I think about it, the more tubeless has going for it. This whole source of punctures is removed

No, I didn't. Sorry. :(

Advertisement