Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling .ie domain name

Options
  • 04-07-2017 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Does anyone have any experience selling a .ie domain name?

I'm looking for advice on where would be the best place to list the domain for sale.

Thank you

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

That's a tough one, there's really no established marketplace for .ie domains right now. I guess that's because the rules have only recently been relaxed to allowing them to be traded (visibly).

You could try one of the larger domain marketplaces Sedo/Flippa etc but you're either going to attract relatively low offers from speculators or you're going to be waiting.

If I were looking for a .ie domain, I'd probably just contact the domain owner directly. Have you had any offers/approaches?

The other issue you're facing is competition from currently unregistered domains. There's still plenty of good names available for registration fee.

Is your domain particularly good?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

A domain is only as valuable as the content and traffic. If its just a word, there are means and ways around it. A focused SEO campaign will easily obliterate most domains and Google puts a fair share of leverage on quality of content and age now. An example we have is for outdoor activities, we own the top level for one, say for example Walk.ie but most people search 'Walking', so the verb is more valuable to us and gets more traffic.

We had a guy ask for €10kEUR for a .ie domain once. Never been used, zero traffic. Its on page 20 now I think, ours is number one.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jacksn

https://www.iedr.ie/how-to-sell-a-domain/

Process seems fairly straight forward that you are an Irish citizen etc, surprised the IEDR dont take a cut or charge a heavy transfer fee.

jacksn wrote: »
    https://www.iedr.ie/how-to-sell-a-domain/

Process seems fairly straight forward that you are an Irish citizen etc, surprised the IEDR dont take a cut or charge a heavy transfer fee.

The logistics of transferring the domain is the easy part. Finding a buyer is the bigger problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jacksn

It says "Let people know that your domain is up or sale through Facebook, eBay or Sedo.."

Does this mean you can advertise it for sale on Adverts.ie for example? in the Business for Sale section?

• Advertisement

jacksn wrote: »
    It says "Let people know that your domain is up or sale through Facebook, eBay or Sedo.."

Does this mean you can advertise it for sale on Adverts.ie for example? in the Business for Sale section?

If I remember correctly adverts had a rule prohibiting domain names sales, not sure if that's still the case.

From the perspective of the IEDR I think they're essentially saying go out and advertise your domain as you see fit, nothing to do with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭JohnRock

Thanks guys for the replies

Advertisement