Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quantity of .22LR Ammo

Options
  • 04-07-2017 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

As per title, what is the average quantity of .22LR ammo on everyone's licenses? What is a reasonable amount to request on the license form?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

CHAPTER 7: MISCELLANEOUS
    AMMUNITION – AMOUNTS SPECIFIED IN FIREARM CERTIFICATES

Section 3 of the Principal Act as amended, provides for the holder of a firearm certificate to purchase ammunition for use in the firearm and at any one time to possess or carry not more than the amount of ammunition specified in the certificate. It is entirely a matter for the issuing person to decide the amount of ammunition that is to be specified in the firearm certificate and each application will be judged on its own merits. The amount of ammunition granted will be captured on the firearm certificate. Issuing persons should be mindful of the fact that ammunition is sold in batches for example 20’s, 50’s etc depending on its type and the category of shooting being conducted and this may be a consideration when assessing the application.

The practice of manually amending the amount of ammunition attached to a certificate is no longer possible, so it is vitally important that an issuing person gives proper consideration to the issue of ammunition when considering the original application for the firearm certificate. The applicant shall include the maximum amount of ammunition being applied for in the relevant section of the application form FCA1 and further information may be required from the applicant by the issuing person when considering the application.

The type or category of shooting being conducted by the applicant will be a key consideration when an issuing person is determining the amounts of ammunition to be specified in the firearm certificate. The following ratio of ammunition to purpose could be considered average:

• Farmer (one shotgun for vermin/pest control) – 100 rounds.

• Deer Gun – 200 to 260 rounds.

• Shotgun for clay pigeon, pheasant/pigeon/woodcock – 500 to 750 rounds.

• Target Shooter (member of authorised club) – 750 to 1,000 rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

alan0387 wrote:
    As per title, what is the average quantity of .22LR ammo on everyone's licenses? What is a reasonable amount to request on the license form?

I've 500 on the rifle hunting and target and 1000 on the pistol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I had 100 12 gauge and asked for an increase and I was granted 750. Change of super in the area between applications. .

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭alan0387

Thanks folks, don't want to limit myself by putting too small a number!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

I've noticed that when applying for a new licence, the number of rounds seems to default to 100.
    Then I call the guards and ask for an increase, and a week later it is fixed.

Given that the local guards have no problem with the numbers I'm asking for, it looks like they are either doing something wrong when forwarding the paperwork or they are being processed wrong in Dublin.

Seems odd that they'd intentionally bring it back down to 100 and the adjust it shortly aftwards.

• Advertisement

ezra_ wrote: »
    I've noticed that when applying for a new licence, the number of rounds seems to default to 100.
    Then I call the guards and ask for an increase, and a week later it is fixed.

Annoying as it seems most ammo is in 50 or 100 round boxes. So for example if I was at a range and I had 25 rounds left I would have to shoot those before buying another 100 box in the range shop otherwise I'm breaking the law, assuming they only had 100 round boxes available at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

applied for 1000 on my cz452 for target shooting at harbour house, got 100

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Ammo limits don't apply at the range. That scenario would only be a problem if you had 25 left and bought 100 and took the 125 home with you.
    I have 500 on my .22lr rifle and 500 on my .22lr pistol. I combine the 2 when buying ammo as it gives a bit of leeway for a discount when buying a 1000

Luckysasha wrote: »
    I have 500 on my .22lr rifle and 500 on my .22lr pistol. I combine the 2 when buying ammo as it gives a bit of leeway for a discount when buying a 1000

There has been some discussion of that, I'm not sure if it is cumulative.

is there an issue with combining licences to bulk buy ?

• Advertisement

is there an issue with combining licences to bulk buy ?

Bulk buy? No
    Bulk buy and take away from the dealer? I think yes.

I've bought many multiples of ammo than my licenses permit, but I've only ever taken possession of what I'm entitled to have (and that isn't by combining licenses).

You might have a stronger argument if you had 500 rounds that were pistol focused, and 500 rifle rounds. But buying 1k round when you have no cert that allows you to have 1k rounds in your possession, is something that I wouldn't be doing.

So I buy 1000 CCI standards. Which are compatible with both my rifle and pistol. I have used standards in my rifle when at the range but when hunting I use subsonics. So I have 500 standards in my pistol safe and 500 in my rifle safe. If I was to randomly get a visit from my FO or CPO as far as I'm aware I'm within the law and I have the amount of ammo I'm authorised to have. I'm sure it would be a different story if along with the 500 standards in my rifle safe I had 200 subsonics but I don't.

So I buy 1000 CCI standards. Which are compatible with both my rifle and pistol. I have used standards in my rifle when at the range but when hunting I use subsonics. So I have 500 standards in my pistol safe and 500 in my rifle safe. If I was to randomly get a visit from my FO or CPO as far as I'm aware I'm within the law and I have the amount of ammo I'm authorised to have. I'm sure it would be a different story if along with the 500 standards in my rifle safe I had 200 subsonics but I don't.

I think in all honesty it comes down to the local FO. If they are out to get you, they'll get you on the fact that you have two certs that both say you are allowed have 500 rounds (.22lr in this case) in your possession. One simply reinforces the other.

However, I'm not a lawyer and I don't think that this has been tested in court (and even if it has, it hasn't gone to a Court that allows for precedent to be set.

I would assume (as a pure noob) that since each license is firearm serial specific and each firearm license had a set quantity of Ammo allowed that it would technically be culminative? If the local fo or super wanted you to only have 500 rounds total in your possession he would limit you to 250 per firearm/license so? Again I'm a total noob so that is just what i would expect reading the laws?

alan0387 wrote: »
    I would assume (as a pure noob) that since each license is firearm serial specific and each firearm license had a set quantity of Ammo allowed that it would technically be culminative? If the local fo or super wanted you to only have 500 rounds total in your possession he would limit you to 250 per firearm/license so? Again I'm a total noob so that is just what i would expect reading the laws?

The licence is against a specific firearm; the cert allows you to hold in your possession a number of specific types of rounds.

The rounds aren't 'linked' to the gun.

ezra_ wrote: »
    The licence is against a specific firearm; the cert allows you to hold in your possession a number of specific types of rounds.

Exactly. It just so happens that the two licenses I have are for the same type of round.

Oh I see! So my understanding is based on a misinterpretation of the law!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Must admit I am confused with this !

On the back of my licence it states " You are hereby authorised to purchase cartridges or rounds of ammunition therefor (i.e for the particular gun mentioned on the licence),provided that you shall not have in your possession or carry at any one time more than 200 cartridges or rounds of ammunition thereof".

This is for a shotgun licence, but the theory is the same for a rifle.

I have a number of shotguns, one has a 200 round limit and another has a 500 round limit.

Are we saying here that if I go shooting with the gun with the 200 round limit, but I have 500 rounds in my possession, if stopped by the Gardaí, I could be open to prosecution ?

Vizzy wrote: »
    Must admit I am confused with this !

On the back of my licence it states " You are herby authorised to purchase cartridges or rounds of ammunition therefor (i.e for the particular gun mentioned on the licence),provided that you shall not have in your possession or carry at any one time more than 200 cartridges or rounds of ammunition thereof".

This is for a shotgun licence, but the theory is the same for a rifle.

I have a number of shotguns, one has a 200 round limit and another has a 500 round limit.

Are we saying here that if I go shooting with the gun with the 200 round licence but I have 500 rounds in my possession if stopped by the Gardaí, I could be open to prosecution ?

My thoughts are that you can carry up to 500 12g rounds (assuming you have a 12g).

Other people think this lets you hold 700 rounds.

Sparks / Cass might be along shortly with a bit more info

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

If I was on my way home from hunting with my .22 rifle that I have 500 rounds on my licence with 100 rounds left and I bought 1000 from my RFD on the way home. I can carry 1000 on my .22 pistol licence with both licence's in my pocket and I was stopped what law if any would I be breaking ? Bearing in mind the pistol is at home and I'm driving with 1100 rounds

• Advertisement

alan0387 wrote: »
    Oh I see! So my understanding is based on a misinterpretation of the law!

Well if what your saying is law then there are an awful lot of gun owners breaking the law on a regular basis not to mention all the RFDs who are selling ammo to lads on multiple licenses. Maybe I'm interpreting this wrong it could be another one of those scenarios that lads are unaware of. But if your restricted to a certain number of rounds for a particular calibre then surely to save any confusion subsequent licenses for the same calibre should come with no mention of ammo limit as your first license should be your ammo limit.

But if your restricted to a certain number of rounds for a particular calibre then surely to save any confusion subsequent licenses for the same calibre should come with no mention of ammo limit as your first license should be your ammo limit.

That's what I thought, but, if I had a cz452 and a ruger 10/22, both use 22lr, each states eg 300 rds, can I be in possession of 600 for example? Not really it seems as ezra_ said the rounds on the cert are not linked to the gun but you the person. So if you have the cz with 300 and want to buy a 10/22 you need to make sure you look for an increase in round allowance?

So if My rifle has 500 rounds and My pistol has 1000 rounds are we saying then that legally I can only have 1000 rounds and not 1500 ?. So I could have 1000 rounds of federal birdshot for my rifle which are no use what so ever in my pistol but I can't buy a single pistol round until some of my birdshot are gone. This is getting confusing!!!! Should we all be handing back in our licenses and asking for a round increase to cover multiple firearms of the same calibre.

So if My rifle has 500 rounds and My pistol has 1000 rounds are we saying then that legally I can only have 1000 rounds and not 1500 ?. So I could have 1000 rounds of federal birdshot for my rifle which are no use what so ever in my pistol but I can't buy a single pistol round until some of my birdshot are gone. This is getting confusing!!!! Should we all be handing back in our licenses and asking for a round increase to cover multiple firearms of the same calibre.

Ask for the total amount of ammo that you think you need.
    Or store your pistol ammo in the range and have the 500 rounds of birdshot at home.

I would be of the opinion that you would be leaving yourself open to prosecution if the reverse was true. If my rifle has a limit of 1000 and my pistol has 500 rounds then if I'm stopped with 1000 rounds in my pistol bag and my excuse is "well my rifle license says I can have 1000 so don't mind that 500 round limit on the back of my pistol license". How would that go down ?

I would be of the opinion that you would be leaving yourself open to prosecution if the reverse was true. If my rifle has a limit of 1000 and my pistol has 500 rounds then if I'm stopped with 1000 rounds in my pistol bag and my excuse is "well my rifle license says I can have 1000 so don't mind that 500 round limit on the back of my pistol license". How would that go down ?

I'm not quite following you;

I don't ever have more rounds that one single licence lets me hold.
    This way, you don't get into the above conversation with the guard.

If I have pistol bag with me with 1000 rounds of ammo in it, but my pistol license states 500 rounds. Ok my rifle license says 1000 but I don't have either my rifle or my rifle license with me. Can I use the logic that because my rifle license says 1000 I can ignore the 500 limit on my pistol license.

If I have pistol bag with me with 1000 rounds of ammo in it, but my pistol license states 500 rounds. Ok my rifle license says 1000 but I don't have either my rifle or my rifle license with me. Can I use the logic that because my rifle license says 1000 I can ignore the 500 limit on my pistol license.

That is a scenario that I would try to prevent from happening.

My rule is: don't carry more rounds then are printed on a licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Captainaxiom

Lads this is some place for creating problems where none exist. If your in any doubt why not just ring the firearms policy unit and get an answer from the source, Instead of this fiction story your all co-writing here.

e.g what if it's a Tuesday and I'm a Taurus with 10 rounds in my left pocket & 2,400 in a tesco plastic bag swinging over my right shoulder with the moon passing by Jupiter can I combine my licences or am I breaking the law.

• Advertisement

Lads this is some place for creating problems where none exist. If your in any doubt why not just ring the firearms policy unit and get an answer from the source, Instead of this fiction story your all co-writing here.

e.g what if it's a Tuesday and I'm a Taurus with 10 rounds in my left pocket & 2,400 in a tesco plastic bag swinging over my right shoulder with the moon passing by Jupiter can I combine my licences or am I breaking the law.

Well are you breaking the law?

Advertisement