Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identify source of noise pollution

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

Any distinct odours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Try turning off every electronic device in the building. Then turn them back one by one. It may help. Even central heating pumps.

Good idea. Maybe quicker to do this at the main fusebox. shut every thing off and see if noise has stopped. This will confirm if its neighbour noise or home made noise. if its home made, bring them back one fuse at a time. until you ID the noisy circuit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭DaniilKharms

o1s1n wrote: »
    That's what I'd start with alright. Switch off the mains electricity in your own house and see if you still hear it. Best to eliminate your own noise production before assuming it's coming from somewhere else.

And sure if that doesn't work there's always this

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

Years ago, I spent a fortune on doctors trying to get my "tinnitus" cured - every night I was unable to sleep because of this barely audible but annoying whine

Turned out that the sound I was hearing was coming from my laptop power supply!

More recently a noise that I was hearing in my apartment was tracked down as a loose ELCB for the storage heating in my fusebox. Like you it got louder at night once the night saver meter kicked in

So as others have suggested, turn off the electricity and see if the sound goes away... you can then eliminate devices one by one

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

west star wrote: »
    Drone and humm l would say
    Maybe a washer-dryer combo, with the significant whine at the end in the final dry cycle?

Would be useful to do a wash of clothes, and great for pissing off the neighbors if you didn't like them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

You say the noise is travelling through the party wall? Put your ear up against the wall and see if you can hear it coming through the structure itself. If you can it is most likely structural borne noise which is caused by a piece of machinery not being properly isolated from the structure, they dont necessarily have to be particularly noisy, but the vibration of them can cause noise issues in other areas of a building.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭dubrov

It probably is the dishwasher that your neighbours have started. Some dishwashers can take 4 hours plus when set to use eco mode

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

Grow house next door?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 west star

Noo wrote: »
    You say the noise is travelling through the party wall? Put your ear up against the wall and see if you can hear it coming through the structure itself. If you can it is most likely structural borne noise which is caused by a piece of machinery not being properly isolated from the structure, they dont necessarily have to be particularly noisy, but the vibration of them can cause noise issues in other areas of a building.

I see. So how is that solved. What exactly does ' not being properly isolated from the structure' mean

I see. So how is that solved. What exactly does ' not being properly isolated from the structure' mean

I was woken at 2.30 am and again now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Crazyivan 1979

Its incredibly difficult to pin point noise sources if you dont have cooperation from other parties, who you suspect are at fault for causing it.

Mobile app phone apps are not very accurate either and will only give you real time measurements, they wont frequency weight values and wont give you 1/3 octave bands which would be more useful at trying to determine sources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Fish tank pump was mentioned earlier in the thread. We have one a couple of years and you don't notice it during the day at all.

Come night time there's been times I've been sitting downstairs and wondering what the hell that noise is, you just seem to focus in on it. The tank was upstairs in my daughters room above the living room.

When there's no other ambient noise you could be noticing a neighbours fridge, pump etc that's close to, or against, the party wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Sounds like your relationship with the neighbours is in tatters anyway.

If it is an appliance in their house (dishwasher, washing machine , water pump), they are under no obligation to change it for you anyway.

Can you move house?
    Are you renting, or did you buy?

Can you find a detatched house in your price range?

pwurple wrote: »

If it is an appliance in their house (dishwasher, washing machine , water pump), they are under no obligation to change it for you anyway.

Can you move house?

The relationship with every neighbour disintegrates, not because they are bad people but because far too much sharp noise is travelling between the party wall.

I bought house, if l was renting ld be gone long ago, a detached house would be more expensive.

My understanding of the law is that no undue noise, in this case, noise coming from any appliance or system next door or vice versa is allowed between 11 pm and 7 am.

pwurple wrote: »

Can you move house?

The relationship with every neighbour disintegrates, not because they are bad people but because far too much sharp noise is travelling between the party wall.

I bought house, if l was renting ld be gone long ago, a detached house would be more expensive.

My understanding of the law is that no undue noise, in this case, noise coming from any appliance or system next door or vice versa is allowed between 11 pm and 7 am.

I am just after calling the out- of-hours phone number of the council. I told them that l had everything turned off in my house and the noise is unbearable. Ear plugs don't mask it, and if they dont work nothing will. I told them l do not know where the noise is coming from. I asked them to send someone out to my house.

Does anyone know who can come to my house after 11pm , when traffic has quietened, to try to identify this noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭kaymin

If I was you I'd get a friend to call in and see what s/he thinks. You may be so caught up in this issue that you may not be entirely reasonable about how bad or not the noise is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Are you near the coast? Ships / Trawlers humming 24/7 where I live, especially when there is no wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Also garden water fountains can cause a hum similar to those of fridges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement