Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2017: Stage 5 Vittel - La Planche de Belles Filles, 160.5km

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

I'm puzzled by that huge effort from BMC. Assume the plan was to help Porte, and it all just went south?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Comms very rarely acknowledge a lot of doms even when pulling at the front ...only the GC guys get mentioned and a few favourites

And what makes it hard is a lot of these riders had dreams when they won their first race or their junior national title , etc of one day wining races as a pro...and they had to give that up....can't be easy

Many comms are lazy ...they dont even know what the doms are doing all day that we don't see ..and cycling is a hard sport ...not much money or glory for many ....even **** hotels

And the idea cycling its a team sport is a bit of a stretch ...the team gets the stick but the winner gets the glory and the pay packet in most cases
    I don't know about them not getting credit - I would say it's much more commented on now with a newer generation of commentators, and I also think team leaders are more inclined to give praise too these days (whether both of that is a just a result of more coverage, so less filter, or more english language interviews I don't know).

Also, for some riders it's not about giving up the dream, it's about finding their niche. Some don't like the pressure of being a team leader, so it's not necessarily giving up the dream. Well it is, but their choice not imposed.

Prize money is generally pooled, which is an acceptance that leaders can't win without a team. Leaders get the pay packet and the glory, team split the prize money. Good domestiques, even non mountain ones, are sort after and can have a decent career, even if the UCI points system can work against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

beans wrote: »
    I'm puzzled by that huge effort from BMC. Assume the plan was to help Porte, and it all just went south?

Psychology as well. I think some of the reasoning was to show Team Sky that they are not the only 'top dogs' in town who can control the peloton. BMC wanted to show off how strong they are and that they mean business. Whether they actually pulled it off is another question.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

beans wrote: »
    Jonathan Vaughters (Cdale) commented on it on Twitter. Said sometimes a team will do this even when not abs necessary as a statement of confidence in its leader. A way of saying to Porte, have no doubt team believes in you and can provide all the support you need.

Advertisement