Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N24 - Cahir to Limerick Junction [design and planning underway]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭steeler j

thanks ,how long to select a route ,it is a pity the government didn't have started the early phase in 2014 or 2015 a lot of these projects would be ready to start soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Bards

Another fatal collision on this road earlier today...RIP to the young woman

yes ,lovely girl and a great family rip....when is shane ross going to do something about the the terrible roads in Ireland,shane ross is talk

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

steeler j wrote: »
    yes ,lovely girl and a great family rip....when is shane ross going to do something about the the terrible roads in Ireland,shane ross is talk

Should be open around 2029-2032 based on current projections

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭davidk1394

marno21 wrote: »

Big delay at the Piltown turn-off. Kilkenny county council want to put in an overly fancy turnoff and the farmer isn’t letting him in without a deal being struck. Once that junction is complete they will start on the road.

• Advertisement

I was thinking that would be the timeline because of the back log ,I won't believe anything is getting done until diggers are breaking ground ,so many cities and big towns that are connected by sub standard roads like Cork to limerick ,Cork to Waterford and limerick to Waterford .There is a lot of big towns on the roads as well

• Registered Users Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭road_high

What a depressing timeline....

From the Cahir exit on the M8 to Tipperary town is a pretty poor road, Bansha needs resurfacing in some places as well.

Been 18 months since i was passing through but can't imagine it has changed very much.

started work in Bansha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Due to the dearth of "pipeline" national road schemes, TII & DTTAS are planning on developing a series of schemes to be advanced when the current funded schemes are completed in the next 5-7 years.

Bar the three Donegal schemes, we got first mention of one scheme today when AK47 asked Shane Ross about any prospective N24 upgrade plans.

Ross mentions that DTTAS are planning on advancing a 27km upgrade of the N24 from Limerick Junction to Cahir, which includes a bypass of Tipp Town, Bansha and the deplorable bends near Cahir. If advanced, this will be the first section of N24 to be upgraded, given the fact that all other schemes are suspended.

Welcome news.

https://www.kildarestreet.com/debates/?id=2017-07-04a.411

Drove Limerick to Rosslare and back evey 10 days in 1971 and 72 , long left the area but it seems as if not much has changed in some parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭road_high

piuswal wrote: »
    Drove Limerick to Rosslare and back evey 10 days in 1971 and 72 , long left the area but it seems as if not much has changed in some parts.

Parts in co Tipperary are the very worst and haven’t changed much I’d think, especially from Cahir to Oola. Rest has seen some realignments and upgrades in that time

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

In addition to starting planning on the 27km Limerick Junction-Cahir dual carraigeway, TII seem to be pushing ahead with realignment schemes at Brookes Bridge north of Oola and at the Ballydrehid Bends where there was a fatal accident this past week. Both these stretches are totally unacceptable for a national primary road. These will likely be progressed in parallel with the DC scheme and open before it, as TII are aware that these stretches need removing and it would be foolish to rely on definite progression of the DC because it's politically vulnerable.

In addition to starting planning on the 27km Limerick Junction-Cahir dual carraigeway, TII seem to be pushing ahead with realignment schemes at Brookes Bridge north of Oola and at the Ballydrehid Bends where there was a fatal accident this past week. Both these stretches are totally unacceptable for a national primary road. These will likely be progressed in parallel with the DC scheme and open before it, as TII are aware that these stretches need removing and it would be foolish to rely on definite progression of the DC because it's politically vulnerable.

any news on what their hoping to do at Ballydrehid bends ,the railway bridge is very narrow with a tight bend on the Cahir side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Tipperary town roads getting done the last few days. Massive delays

Tipperary town roads getting done the last few days. Massive delays

yes until September this year and then starting on the main street

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

yes until September this year and then starting on the main street

Is this prep work for the dual carriageway?

Not at all. We'll be 10 years older at least when the dual carraigeway comes. The route isn't even chosen yet.

Design & planning work are to begin on this in 2019.

Not at all. We'll be 10 years older at least when the dual carraigeway comes. The route isn't even chosen yet.

in your experience when u think a route would be selected

just road works

I would be thinking 2021 as a realistic hope for it.

Oh okay fair enough.

In an ideal situation how long will it take to get from Waterford to Limerick when both the Waterford to Cahir and Cahir to Limerick Junction dual carriageways are done?

It's pretty much 2 hours on the nose at the moment

• Advertisement

Oh okay fair enough.

In an ideal situation how long will it take to get from Waterford to Limerick when both the Waterford to Cahir and Cahir to Limerick Junction dual carriageways are done?

It's pretty much 2 hours on the nose at the moment
    The Limerick Junction-Waterford DC will be approx 85km, so assuming you can average 90km/h on it (this is being conservative - but it also could have roundabouts which may be busy at peak times) - you would do that in just under 1 hour

From there to Limerick is 30km - which if you can average 75km/h would be 24 mins

It would mean Limerick-Waterford in approx 1hr 20mins - by Limerick-Waterford I mean the M7 at Ballysimon and the N25 at Grannagh - beyond this you are introducing many variables with traffic.

The DC will provide additional journey dependability as you won't have any towns to go through south of LJ also.

The Limerick Junction-Waterford DC will be approx 85km, so assuming you can average 90km/h on it (this is being conservative - but it also could have roundabouts which may be busy at peak times) - you would do that in just under 1 hour

From there to Limerick is 30km - which if you can average 75km/h would be 24 mins

It would mean Limerick-Waterford in approx 1hr 20mins - by Limerick-Waterford I mean the M7 at Ballysimon and the N25 at Grannagh - beyond this you are introducing many variables with traffic.

The DC will provide additional journey dependability as you won't have any towns to go through south of LJ also.

Jesus that would be some improvement, I make that return trip every week for college and it would sicken you getting stuck behind a tractor or roadworks on a major national road.

I'll be long finished by the time this is done by the looks of it unfortunately :o

Jesus that would be some improvement, I make that return trip every week for college and it would sicken you getting stuck behind a tractor or roadworks on a major national road.

I'll be long finished by the time this is done by the looks of it unfortunately :o
    Limerick-Bearys Cross will likely be pushed by the Limerick Metropolitan Transport Strategy also, which would bring it down to around 22/23km of legacy road.

The biggest benefit would be the HQ road between Waterford and Limerick Junction, no more Clonmel roundabouts, no more Carrick-on-Suir/Mooncoin/Kilsheelan, no more bends between Bansha-Cahir, no more tight railway bridge near Cahir etc etc. Just 85km of decent road.

The sooner it's built the better. (I know what you mean about using it weekly and not using it when built - it's the same with me and the M20).

they had routes picked in 2005 ,I remember being at the meeting but lost all the leaflets ,I remember the 2 routes north and east of Tipperary town were the favoured options

they had routes picked in 2005 ,I remember being at the meeting but lost all the leaflets ,I remember the 2 routes north and east of Tipperary town were the favoured options

They have to start from scratch again unfortunately - all the previously completed work has to be redone

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Limerick74

At least two years after engineering consultants appointed.

Limerick74 wrote: »
    At least two years after engineering consultants appointed.

I doubt I will drive on it in the next 15 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Paddico

Thats just two years away.
    Its not even part of the current transport 21 list pf projects.

I'd think it will be more like 2025 before we're close

Paddico wrote: »
    Thats just two years away.
    Its not even part of the current transport 21 list pf projects.

I'd think it will be more like 2025 before we're close
    Transport21 is no longer Government policy, the National Development Plan 2018-2027 is. The NDP (and the associated investment framework) specifies the N24 Cahir-Limerick Junction scheme, and the 2018-2022 funding provides for the scheme to be advanced through planning & design over that period.

• Advertisement

Transport21 is no longer Government policy, the National Development Plan 2018-2027 is. The NDP (and the associated investment framework) specifies the N24 Cahir-Limerick Junction scheme, and the 2018-2022 funding provides for the scheme to be advanced through planning & design over that period.

wonder will it start at the Limerick side of monard ,there's the railway , racecorse and golf course around Limerick Junction

Advertisement