Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CNN tracks down random reddit meme poster and threatens to release his information

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Aghhhh Dox overload!!

What does doxxing mean???

Release personal info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

seamus wrote: »
    Funny how racists always start crying when people might find out they're racists. It's almost like it's not OK.

Anyway, this is very far from doxxing. He's not being extorted or blackmailed or threatened. If anything they're protecting him by giving him the opportunity to go quietly into the night. Breitbart or the Daily Mail would just publish.

They also didn't say that they would release his information if he did anything else. The provided a rider for legal purposes which maintains their right to publish this information in the future.

Yeah he's a racist cos he made a Trump meme ....

And yet you're OK with a world leader posting internet memes? Targeting major news publications? You can honestly say if our Taoiseach did the same to... RTÉ news you wouldn't cry foul?

What you perceive as acceptable and not seems very skewed...

Another dodge!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 958 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

Lmao. It's clearly a threat and a threat to all those creating anti CNN material.

He is a private citizen who photo-shopped a CNN logo on Vince McMahon and because of that his life could be ruined, and seemingly you have no problem with that.

His life would be ruined from all the **** he has posted online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Nice dodge.

I'm not the one dodging Hank. I think people should be held accountable for the actions, I think I made that clear. Do you? And if not, why not?

Another dodge!

I mean, you're dodging my query by calling dodge.

That's how this works, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Penn wrote: »
    They're not threatening him or blackmailing him. He apologised himself, and promised he would stop. So CNN decided to give him the benefit of the doubt based on his apology and not release his info. They're simply just saying that if he turns back on his promise to stop and his apology, the benefit of the doubt is gone and they will release his info.

If a garda lets you off with a warning for something and a month later catches you doing the same thing again and charges you, he hadn't threatened or blackmailed you by giving you the warning the previous time.

That makes sense if you think CNN are the police and posting memes is a crime.

The police do stuff that would be crime if I did it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I enjoy posting memes. Am i now supporting criminal behaviour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

all you have to do is go back and find who posted it first, if he is a good guy you are good to go :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Read the actual news articles. He posted racist and anti-Semitic posts, subsequently claiming to only have done so to get a response from people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Lmao. It's clearly a threat and a threat to all those creating anti CNN material.

He is a private citizen who photo-shopped a CNN logo on Vince McMahon and because of that his life could be ruined, and seemingly you have no problem with that.

If that was all he did, I'd agree. But it wasn't. His account, by his own admission, posted numerous "racist, bigoted and anti-semitic" posts. It was simply the CNN meme which brought everything he did to the forefront. So yeah, someone who posts (again, by their own admission) racist, bigoted and anti-semitic material... I have no problem with their life being ruined because of that.

But his life hasn't been ruined. He apologised, and because of that, CNN accepted his apology and aren't going to release his private info.

I'm not the one dodging Hank. I think people should be held accountable for the actions, I think I made that clear. Do you? And if not, why not?

So you'd have no problem with Trump going after some lad in the funny pics forum who photoshopped an orange on his head, is that what you're saying? Or going after all the posters in the Politics forum who call Trump names? Or Comedians who bad mouth him? Because remember, YOU HAVE TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOU ACTIONS.

Anyone defending CNN here for going after a private citizen for PHOTOSHOPPING A PICTURE is either being disingenuous or is simply blinded by hyper partisanship.

Also it should be pointed out that a world leader posted a meme from someone that is racist, bigoted, and anti-Semitic, without doing any checking. I mean, sh*t. This is our reality now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

There must be an army of therapists over at CNN towers for their staff. Trump has destroyed them.

A reality outside of their little echoe chamber has hit them slap bang in the face and they are losing their ****.

So you'd have no problem with Trump going after some lad in the funny pics forum who photoshopped an orange on his head, is that what you're saying? Or going after all the posters in the Politics forum who call Trump names? Or Comedians who bad mouth him? Because remember, YOU HAVE TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOU ACTIONS.

Anyone defending CNN here for going after a private citizen for PHOTOSHOPPING A PICTURE is either being disingenuous or is simply blinded by hyper partisanship.

So you believe that people shouldn't have accountability for their actions?

You're the one dodging, Hank. Don't reply with a meandering reply that amounts to nothing. Just a yes or no. Anything else is just dodging the question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭Nermal

Pro-tip:

If you're afraid that what you say or do online might affect your life, your relationships, your job, then perhaps you shouldn't say or do those things.

You're likely not as anonymous as you think you are. If you don't have the balls to do it with your identity known, don't do it behind your keyboard.

Attention dissidents and political malcontents of the world! Boards.ie user 'boneyarsebogman' has spoken. Please inform the authorities of your identity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I've said a few things about Trump in my time and he's welcome to follow me up on them if he wants, it would say more about him than it does about me but sure what about it?

That's the thing about standing over what you say or do Hank. Why do you and your fellow travellers have a problem with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Wacist, or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Yeah, he's just being called a racist because of the video and its got nothing to do with his history of posting racist shít on Reddit… :rolleyes:

https://qz.com/1020045/us-president-donald-trump-sourced-his-cnn-wrestling-tweet-from-a-racist-troll-on-reddit/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I have to say I'm struggling to grasp this story a little bit. How could his life be ruined?

All I can see here is a heavy handed and seriously ill conceived attempt to stop people making fun of an organisation lacking any real sense of humour. Someones ego got stepped on and they threw their toys out of the pram. Any clown should have been able to foresee this backfiring.
    In short - billionaire toss pots in tit for tat bitchfest shocker.

Short sighted? Yes.
    Stupid? Yes.
    Shocking? Not really.
    Life ruining? I don't possibly see how.
    Am I missing something or what?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Someones ego got stepped on and they threw their toys out of the pram.

Reddit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭circadian

I think it's a case of standing by what you post online. I've made some disparaging remarks about Trump and if I was outed for that then fine I'd still stand by it. A comedian bad mouthing him? Their identity is already known.

If I was posting inflammatory, racist and bigoted things online to get a response I wouldn't really stand by this because it doesn't reflect my own viewpoint. I get the feeling that the person in question either believes what they posted and knows that it's both socially unacceptable and possibly illegal (not the CNN meme, their other posts) or honestly did do it for the lolz and $h1tstirring. Either way, they have demonstrated that they aren't willing to stand by it.

I don't agree with how CNN has handled this but at the same time, I don't agree with people posting inflammatory stuff online to draw a response just because they assume there is anonymity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

naughtb4 wrote: »
    What in the tweet was racist?

One his other meme's was identifying Jewish employees of CNN:

Reddit User Behind Trump's anti-CNN Video Has History of anti-Semitism, Islamophobia

Pretty amusing to see people talking about CNN doxing this guy and claims about them making threats, when they did nothing of the sort.

Meanwhile, this alt-right anti-semite Reddit poster was singling out Jewish employees of CNN. You got love the right wing hypocrisy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I have to say he sounds like a charming individual going by his posts on reddit. a capital fellow indeed. Could one describe him as being typical of trump supporters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Reddit?

I was thinking Jeff Zucker or one of his minions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

Christy42 wrote: »
    Cnn are not the police. This individual is a horrific person imo. I still don't think CNN should release his info unless he commits a crime. They have not so far at least.

Racism and antisemitism is a crime.

He contacted them and all they've said is if he posts more crap they'll release his identity and he doesn't want that based on all the ****e he has posted before.

Someone said it earlier,if you're afraid what you say online will be made public with you then don't say it.

CNN didn't do anything wrong,he contacted them,not the other way around and now they've given him a chance to turn his online postings and life around. Seems fair enough to me

And I support assange but a bit a rich seeing as he uses all the info he has to try and Influnce governments

So you believe that people shouldn't have accountability for their actions?

You're the one dodging, Hank. Don't reply with a meandering reply that amounts to nothing. Just a yes or no. Anything else is just dodging the question.

Argument is invalid. Press literally get away with murder, e.g. the hands up don't shoot lie broadcast to millions on CNN without repercussions. Press push proxy wars, WAPO editoral board pushed WOMD lie, no repercussions. Private Citizen photoshops picture, does not equate.

In a fair world where everyone is held to the same scrutiny I might agree with you, but the world isn't fair.

Nermal wrote: »
    Attention dissidents and political malcontents of the world! Boards.ie user 'boneyarsebogman' has spoken. Please inform the authorities of your identity.

Thing is that this individual isn't a dissident or a political malcontent. He's someone that posts racist, bigoted, and anti-Semitic remarks just to get a reaction; he doesn't believe in what he even says. He couldn't stand by what he said and did online once the possibility of his identity becoming revealed was known.

He most definitely doesn't belong in the same category of any dissident or political malcontent and I think you know this too.

Argument is invalid. Press literally get away with murder, e.g. the hands up don't shoot lie broadcast to millions on CNN without repercussions. Press push proxy wars, WAPO editoral board pushed WOMD lie, no repercussions. Private Citizen photoshops picture, does not equate.

In a fair world where everyone is held to the same scrutiny I might agree with you, but the world isn't fair.

Another dodge!

That's not true in the US. The Klan could hold a rally and there's nothing anyone can do about it. It's protected under free speech. Where the line is drawn is inciting actual violence in a given vacuum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

And yet you're OK with a world leader posting internet memes? Targeting major news publications? You can honestly say if our Taoiseach did the same to... RTÉ news you wouldn't cry foul?

What you perceive as acceptable and not seems very skewed...

Yes.

Because it's funny. Really, fùcking funny. For gods sake, you've got people in this thread playing the dat racist card, and they've got mad cognitive dissonance over it.

Because if you've been insulted for two years straight, its perfectly natural and acceptable to retaliate.

Because the media for the most part are opportunistic midwit sociopathic scumbags and to see them freak out over a tweet like this is brilliant, but also incredibly interesting.

Look, there are myriad flaws about Donald Trump, but he's got an excellent grasp on people and how they work.

If you speak the truth, then you have power over people. That's when people start to in horror, project their greatest fears and insecurities onto you.

CNN are outraged cause they are fake news.

It's incredible how the same pattern is playing out again and these people are too up their own backsides to get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

That's not true in the US. The Klan could hold a rally and there's nothing anyone can do about it. It's protected under free speech. Where the line is drawn is inciting actual violence in a given vacuum.

so posting stuff like
    Keep up the good work until the last islamic piece of **** is wiped from the planet

and
    500,000 dead muslims is a good start. Kill the rest and i'll be impressed

is ok with you? that is the kind of person you are happy to defend?

Because if you've been insulted for two years straight, its perfectly natural and acceptable to retaliate.

He insulted Obama for 8 years straight with his racist birther nonsense. Trump is a typical far right snow flake. Loves to sling ****, but acts like a child, when he receives the same treatment.

Simply put, by your own logic, Trump has it coming, considering his near decade long racist **** stirring birther campaign against Obama.

Now compare Obama's behavior to years of far right vitriol (a lot of it from Trump), and compare that to Trump. Its pretty clear who is the cry baby and who acted like an adult and got on with the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

wes wrote: »
    One his other meme's was identifying Jewish employees of CNN:

Reddit User Behind Trump's anti-CNN Video Has History of anti-Semitism, Islamophobia

Pretty amusing to see people talking about CNN doxing this guy and claims about them making threats, when they did nothing of the sort.

Meanwhile, this alt-right anti-semite Reddit poster was singling out Jewish employees of CNN. You got love the right wing hypocrisy.

That is worse than the gif

But are CNN going after all racists now or just a select few? If Trump hadn't retweeted would they have still looked into it?

Maybe just take away all online anonymity (i think I would be in favour if that)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

He contacted them and all they've said is if he posts more crap they'll release his identity and he doesn't want that based on all the ****e he has posted before.

Someone said it earlier,if you're afraid what you say online will be made public with you then don't say it.

CNN didn't do anything wrong,he contacted them,not the other way around and now they've given him a chance to turn his online postings and life around. Seems fair enough to me

And I support assange but a bit a rich seeing as he uses all the info he has to try and Influnce governments

Im just asking because I don't know but can you back that up? is someone breaking the law in the US because they post a racist meme on the internet? have people been convicted for this? its not something I have ever heard.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

Yes.

Because it's funny. Really, fùcking funny. For gods sake, you've got people in this thread playing the dat racist card, and they've got mad cognitive dissonance over it.

Because the media for the most part are opportunistic midwit sociopathic scumbags and to see them freak out over a tweet like this is brilliant, but also incredibly interesting.

Look, there are myriad flaws about Donald Trump, but he's got an excellent grasp on people and how they work.

If you speak the truth, then you have power over people. That's when people start to in horror, project their greatest fears and insecurities onto you.

It's incredible how the same pattern is playing out again and these people are too up their own backsides to get it.

If this was just some person on a bus shouting racist stuff at someone and someone videod it and put it online(which happens every now and again),everyone would congratulate that person for showing the world that person was an awful racist. This is no different except they haven't posted his details and are giving him a second chance to not do it anymore.

I think CNN (fake news or not) have done a public service here

Yes.

Obama was attacked for 8 years straight, realistically, and he never once reacted that way.

I'm not denying Trump has the exact wavelengths of his supporters down to perfection, but, for me personally, there is a perceived notion that a world leader should have more class and discourse than a random internet user and that they'd have better things to do than posting memes on social media.

That is worse than the gif

But are CNN going after all racists now or just a select few? If Trump hadn't retweeted would they have still looked into it?

No it wouldn't, but Trump exposed the poster to wider scrutiny, and when it turned out that he was doxing Jewish CNN employees himself, you can only imagine that CNN would report on it. Why wouldn't they do so?

His post could be seen as putting the employees that he singled out in danger. After all, Pizza gate originated on Reddit, and that led to a shooting in a Pizza place in Washington DC.
    Maybe just take away all online anonymity (i think I would be in favour if that)

You don't have anonymity already btw. Unless people take steps to hide themselves, than its not hard to find out who they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

They're some shower

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Also it should be pointed out that a world leader posted a meme from someone that is racist, bigoted, and anti-Semitic, without doing any checking. I mean, sh*t. This is our reality now.
    I think this is where CNN should have focused their attention/response - highlight the other stuff that poster has done and ask why the President is highlighting that account, how is that content reaching him, etc. Keep the attention on the president's actions.

I think the way CNN have responded is really poor. When somebody is making themselves look silly, just let them keep doing it. Trump's retweet of the meme already makes him look silly and thin-skinned, so the job is already done.

It reminds me of when people were complaining that Obama had more people at his inauguration. So what? What does it matter? It really was piteous, sour grapes stuff, but instead of just leaving them alone to make themselves look silly, Trump waded in with 'No, there were more people at mine', making himself look ridiculous. Completely unnecessary response which only drew attention to himself, and it's the same for CNN here.

I don't have any sympathy for somebody with a history of racist or anti-semitic posts, but still think CNN have barked up the wrong tree.

At the least, I'd have assumed they'd have done what I assume other organisations do, which is to privately pass on all the info for some apparently unrelated bogger/poster to reveal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

Random?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Are CNN going to threaten to dox all the other racist and anti-semitic posters on reddit or just the ones who slag off CNN?

gctest50 wrote: »
    They're some shower

Project Veritas, you have to be joking :D.

There fake news, and have doctored there "sting" videos in the past:
    "Disingenuous" Sting on ACORN (2009)
    Project Veritas first entered the public eye in 2009 when its founder/president, James O'Keefe, "gained notice for secretly videotaping his exchanges with workers for the community organizing group ACORN who appeared to advise him how to avoid prosecution for a variety of unsavory activities like child prostitution," according to the New York Times. Aided by conservative blogger Andrew Breitbart, the group spread the impression that O'Keefe had dressed in an outlandish "pimp" costume, a detail "that was quickly embraced by the mainstream media and turned into a central part of the ACORN story," leading to ridicule of ACORN employees for their "apparent cluelessness," according to Media Matters.[17] Mother Jones referred to the ACORN sting and other such videos as "disingenuously edited hit jobs."[18]

Later investigations, including one by the California Attorney General, showed that the videos released by O'Keefe were misleading. From the AG's report:

"Evidence obtained by Brown tells a somewhat different story [than the edited videos originally released], however, as reflected in three videotapes made at ACORN locations in California. One ACORN worker in San Diego called the cops. Another ACORN worker in San Bernardino caught on to the scheme and played along with it, claiming among other things that she had murdered her abusive husband. Her two former husbands are alive and well, the Attorney General's report noted. At the beginning and end of the Internet videos, O'Keefe was dressed as a 1970s Superfly pimp, but in his actual taped sessions with ACORN workers, he was dressed in a shirt and tie, presented himself as a law student, and said he planned to use the prostitution proceeds to run for Congress. He never claimed he was a pimp."
    The Attorney General found that while some members of ACORN had engaged in "inappropriate behavior," the organization had "committed no violation of criminal laws."[19]

A 2009 investigation by the U.S. House Judiciary Committee found "no evidence of fraudulent voting or of violations of federal financing rules by the group in the past five years," and also that Project Veritas "might have broken privacy laws in California and Maryland [...] The two states “appear to ban” the recording of face-to-face conversations without the consent of all participants, the report said."[20]

Nonetheless, Congress voted to pull funding from ACORN, and the group ceased operating in the United States.

The American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) contributed to pressure against ACORN, as the Center for Media and Democracy found.[21] Despite ACORN's ceasing to operate, as Bloomberg Businessweek reported in late 2014, "Every year since 2009, Congress has added language to must-pass spending bills that prohibits funds from ACORN."[22]

Project veritas are not a trust worthy source, and use deceptively edited video's to misrepresent what people have said and done. They very much fit the definition of fake news, considering there deliberate deception.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭CFlat

It's about time vile little malcontents were called out for what they are. Mind you most of them are too stupid to realise that you are not anonymous when you post on the internet. And I don't care if it was CNN or Mary down the road who called them on it. Actually CNN acted very fairly IMO for that questionable individual.

Squeaky bum time for lots of people.

And that sound you hear now folks, is the sound of internet accounts all over the world closing down and pale faced basement dwellers squinting as they go out into the sunshine for the first time in years. It'll be like a scene from Zombieland just outside your front door.

4chan has started doxxing CNN employees, names addresses phone numbers etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

CNN are absolute scum. They have been conclusively proven to have helped Hillary Clinton in the primaries against Bernie Sanders and subsequently shown bias towards her in the general, so if anybody believes that this is a right wing vs left wing thing, you're wrong. This is not about right vs left, it's about corporatism vs populism. CNN is firmly in favour of corporatism and is willing to openly flaunt that bias when necessary, regardless of the public view. This is not journalism any more than Fox News' right wing bullsh!t is journalism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

gitzy16v wrote: »
    Are CNN going to threaten to dox all the other racist and anti-semitic posters on reddit or just the ones who slag off CNN?

Did they threaten him? Did they dox him? They reported on the guy who created a meme whilst keeping his identity secret.

wes wrote: »
    Project Veritas, you have to be joking :D.

There fake news, and have doctored there "sting" videos in the past:

Project veritas are not a trust worthy source, and use deceptively edited video's to misrepresent what people have said and done. They very much fit the definition of fake news, considering there deliberate deception.

Are you saying CNN is fake news? They deceptively edit video also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

4chan has started doxxing CNN employees, names addresses phone numbers etc

That's not really unusual for 4 chan though.

Whatever about fake news and main stream media I think the weirdest thing is this thread was someone using 4chan as a source. That's jumping the shark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Grayson wrote: »
    Did they threaten him? Did they dox him? They reported on the guy who created a meme whilst keeping his identity secret.

They did threaten him. They stated that his continued anonymity is dependent on his not creating any more such memes - in other words, "do what we tell you, or else". They're a f*cking disgrace to journalism.

• Advertisement
Advertisement