Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CNN tracks down random reddit meme poster and threatens to release his information

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

CNN is firmly in favour of corporatism and is willing to openly flaunt that bias when necessary, regardless of the public view.

You do know who the multi-billionare Donald trump is right?

osarusan wrote: »
    I think this is where CNN should have focused their attention/response - highlight the other stuff that poster has done and ask why the President is highlighting that account. Keep the attention on the president's actions.

I think the way CNN have responded is really poor. When somebody is making themselves look silly, just let them keep doing it. Trump's retweet of the meme already makes him look silly and thin-skinned, so the job is already done.

It reminds me of when people were complaining that Obama had more people at his inauguration. So what? What does it matter? It really was piteous, sour grapes stuff, but instead of just leaving them alone to make themselves look silly, Trump waded in with 'No, there were more people at mine', making himself look ridiculous. Completely unnecessary response which only drew attention to himself, and it's the same for CNN here.

I don't have any sympathy for somebody with a history of racist or anti-semitic posts, but still think CNN have barked up the wrong tree.

At the least, I'd have assumed they'd have done what I assume other organisations do, which is to privately pass on all the info for some apparently unrelated bogger/poster to reveal.

I'm totally in agreement. The whole thing is odd. My first thought after seeing it is that CNN knew they couldn't go after Trump directly, so they went after someone who was a much smaller fish, knowing they could do so much more damage.

I have no sympathy for the guy and firmly believe he had it coming, but similar to Trump, a major global news network should, surely, have better things to be doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Grayson wrote: »
    Did they threaten him? Did they dox him? They reported on the guy who created a meme whilst keeping his identity secret.

Read the article posted in op

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

They did threaten him. They stated that his continued anonymity is dependent on his not creating any more such memes - in other words, "do what we tell you, or else". They're a f*cking disgrace to journalism.

Yeah it's terrible that they asked a racist troll to stop being a racist troll. where will the tyranny end?

self-professed multi-billionaire Donald trump i think you mean.

Yeah it's terrible that they asked a racist troll to stop being a racist troll. where will the tyranny end?

Again,why only this racist troll?
    Why not the many other racist trolls?
    Wouldn't have anything to do with a CNN meme would it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

I think CNN (fake news or not) have done a public service here

They were doing nothing of the sort. They are a petty corporation who were upset that someone made fun of them and it got traction.

If it was fox news doing it you'd have the conservatives up in arms

They did threaten him. They stated that his continued anonymity is dependent on his not creating any more such memes - in other words, "do what we tell you, or else". They're a f*cking disgrace to journalism.

Racist and antisemitic memes.

He targeted a jewish employee of theres,of course theure going to protect their own wouldn't You?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

As I've read on the politics forum it's pointless to argue with Hank Scorpio and other alt-right defenders. It's just annoying they spread their nonsense everywhere.

It's not only about one reddit user, the net is full of people like that one, it's about a president who smirkingly incites violence by using racist and ignorant redding users to get his "message" across. So they singled this one user out. Fine by me.

I like this response :)

self-professed multi-billionaire Donald trump i think you mean.

Sorry yeah you're right,did he ever release them tax returns in the end?

• Advertisement

Mr.H wrote: »
    They were doing nothing of the sort. They are a petty corporation who were upset that someone made fun of them and it got traction.

If it was fox news doing it you'd have the conservatives up in arms

They were protecting one of their own becausw he targeted a Jewish employee read the facts

gitzy16v wrote: »

I think this guy just turned out to be a racist troll and CNN didn't go after him for that. CNN went after him because he was an easier target than Trump. The whole thing, on every side, smacks of playground behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Of course, and I despise him. What's your point? He and his party are not in bed with CNN, ergo CNN didn't support him. Same for Bernie Sanders It's that simple, and it's wrong.

You are aware of the Donna Brazile scandal, right? CNN staffer and deputy chair of the DNC (which is supposed to be neutral) leaked CNN debate questions to the Clinton campaign ahead of a debate with Sanders. CNN knew about this but only fired her after the emails were made public by Wikileaks - and when Debbie Wasserman Schultz, the chairwoman of the DNC, was forced to resign because of those same leaked emails exposing her hatred of Sanders, Brazille was elevated to the chair herself, despite her co-complicity in rigging the debates.

The entire system is corrupt as f*ck, and CNN has made its bias towards the corporatist establishment of the Democratic Party abundantly clear throughout the last two years.

There's a video compilation showing the CNN anchors having absolute meltdowns on election night in November, when it became clear that Trump was running the map - whatever little pretence of impartiality existed rapidly melts away.

We wouldn't tolerate this bullsh!t from RTE. We have laws against it, and the BAI would rip them to shreds if they behaved in the manner that CNN behaved last year. Why is this acceptable merely because we all despise Trump? The enemy of my enemy is not necessarily my friend.

Racist and antisemitic memes.

He targeted a jewish employee of theres,of course theure going to protect their own wouldn't You?

I believe in freedom of speech. Blackmailing somebody into silence, no matter how vile their writings, is fundamentally undemocratic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Carry wrote: »
    As I've read on the politics forum it's pointless to argue with Hank Scorpio and other alt-right defenders. It's just annoying they spread their nonsense everywhere.

Is Julian Assange alt right or anyone who's said CNN overstepped the mark?

The guy is a scumbag, regardless CNN should not be targeting private Citizens for making a harmless gif. This is a stunt to prevent Trump from doing it in the future. The tweet had 600k likes or whatever, CNN needed revenge.

I think this guy just turned out to be a racist troll and CNN didn't go after him for that. CNN went after him because he was an easier target than Trump. The whole thing, on every side, smacks of playground behaviour.

That's what I thought but we've plenty on here claiming otherwise.
    The fact he's a racist troll is just a bonus for CNN.

Everybody has the right to freedom of speech, troll or not. The media engaging in blackmail of any kind is fundamentally undemocratic and unjournalistic.

I believe in freedom of speech. Blackmailing somebody into silence, no matter how vile their writings, is fundamentally undemocratic.

Well just imagine it was your child being bullied and abused online,this happens every day and leads to the massive amount of suicide here in this country. Would you still believe in the freedom of speech then? Would you tell your child or anyone experiencing it for that matter that" they are just exercising their right to free speech and we should all respect that,now continue you with your abuse Mr.troll"

Well just imagine it was your child being bullied and abused online,this happens every day and leads to the massive amount of suicide here in this country. Would you still believe in the freedom of speech then? Would you tell your child or anyone experiencing it for that matter that" they are just exercising their right to free speech and we should all respect that,now continue you with your abuse Mr.troll"

Yes I would, and I'd encourage my kid to fight fire with fire rather than act as if there's some "right not to be offended". I wouldn't be raising kids to take words on the internet to heart anyway - my parents are both former journalists and raised me not to allow random words from internet strangers to piss me off. But this is also a false comparison - an employee of a corporation is in no way comparable to a parent/child relationship, and it says a lot about society's dysfunctional attitude to corporatism that anyone would imagine that they are.

Regardless, blackmailing or threatening somebody into silence is fundamentally undemocratic regardless of what they're saying or who they're saying it to - period.

• Advertisement

he raised his head above the parapet.

Everybody has the right to freedom of speech, troll or not. The media engaging in blackmail of any kind is fundamentally undemocratic and unjournalistic.

i dont think you understand what freedom of speech means. releasing his name would not impinge on that right.

i dont think you understand what freedom of speech means. releasing his name would not impinge on that right.

Telling somebody to "stop speaking or else" goes against the spirit of it, as should be more than obvious.

Had they just doxxed him, I wouldn't be regarding it as a violation of freedom of speech. It's the fact that they're saying "we will refrain from releasing it as long as you change your speech" that makes it a violation.

he raised his head above the parapet.

No he didn't.

Telling somebody to "stop speaking or else" goes against the spirit of it, as should be more than obvious.

Had they just doxxed him, I wouldn't be regarding it as a violation of freedom of speech. It's the fact that they're saying "we will refrain from releasing it as long as you change your speech" that makes it a violation.

it aint a violation of nothing.

it aint a violation of nothing.

That so?

https://twitter.com/JulianAssange/status/882480814499536897

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Does everyone have the right to anonymous speech? I'm not trolling you when I say that. It's an interesting idea. I think there are times when it can be "in the public interest" (to use a common phrase). There may be other times. If someone is making anonymous threats or statements about a person, does that person have the right to know who's saying it? And does that person then have the right to share that information?

CNN made an agreement with him not to release his name in return for him stopping being a little racist troll. He agreed to this. there is no threat in the twitter post from CNN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

To be fair, by that standard most of 4chan and the members of a lot of sub reddits should be arrested.

Grayson wrote: »
    Does everyone have the right to anonymous speech? I'm not trolling you when I say that. It's an interesting idea. I think there are times when it can be "in the public interest" (to use a common phrase). There may be other times. If someone is making anonymous threats or statements about a person, does that person have the right to know who's saying it? And does that person then have the right to share that information?

I'd regard doxxing as part and parcel of free speech. My issue here is not with the doxxing - if CNN had merely published the guy's name, I wouldn't regard that as anti-free speech. It's the transactional nature of their communications with him - telling him that he must cease his behaviour or else have his dox released. That's what I take issue with. Applying literally any form of pressure or coercion on somebody to cease their speech is just as bad as outright censoring it.

• Advertisement

CNN made an agreement with him not to release his name in return for him stopping being a little racist troll. He agreed to this. there is no threat in the twitter post from CNN.

No...it was to stop taking the piss out of CNN with silly memes.
    The fact he's a racist troll is a happy bonus for them

No...it was to stop taking the piss out of CNN with silly memes.
    The fact he's a racist troll is a happy bonus for them

clearly you havent read what CNN actually said. Its in the first post. take a little time to read it.

Yeah, an "agreement". :)

I'm sure he was thrilled by the whole ordeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

They were protecting one of their own becausw he targeted a Jewish employee read the facts

He irony of telling me to read the facts.......

Hey went after him for making the meme. Simple as.

CNN play dirty and between making up stuff about Russia and now making threats to a civilian..... it's time the anti trump brigade climb down from their horse for a moment and just call out people for what they are. If your anti trump that's fine. Keep telling everyone when he is in the wrong. But don't forget others can be wrong too.

CNN are in the wrong here irregardless of how this individual behaves

Yeah, an "agreement". :)

I'm sure he was thrilled by the whole ordeal.

he was free not to make that agreement. He entered into it because he didnt want the world to know the type of person he really is.

clearly you havent read what CNN actually said. Its in the first post. take a little time to read it.

If there's anything I've learned about the press, it's to take them at face value, especially when it comes to PR issues.

Hahaha I'm supposed to believe what CNN says?
    They're down with Breitbart for speaking the truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Celticfire

wes wrote: »
    Project Veritas, you have to be joking :D.

There fake news, and have doctored there "sting" videos in the past:

Project veritas are not a trust worthy source, and use deceptively edited video's to misrepresent what people have said and done. They very much fit the definition of fake news, considering there deliberate deception.

Going by your standards then CNN is also a non trustworthy source of news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'd regard doxxing as part and parcel of free speech. My issue here is not with the doxxing - if CNN had merely published the guy's name, I wouldn't regard that as anti-free speech. It's the transactional nature of their communications with him - telling him that he must cease his behaviour or else have his dox released. That's what I take issue with. Applying literally any form of pressure or coercion on somebody to cease their speech is just as bad as outright censoring it.

You have it the wrong way round. He said he would stop his own behaviour and apologised for what he had done, and then CNN agreed not to release his info based on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

seamus wrote: »
    Funny how racists always start crying when people might find out they're racists. It's almost like it's not OK.
    Not really sure who you try to call racist - the 15yo redditer* or Wikileaks. Can you elaborate?
    seamus wrote: »
    Anyway, this is very far from doxxing. He's not being extorted or blackmailed or threatened. If anything they're protecting him by giving him the opportunity to go quietly into the night. Breitbart or the Daily Mail would just publish.
    They are not protecting him.

If I went to the trouble to find out your real name seamus, then I posted on boards that I knew - but I am for now withholding your identity. Is that protecting you?
    It's not, it's blackmail.

*since we don't know who he is yet I am not sure he is 15 but that's what reddit says

• Advertisement

If there's anything I've learned about the press, it's to take them at face value, especially when it comes to PR issues.
    Hahaha I'm supposed to believe what CNN says?
    They're down with Breitbart for speaking the truth.

there really isnt any basis for discussion then is there?

he was free not to make that agreement. He entered into it because he didnt want the world to know the type of person he really is.

The type of person he is has nothing got it do with it. It's CNNs way to get back at Trump because they can't get him.

Celticfire wrote: »
    [YOsUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTdqZnu6Gao[/YOUTUBE]

Going by your standards then CNN is also a non trustworthy source of news.

Don't expect a reply, I posted a similar vid.

That's something I was wondering about - you can be guaranteed that CNN passed this through their legal department (or at least you'd hope) before releasing the statement.

biko wrote: »
    Not really sure who you try to call racist - the 15yo redditer or Wikileaks. Can you elaborate?

They are not protecting him.

If I went to the trouble to find out your real name seamus, then I posted on boards that I knew - but I am for now withholding your identity. Is that protecting you?
    It's not, it's blackmail.

what makes you think he is 15? In one of his posts he says he left Maryland in 1990. i think that puts him at 26 at least.

there really isnt any basis for discussion then is there?

I suppose not.
    I believe they did it because of the CNN meme.
    You believe they did it because he's a racist troll.

Adios amigo.

The type of person he is has nothing got it do with it. It's CNNs way to get back at Trump because they can't get him.

do you think trump gives a monkey about this guy except for his value as a propaganda tool?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

You'd think they might use their resources in a better way.

Trump might be a buffoon but he's the misdirection in this horrible magic trick the GOP and others are playing on the American people. It's time the reporters started working on the bigger fish instead of some shrivelling dick on the internet

Penn wrote: »
    You have it the wrong way round. He said he would stop his own behaviour and apologised for what he had done, and then CNN agreed not to release his info based on that.

As per CNN's own words, “CNN reserves the right to publish his identity should any of that change”. That's what makes it transactional. If that aspect had been omitted from CNN's communications with him and from their public statements, I wouldn't be accusing them of de facto censorship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

what makes you think he is 15? In one of his posts he says he left Maryland in 1990. i think that puts him at 26 at least.
    That's what I read on reddit, of course we could be wrong.
    I suppose we'll just have to wait for CNN to publish his name and age...

Advertisement