Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dipping or shower

• 05-07-2017 9:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭

It is that time again for dipping was thinking of getting them showered instead of dipping this year less stress on animal and man what are others thoughts on this
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cran

It is that time again for dipping was thinking of getting them showered instead of dipping this year less stress on animal and man what are others thoughts on this
    Thanks

Use the shower for few years, dipped last year don't think any comparison even though our shower guy is excellent. If you have a handy bath dip, if not shower is ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Thanks

There's no comparison, dipping way better, but if you don't have scab, showering is probably alright.

Only ever had scab here once and two showerings a month apart didn't cure it, but when i gave in to dipping the first dip did the trick, but i did follow it up with another dipping six weeks later just to be sure.
    If i had given in to putting in a dipping bath at the start it would have saved a lot of money and Ivomec which wasn't successful either
    It's an awful job once they cop on to the bath, my older ewes herewon't even go within two or three yards of the bath but I do them every year anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭serfspup

shower only for fly control and not that great.proper dip controls lice,ticks and fly.

single dip for scab only kills the mites on the sheep so has to be repeated 6-7 days later to kill fresh hatch.similarly with ivomec.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Have to agree with the lads dipping over shower any day. Built a dipping tub and a yard around it last year. Done the whole lot myself. Worked out at about €1200. Has to be the best money I ever spent. Just if you are dipping them make sure they are at least a minute in it. Otherwise the maggots will come back after 2 or 3 weeks.

serfspup wrote: »
    shower only for fly control and not that great.proper dip controls lice,ticks and fly.

single dip for scab only kills the mites on the sheep so has to be repeated 6-7 days later to kill fresh hatch.similarly with ivomec.

I think dipping kills everything in 24 hrs and will protect them until they can't be re infected of gates and fence posts
    Two injections of Ivomec didn't work here, but the single plunge dip did the job......just did the second one to be sure to be sure.
    They have to be in the bath for a minute and totally submersed twice.....we always put washing soda and aluminium sulphate in the bath as well so it cures the feet as well at the same time, Vet advised the aluminium sulphate for the cuts and grazes from the scab and we've used it ever since,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Dickie10

we have a dipper and i usually dip now arouund august 15th. dip any store lambs i have too at the same time, well same day not with ewes

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭123shooter

What about pour-on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Washing soda rangler?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭serfspup

seen it time and again lads dipping once to clear scab it does not work
    sheep will be back itching within a month.

other geniuses 'i injicted the wan that was scrathin'

ivomec really needed three shots but has been superceded by dectomax and cydectin.

Washing soda rangler?

softens the water for better penetration,
    washing up liquid in a footbath is another good idea

• Advertisement
Advertisement