Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-opening Corbally Baths?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,928 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Don't know how possible it could be but saw this the other day about Copenhagen and thought it was a brillant idea.

http://denmark.dk/en/green-living/copenhagen/swimming-in-copenhagen-harbour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Don't know how possible it could be but saw this the other day about Copenhagen and thought it was a brillant idea.

http://denmark.dk/en/green-living/copenhagen/swimming-in-copenhagen-harbour

It's somewhat appropriate that we look to Denmark for examples. We are a Danish City after all! I think the name of the blog I posted (Hlymrekr) is the original Viking name for Limerick, meaning "Mighty Noise".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

Would love to see it happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Could this be achieved in the city centre? Maybe use the site of Limerick boat club to develop facilities and a bath arrs beside the clubhouse

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

O'Dwyer Bridge to Corbally Baths would be a lovely cycle if the path was cleaned up and widened. I'd like to see priority given to the Island Bank renovations though. It's been closed for 3 years since the flood topped it.

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »
    Could this be achieved in the city centre? Maybe use the site of Limerick boat club to develop facilities and a bath arrs beside the clubhouse

Was the first area I thought of when I saw what they did with the Copenhagen harbour. Have it set up down by poor man's Kilkee and incorporate the island where the boat club is.
    I'd like to see priority given to the Island Bank renovations though. It's been closed for 3 years since the flood topped it.

Unfortunately can't see this being done for many years to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭BobMc

A good idea in theory, in theory only.

I cant see residents going for it where the traffic has to travel thru (springgrove)

and secondly the largest proplem is the anti social behaviour it would bring, the area already lacks enforcement in
    this area

but in saying that, I'd love to see it it' be like two mile gate but in the city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

BobMc wrote: »
    and secondly the largest proplem is the anti social behaviour it would bring, the area already lacks enforcement in
    this area

It always annoys me when this is touted out as a reason to stop development. Why would it attract anti-social behaviour?

I think reopening of the corbally baths would be a brilliant idea. I went swimming for the first time through the city last week and it was amazing. Passing under Sarsfield Bridge and over the curraghower falls especially was such an experience. The water was fresh and clear and I could see all the way down to the bottom. Open water swimming sessions with Limerick Masters in Castleconnell or OBB with the Tri club are always very busy, so there is a real appetite for people to swim in the Shannon.

I suggest people start using it as a public swimming amenity if possible? Would it be safe to swim there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Great idea, incidentally, the pool at St. Enda's was demolished this week to make way for a car park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭BobMc

panda100 wrote: »
    It always annoys me when this is touted out as a reason to stop development. Why would it attract anti-social behaviour?

I think reopening of the corbally baths would be a brilliant idea. I went swimming for the first time through the city last week and it was amazing. Passing under Sarsfield Bridge and over the curraghower falls especially was such an experience. The water was fresh and clear and I could see all the way down to the bottom. Open water swimming sessions with Limerick Masters in Castleconnell or OBB with the Tri club are always very busy, so there is a real appetite for people to swim in the Shannon.

I suggest people start using it as a public swimming amenity if possible? Would it be safe to swim there?

Perhaps from experience, its already heavily used for anti social goings on and knowing full well the lack of not only effort but availability of Gardai it creates a magnet for it and the people living closest will suffer from it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Anti-social behaviour and the perception or fear of it are often issues with these kind of things. Also, people use the threat of anti-social behaviour to stop projects like this happening and to keep an area exclusive for themselves.

It's worth mentioning that anti-social behaviour is preventable and shouldn't be a reason not to do something. Also, the locals are important stakeholders and their views should be taken into account. They are by no means the only stakeholders however. The greater good for the city should be served above all else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Are you more likely to have anti-social behaviour in a run-down, disused facility or in a facility that has been renovated and is in use by the public I wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭geotrig

the anti social aspect is moot point here really , there is already anti social issue there so wouldnt really be changed . If it was done right I.E open /clear pathways and add some cameras there would be no issues. I can imagine some people had the same reservations about the shannon fields path, my only concern would be around maintenance of it as we have a history if doing things and letting them go for a while then ,i'd love to see it happen.

Out of interest when did they stop being used , im almost certain i can remember them being used ,when i was very young ,but it could be my mind playing tricks

zulutango wrote: »
    It's worth mentioning that anti-social behaviour is preventable and shouldn't be a reason not to do something. Also, the locals are important stakeholders and their views should be taken into account. They are by no means the only stakeholders however. The greater good for the city should be served above all else.

You ask the residents that live next to the baths and they'll say no imo, unless we have someone here that lives in the area and would know the opinion of some of the residents. They'll use anti social behaviour as an excuse, don't know what it's like now but when we used to hang around there ten years ago when 17/18 there was nothing happening but residents would constantly ring the guards cause they didn't want a crowd hanging around the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

I would say another reason is Limerick's famed compo culture. There would be head the balls breaking limbs jumping in , banging heads etc and suing the council of they provide the facility.

After the pitch invasion at the Gaeilc Grounds for example there were three PI claims against the GAA.

Some people ruin these things for everybody. Why we can't have nice things.

geotrig wrote: »
    Out of interest when did they stop being used , im almost certain i can remember them being used ,when i was very young ,but it could be my mind playing tricks

I'm not sure but apparently people stopped swimming there because the water was unsafe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

wingnut wrote: »
    I would say another reason is Limerick's famed compo culture. There would be head the balls breaking limbs jumping in , banging heads etc and suing the council of they provide the facility.
    That was a thought that crossed my mind too, but I wonder if the council aren't liable for it right now anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Things that stand in the way. The original access is now a housing estate so a concern has to be measured towards their quality of life. I'm sure the original drawings(of the estate) didn't allow for an access way to the baths for public use so they'd be up against it in a big way. People are d*cks anyway so would park where they like, drive too fast and not pass anybody any apology.

As for compo claims, this becomes a 2 parter. Clare County Council have a swimming area, albeit indoors, and it's been there a long long time so they've seem to have managed it from that aspect. They also have all those beaches with rocks etc and it seems okay.

The other part of it would be that the health and safety crowd would be all over this and the baths would never look the same. They'd have railings galore, safety everywhere for fear of such compo claims and for injuries however minor or serious.

I remember the baths just before it closed and it was fine, I remember it before it was knocked as well and it was antisocial behaviour galore along with the usual smell of urine.

The Corbally baths gives me my last memory of the mill road because I remember cycling passed the entrance-way off the mill road when there was trucks galore up and down the mill road. One truck, after dropping off blocks/bricks, was passing me and had plastic flying in the wind as it passed me(only noticed as it snaked over my back). It, like a cartoon, then managed to wrap itself around my forks, through the wheels and around the handlebars before you could say "yoink" and the bike was ripped out from under me. I smashed, cartoon like, into one of the wooden poles and the truck relinquished it's grip on my bike as the driver continued on unknowing of my tumble(maybe he did :D)

Berty wrote: »
    The Corbally baths gives me my last memory of the mill road because I remember cycling passed the entrance-way off the mill road when there was trucks galore up and down the mill road. One truck, after dropping off blocks/bricks, was passing me and had plastic flying in the wind as it passed me(only noticed as it snaked over my back). It, like a cartoon, then managed to wrap itself around my forks, through the wheels and around the handlebars before you could say "yoink" and the bike was ripped out from under me. I smashed, cartoon like, into one of the wooden poles and the truck relinquished it's grip on my bike as the driver continued on unknowing of my tumble(maybe he did :D)

That sounds both horrific and hillarious at the same time :pac:

I think people are being very cynical of others on this thread with talk of health and safety,compo culture, anti-social behaviour etc. I grew up in London where we had lots of public lido's and open air swimming areas. The positives of these sort of amenities far outweigh the negatives. If I knew the water was safe there I would go swimming there in the morning and save the trek out to castleconnell!

Went down to the old baths yesterday evening. It's so beautiful down there. A few of us are working on reviving swimming in that area, starting with a trip down there on Sunday. If anyone wants to get involved send me a PM :)

• Advertisement

panda100 wrote: »
    I'm not sure but apparently people stopped swimming there because the water was unsafe?

I had assumed it was more down to lack of use or dwindling appeal over the years than anything ! ..although slighty different areas of the river Im fairly sure people still swan in the 40ft in the early 2000's at least and the canal also ,although i still see the odd person swimming there.
    I had put the lack of people swimming in these areas down to the"pampered"generation not allowed and not bothered as they had/have so much more than the generations of before, as well as more swimming pools in the city in general, at the time the canal used to be fairly busy at both sides by the bridge in the summers

I had assumed it was more down to lack of use or dwindling appeal over the years than anything ! ..although slighty different areas of the river Im fairly sure people still swan in the 40ft in the early 2000's at least and the canal also ,although i still see the odd person swimming there.
    I had put the lack of people swimming in these areas down to the"pampered"generation not allowed and not bothered as they had/have so much more than the generations of before, as well as more swimming pools in the city in general, at the time the canal used to be fairly busy at both sides by the bridge in the summers

People still swam on the Island Bank up to just before the flood and you had people swimming at the metal bridge only a few weeks ago, the water might not be safe but you still had people in swimming anyway.

is it water quality that people are deeming not safe or just being in the water in general :confused: ? the water is probably in better condition now than it has ever been ! moreso than what we swam in in the 90's anyway ! flood gates always open and the dump to name two dangers !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

People (youths) still go for a dip in the creek by the M20 - which is crazy dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

The last Christmas day swim which I was at, at the baths was I'd say 6/7 years ago, it stopped because of the water quality AFAIK

Vehicle access & antisocial behavior will be two significant issues, the latter could be possibly sorted with CCTV & lighting, access will be a bigger issue, the council have a shrubbery just beyond the boundary with Spring Grove & they lock the access gates to the baths every evening & they are locked all weekend. The shrubbery has been broken into a few times with thousands of euro damage & theft

Spring Grove is a pretty quiet estate, I would doubt that the residents will welcome the extra traffic, not saying it couldn't be done with a bit of planning of lighting, CCTV, security, designated parking area etc

is it water quality that people are deeming not safe or just being in the water in general :confused: ? the water is probably in better condition now than it has ever been ! moreso than what we swam in in the 90's anyway ! flood gates always open and the dump to name two dangers !

Water quality I'd say, they stuck one of those signs up warning people about how poor the quality of water was in the Island Bank baths, that was 20 years ago and don't know whether they've tested it since.

I often remember when you swam down at the pipe on the island bank and everything was good until you heard the flush coming and it was all out to let it flow away and back in again haha.

Corbally baths are quiet overgrown in parts. Would imagine there'd be a lot of tree/bush roots etc underwater.

Water quality I'd say, they stuck one of those signs up warning people about how poor the quality of water was in the Island Bank baths, that was 20 years ago and don't know whether they've tested it since.

I often remember when you swam down at the pipe on the island bank and everything was good until you heard the flush coming and it was all out to let it flow away and back in again haha.

I swam a bit in Corbally in the 80s & early 90s. Always with old trainers on. Came home one day and my Mam was washing the mud off. Load of eel fry stuck in a hole in the sole of the trainers. RIP several baby eel.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭somespud

The reason for the Christmas Day swim to finish up in the baths was a build up of silt which made it too shallow to swim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Would the water in any part of the Shannon not be toxic? Imagine getting a mouthful of it

Advertisement