Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advise please. New built or 10 years old house

Options
  • 05-07-2017 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi all,
    We just got our own house sale agreed. We are interested in two properties. Details as follows. Please guide me on this. DH and I are very confused.
    1. New built - price 425k , 5 mins drive to work. Detached house. Sought after location. Close to school. Looks bit small for our liking even though it says it's 1800 sqft. It doesn't look like 1800 sqft. Green area is planned yet to be completed. Dense development. Overlooking at the back. No sun room.
    2. 10 year old house - price 330k - 2000 sq ft with high ceiling. Private garden. Big sun room. Attic converted. 12 mins drive to work. Big lot. Lot of green areas. 10 km away from city. Small shops around within 5 mins walk. Very quiet estate not crowded. Only detached houses.

Which one would you consider. We are very confused. Which one better new house with A rating or old house with C rating.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,968 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Older house. I would not buy a new build, although that's just me. The plots are small, parking is difficult. Older houses have more room, maybe better spec (although that depends on when it was built!).

The second hand one sounds great, the first one not so much. You can always upgrade the BER ratings with the saving in price.

Best of luck. It's a big thing buying a house, just make sure you are absolutely happy. You will know after a few more viewings and driving around at different times.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

I would go with the cheaper house, it seems to be better in every way except the energy rating (which, depending on who you talk to, isnt a very reliable way of assessing how efficient a house is to heat). You would buy a lot of insulation (or fuel) for 95K.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Even the tone of your post leads me to believe you prefer the 10 year old house. A C energy rating really isn't that bad.

Flip a coin, whichever way it lands, if you are happy or sad, you'll know which one you really want.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

For a few reasons, I'd be leaning towards the old build in your position.

Larger house
    Larger garden
    More established estate
    €95k saving compared to new build. That leaves a lot of scope for improvement/redecorating/modernisation/insulation.
    Not competing with FTB which is almost certainly inflating the price of new builds

• Registered Users Posts: 34,934 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

10 years 'old' is pretty new as is anyway.

I'd definitely be going with that one, seems like a no brainer! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Old house for me. The biggest issue I see with buying a new development over something in an established estate is... you have no idea what way the new development will turn out over the next 5-10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I'd be worried about a ten year old house. That puts it at the tail end of the boom when houses were being thrown up with little consideration for anything, however in this case it does sound like the better deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭MIRMIR82

BBMcQ wrote: »
    Even the tone of your post leads me to believe you prefer the 10 year old house. A C energy rating really isn't that bad.

Flip a coin, whichever way it lands, if you are happy or sad, you'll know which one you really want.

If you flip a coin, whichever one you want will be what you are hoping for when the coin is in the air!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

MIRMIR82 wrote: »
    BBMcQ wrote: »

If you flip a coin, whichever one you want will be what you are hoping for when the coin is in the air!!
    Either way it's a great way of finding out what you actually want!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I'd be very cautious about buying a home built during the boom time i.e. 10 years old.

Make sure you do your due diligence thoroughly and get full structural reports etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 gerry26

Thanks Very much for all your inputs / suggestions. I do agree with all of you that is no brainer to go with 10 year old house provided it's structurally sound .though it looks very solid built.
    I forgot to mention that the 10 year old house is 10 km away from work in a small town with shops around. The road from work to that town has no street lights. The house is in the nice estate. Its just the road has no lights. Would that put you off.
    The new house is in the city so no question about lights.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Services available to each? Schools, shops(eg not a corner store), internet, etc.

Being able to not have to drive your children to school, go drinking and walk back, not to be completely reliant on the car is a huge plus to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

What's the zoning/building level on that 10km stretch?

If it's targeted for development your 12minute commute could become 30+.
    Unlikely, but you'll get an idea by reviewing development plans and planning applications.

There are primary and secondary schools near by. Not so popular. Internet is there. Centra and spar is just two mins walk. Two petrol stations also there. No plan to improve the road. Road is in good condition just a single road from work to the eatate but has no street lights. Strange. Town is bright and nice. Just the road is making me to think. Have you ever lived in a small town which is very close to city and has nice big estates (3) ,road with no lights. I need to get back to the auctioneer before tomorrow evening . Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

gerry26 wrote:
    forgot to mention that the 10 year old house is 10 km away from work in a small town with shops around. The road from work to that town has no street lights. The quite is in the nice estate. Its just the road has no lights. Would that put you off. The new house is in the city so no question about lights.

Are you saying that the main road doesn't have lights! Your car has lights and many people happily live in the countryside without road or at least street lighting you would have.

gerry26 wrote:
    forgot to mention that the 10 year old house is 10 km away from work in a small town with shops around. The road from work to that town has no street lights. The quite is in the nice estate. Its just the road has no lights. Would that put you off. The new house is in the city so no question about lights.

Are you saying that the main road doesn't have lights! Your car has lights and many people happily live in the countryside without road or at least street lighting you would have.
    😊 so true.

Advertisement