If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AV Receiver - Upgrade from Onkyo 607

Options
  • 05-07-2017 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I asked this question 2 years ago but didn't get around to buying so my apologies for wasting your time back then! Other things still going on that are draining the funds. However, I'm going to upgrade my AV Receiver. I currently have the Onkyo 607 paired with the MA Radius HD speakers, bought from you back in 2009, in a dedicated cinema room. Whats your latest recommendation for a good upgrade. Nothing to over the top but something that will last me another 8 years :p
    Say around... 600 euro, can stretch if its worth it...

Cheers!

Edit : After doing some reading I'm gearing towards Denon AVRX3300 vs AVRX2400 ..... It was a Denon you recommended previously also. I've also ended up checking out the MA in ceiling speakers for Atmos :rolleyes: :o

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Brian

chris_ie wrote: »
    Hi guys,
         I asked this question 2 years ago but didn't get around to buying so my apologies for wasting your time back then! Other things still going on that are draining the funds. However, I'm going to upgrade my AV Receiver. I currently have the Onkyo 607 paired with the MA Radius HD speakers, bought from you back in 2009, in a dedicated cinema room. Whats your latest recommendation for a good upgrade. Nothing to over the top but something that will last me another 8 years :p
    Say around... 600 euro, can stretch if its worth it...

Cheers!

Edit : After doing some reading I'm gearing towards Denon AVRX3300 vs AVRX2400 ..... It was a Denon you recommended previously also. I've also ended up checking out the MA in ceiling speakers for Atmos :rolleyes: :o
    Hi chris_ie

The Denons would still be high on the list in terms of recommendation. The new Denon AVRX2400 is a fantastic amp with Heos built in meaning you can add wireless Heos speakers as rears. They also sound great, we have one set up in our demo room and they power any type of speaker very well.

The Radius system is a fantastic speaker set. If you are looking to add in ceiling speakers to the system I would recommend the Monitor Audio CT165 speakers. they retails at £105 each but if you are buying both together I could look at a price for you.

Let me know what you think.

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Hi chris_ie

The Denons would still be high on the list in terms of recommendation. The new Denon AVRX2400 is a fantastic amp with Heos built in meaning you can add wireless Heos speakers as rears. They also sound great, we have one set up in our demo room and they power any type of speaker very well.

The Radius system is a fantastic speaker set. If you are looking to add in ceiling speakers to the system I would recommend the Monitor Audio CT165 speakers. they retails at £105 each but if you are buying both together I could look at a price for you.

Kind regards

David
    Cheers David, would you recommend the AVRX2400 over the AVRX3300? I know the 3300 is older but had wondered if it was the better option to the new 2400.

Only issue I'd have with the in ceiling and Atmos is that my cinema room is a converted attic with a sloped ceiling, trying to suss out if/how it would work. Wouldnt be able to place them at the recommended position anyway.

Chris.

Hi chris_ie

Kind regards

David
    Cheers David, would you recommend the AVRX2400 over the AVRX3300? I know the 3300 is older but had wondered if it was the better option to the new 2400.

Only issue I'd have with the in ceiling and Atmos is that my cinema room is a converted attic with a sloped ceiling, trying to suss out if/how it would work. Wouldnt be able to place them at the recommended position anyway.

Chris.
    Hi Chris,

I would still recommend the 2400. The main differences between the two amps are, the 3300 has a separate HDMI Zone Output and Coax inputs whereas the 2400 does not. The power difference is 95 watts per channel on the 2400 and 105 watts per channel on the 3300. The 3300 is still a great amp but as I say we have the 2400 set up in our demo room and I prefer the sound of it.

Kind regards

David

Hi Chris,

I would still recommend the 2400. The main differences between the two amps are, the 3300 has a separate HDMI Zone Output and Coax inputs whereas the 2400 does not. The power difference is 95 watts per channel on the 2400 and 105 watts per channel on the 3300. The 3300 is still a great amp but as I say we have the 2400 set up in our demo room and I prefer the sound of it.

Kind regards

David
    Cool, could you give me a price (euro) for the Denon 2400 and a price for the 2400 plus 2 of the CT165's? Still need to figure out if I'd be able to do Atmos.

Cheers!

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi Chris,

Kind regards

David
    Cool, could you give me a price (euro) for the Denon 2400 and a price for the 2400 plus 2 of the CT165's? Still need to figure out if I'd be able to do Atmos.

Cheers!
    Hi Chris,

The cost of the AVRX2400 is 599 Euro. The regular price of the 2400 with two CT165s would be 851 Euro, my price would be: 790 Euro.

Kind regards

David

• Advertisement

Thanks for that David. Is that including delivery (Donegal)? Contacted the guys at monitor audio aswell regarding my setup and they came back saying they reckon that the sloped ceiling may actually help in my case, even drew a rough idea of placement on the photo I sent :P First time I've contacted them directly, great detailed response from them.

Of course they recommended the CT265-IDC's as I'd read elsewhere also, but the price is a bit too much at the minute. So as it stands I will be taking the Denon 2400 and just need to decide on whether or not to take the CT165's or leave it til later and get the CT-265-IDC's.

Have you had many people using the CT165's for Atmos? Any on a sloped ceiling? (unlikely)

Also, are they only in white? My room is painted black, not a huge deal as I could work something out.

Edit : I'll need more cable if I go for the speakers also!
    Edit 2 : If I went for the 3300, is there any difference to the quote above?

Thanks for that David. Is that including delivery (Donegal)? Contacted the guys at monitor audio aswell regarding my setup and they came back saying they reckon that the sloped ceiling may actually help in my case, even drew a rough idea of placement on the photo I sent :P First time I've contacted them directly, great detailed response from them.

Of course they recommended the CT265-IDC's as I'd read elsewhere also, but the price is a bit too much at the minute. So as it stands I will be taking the Denon 2400 and just need to decide on whether or not to take the CT165's or leave it til later and get the CT-265-IDC's.

Have you had many people using the CT165's for Atmos? Any on a sloped ceiling? (unlikely)

Also, are they only in white? My room is painted black, not a huge deal as I could work something out.

Hi chris_ie,

We actually use the CT165s in the demo room for atmos and they sound great. I will include shipping to Donegal in that price and they are only available in white unfortunately.

How much cable would you need? I can work you out a price on that as well depending on how long you need.

Kind regards

David

Hi chris_ie,

We actually use the CT165s in the demo room for atmos and they sound great. I will include shipping to Donegal in that price and they are only available in white unfortunately.

How much cable would you need? I can work you out a price on that as well depending on how long you need.

Kind regards

David
    Thanks David,

how much would the 3300 be? I see the 2400 is £499 (€566 converted) and the 3300 is £479 (€543 converted) on the UK site. However on the Irish site the 2400 is €599 and the 3300 is €699.
    Gearing slightly towards the 3300 again (sorry!!), I know its older but think there might be more value for me as I wouldn't make use of the new features in the 2400.
    What sort of price can you do on that?
    I promise I'll bite the bullet soon ;)

Hi chris_ie,

Kind regards

David
    Thanks David,

how much would the 3300 be? I see the 2400 is £499 (€566 converted) and the 3300 is £479 (€543 converted) on the UK site. However on the Irish site the 2400 is €599 and the 3300 is €699.
    Gearing slightly towards the 3300 again (sorry!!), I know its older but think there might be more value for me as I wouldn't make use of the new features in the 2400.
    What sort of price can you do on that?
    I promise I'll bite the bullet soon ;)
    Hi chris_ie,

The UK site has dropped the price to £479 and it is now an instore item only.  To make available for shipping, the best price I can do on that would £499 plus £6.99 shipping. It would probably work out cheaper if you let the bank work out the conversion rate. I can still do a price on the In Ceiling speakers and cable.

Kind regards

David

Hi chris_ie,

The UK site has dropped the price to £479 and it is now an instore item only. To make available for shipping, the best price I can do on that would £499 plus £6.99 shipping. It would probably work out cheaper if you let the bank work out the conversion rate. I can still do a price on the In Ceiling speakers and cable.

Kind regards

David
    Hi David,
    I reckon I might need around 17m of cable, rounded up to include a bit of slack there I think/hope! :) All my other speakers use the Ultra Micro Cambridge Audio. When I first bought the system I had run the cable under carpet etc but since I have the dedicated room now its all behind the walls so do you think I should just stick with the Ultra Micro Cambridge Audio cable or would something else be better or cheaper doing the same job?

Finally, a price for the Denon 3300, along with 2 x CT165's and 17m cable. Delivery to Donegal.

Thanks!

Chris.

• Advertisement

Hi chris_ie,

The UK site has dropped the price to £479 and it is now an instore item only.  To make available for shipping, the best price I can do on that would £499 plus £6.99 shipping. It would probably work out cheaper if you let the bank work out the conversion rate. I can still do a price on the In Ceiling speakers and cable.

Kind regards

David
    Hi David,
         I reckon I might need around 17m of cable, rounded up to include a bit of slack there I think/hope! :) All my other speakers use the Ultra Micro Cambridge Audio. When I first bought the system I had run the cable under carpet etc but since I have the dedicated room now its all behind the walls so do you think I should just stick with the Ultra Micro Cambridge Audio cable or would something else be better or cheaper doing the same job?

Finally, a price for the Denon 3300, along with 2 x CT165's and 17m cable. Delivery to Donegal.

Thanks!

Chris.
    Hi Chris,

I would stick with the Ultra Micro. It's great cable and easily hidden. I can certainly do a price on these items. For all including shipping to Donegal:

£687.50 sterling or 830 Euro.

Kind regards

David

Hi chris_ie,

Kind regards

David
    Hi David,

Thanks!

Chris.
    Hi Chris,

I would stick with the Ultra Micro. It's great cable and easily hidden. I can certainly do a price on these items. For all including shipping to Donegal:

Kind regards

David
    Sounds like a pretty sweet deal. So much for my initial €600ish budget :DOh well, better getting the speakers now too.

Shall I give you guys a call to finalize? I can PM the delivery details.

Hi chris_ie,

Kind regards

David
    Hi David,

Thanks!

Chris.
    Hi Chris,

Kind regards

David
    Sounds like a pretty sweet deal. So much for my initial €600ish budget :DOh well, better getting the speakers now too.

Shall I give you guys a call to finalize? I can PM the delivery details.
    Hi Chris,

If you PM me your contact number I can call you for details.

Kind regards

David

Hi Chris,

Kind regards

David
    All sorted.

Cheers David!

Hi Chris,

Kind regards

David
    All sorted.

Cheers David!
    No problem Chris, if you need anything else don't hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards

David

Hi again, didn't realise you guys did the fire hoods for in ceiling speakers aswell! I would have ordered two along with my order if I had, oops. I'll be installing the two MA CT165s in the ceiling, which firehood would you recommend?

Hi again, didn't realise you guys did the fire hoods for in ceiling speakers aswell! I would have ordered two along with my order if I had, oops. I'll be installing the two MA CT165s in the ceiling, which firehood would you recommend?
    Hi Chris_ie,

The firehoods that we stock would be the Cambridge FH10 and FH20. As your speaker is 6.5" I would recommend the FH20 at £49.95 as the FH10 only suits for driver sizes up to 6". The FH20 does up to 8".

Let me know if you would like to go ahead with these.

Kind regards

David

Hi Chris_ie,

The firehoods that we stock would be the Cambridge FH10 and FH20. As your speaker is 6.5" I would recommend the FH20 at £49.95 as the FH10 only suits for driver sizes up to 6". The FH20 does up to 8".

Kind regards

David
    What depth is the FH20 hood? I've seen the Hoody mentioned in alot of places, but this looks to be the same.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi Chris_ie,

Kind regards

David
    What depth is the FH20 hood? I've seen the Hoody mentioned in alot of places, but this looks to be the same.
    We don't have them in stock locally but we have lots in the main warehouse - there are also no dimensions available on the CA site so I'll order some in and we will check this out for you and revert asap,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Got the Denon all set up. Initial thoughts were dialogue sounded a lot clearer even out of the box. Calibrated using the Audyssey and the sound is fantastic! Great upgrade from the 607 :D Thanks guys!

Now I just need to decide where I'm putting these in ceiling speakers, cant decide! :mad:

• Advertisement

Got the Denon all set up. Initial thoughts were dialogue sounded a lot clearer even out of the box. Calibrated using the Audyssey and the sound is fantastic! Great upgrade from the 607 :D Thanks guys!

Now I just need to decide where I'm putting these in ceiling speakers, cant decide! :mad:
    Hi chris_ie,

Glad to hear you're happy with the upgrade! Let me know what you think of the Atmos sound when you get your in ceilings in!

Kind regards

David

Hi chris_ie,

Glad to hear you're happy with the upgrade! Let me know what you think of the Atmos sound when you get your in ceilings in!

Kind regards

David
    Cheers David, let me know when you get the firehoods in. I will probably get two off you, I cant imagine the depth being too large.

Hi chris_ie,

Kind regards

David
    Cheers David, let me know when you get the firehoods in. I will probably get two off you, I cant imagine the depth being too large.
    No problem, I'll keep you posted.

Contacted Cambridge Audio and they said the height is 11cm. With the CT165's being 114mm (install depth) is this too tight a fit?

Contacted Cambridge Audio and they said the height is 11cm. With the CT165's being 114mm (install depth) is this too tight a fit?
    Hi Chris_ie,

The width would be fine but it might be a tight fit with the height. Because I don;t have them in stock I can't test it with a CT165. I will have a look and see if I can find an alternative for you.

Kind regards

David

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Ta Da..
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-200798-hoody-1.aspx

Available from stock £55/ €69 ( Euro pricing includes delivery)
    Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Ta Da..

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Cheers John, wouldnt it be the Hoody 2 I'd need for the CT165? Whats the price for them?

Ta Da..

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Cheers John, wouldnt it be the Hoody 2 I'd need for the CT165? Whats the price for them?
    Hey Chris_ie.

The Hoody Hoody 2's are priced at £65.00 or 79.99 Euro.
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-200799-hoody-2.aspx?swapstore=1

Still thinking about the hoods. Nearly cost as much as a speaker! Just looking at other options at the minute but will keep you posted.

Installed the speakers to test them out. Had a bit of a hiccup at first. The sound wasn't that noticable after calibration. Had to bump the volume up and could sort of get the effect. Wasn't that noticable though. However, found out that the device I was playing the Atmos samples on had a separate setting that was overriding the audio passthrough as Atmos wasn't being displayed on the, so it was basically converting the audio then the amp upmixing it. Fixed that and retested using the samples. Sounds fantastic! Worth the upgrade. Got Batman vs Superman in town and have another few Atmos blurays on their way.

Thanks again for the recommendations and sorting it all, top class as usual :)

• Advertisement

Still thinking about the hoods. Nearly cost as much as a speaker! Just looking at other options at the minute but will keep you posted.

Installed the speakers to test them out. Had a bit of a hiccup at first. The sound wasn't that noticable after calibration. Had to bump the volume up and could sort of get the effect. Wasn't that noticable though. However, found out that the device I was playing the Atmos samples on had a separate setting that was overriding the audio passthrough as Atmos wasn't being displayed on the, so it was basically converting the audio then the amp upmixing it. Fixed that and retested using the samples. Sounds fantastic! Worth the upgrade. Got Batman vs Superman in town and have another few Atmos blurays on their way.

Thanks again for the recommendations and sorting it all, top class as usual :)
    Hey Chris_ie.

Excellent news that you are up and running and after some tweeking are impressed with the setup.

Let us know should you require the hoods.

Thanks again for the purchase :)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.