Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PAYE worker claiming back medical expenses

• 05-07-2017 11:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My wife works full-time for an Irish company and is registered through PAYE.

We are keen to claim the 20% back from the revenue for her medical expenses over the last 3 years.

What is the correct process for claiming this money back ? Does she need to register as a self-assessed individual in order to do this ?

Thanks for any info.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

grahamor wrote: »
    Hi,

My wife works full-time for an Irish company and is registered through PAYE.

We are keen to claim the 20% back from the revenue for her medical expenses over the last 3 years.

What is the correct process for claiming this money back ? Does she need to register as a self-assessed individual in order to do this ?

Thanks for any info.

No the easiest thing to do is go on to revenue.ie. click myAccount and register. Once registered she can claim online. She doesn't need to submit receipts but should hold on to them as revenue check some claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

You don't send receipts unless asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

Thanks everyone for the quick replies.

What about claiming the correct amount after your health insurance has reimbursed some of it ?

Would the health insurance company usually provide a summary of what was claimed in a particular year which would help you work out how much to claim from revenue ?

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Board.surf

If your fee was €100 and the insurance payed 50%, then you can only claim tax back on €50. The health insurance should have all of your claims listed on your online account or can send you it, if you ask over the phone. Keep in mind the insurance only covers some of your expenses, but you can also claim back on medical prescriptions etc. You need to be tracking it throughout the year and keeping receipts. Mark each receipt as you go I.e 50% reimbursed. Saves pain I. January of the next year when you file for the refund for the previous year.

Do everything online. It's much easier. (Formerly paye anytime. Now just go through my account on revenue.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

Thanks for the info.

Under what section is the area to claim medical expenses in My Account ? I see a PAYE services option but that seems to be more associated with claiming credits etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Board.surf

For this year? You'll have to wait until next year to claim MED expenses back. If for last year, then it should be under the 2016 year end process.

for 2016? PAYE services> review your tax 2013-2016 *choose your year*> Form 12 > amend or submit depending on your circumstances. While doing this, you can deal with your med expenses.

Advertisement