Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC wont turn on

Options
  • 05-07-2017 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭

Ok the problem is in the heading
    Have a windows Desktop PC I got from Ankerman a good few years ago. Working ok up until recently and running the latest windows. However its now not turning on. The blue light comes on so power getting to it but not kicking in. When it does kick it works for a bit and then freezes. Not PC literate so not sure what the issue is.
    I checked with Computer Doctor to see how much they charge to look at it but anywhere else on Dublin Northside who can look or is there anything I can check myself?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

disconnect keyboard mouse and other peripherals and see if it boots up.
    try it with ram taken out also.

...when you say it sometimes goes for a bit - does windows load or begin to

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

There's a common safety feature to not start booting if the CPU fan isn't responding. Try a quick look to see if the fan starts up when power is turned on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Cheers
     Not at home so cannot check to see if Fan is coming on but from memory don't think so. Also when I say it kicks in windows loads up  but then when I am working on it PC freezes and I have to reboot. Not sure how to remove the RAM?
    If the fan does come on what does that mean or what can I check ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Removing the RAM is fairly simple, there's be two tabs to clicks back at either end of the slot, and it just pulls out. Note that it's common for them to only go in one way, so check carefully when putting them back in, and don't use force.

The random freezing does sound more consistent with an overheating CPU due to a failed fan. RAM errors would show more as bluescreens normally. But neither symptom is guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Cheers
    Not at home so cannot check to see if Fan is coming on but from memory don't think so. Also when I say it kicks in windows loads up but then when I am working on it PC freezes and I have to reboot. Not sure how to remove the RAM?
    If the fan does come on what does that mean or what can I check ?

Forget the ram.

It sounds like your cpu might be overheating. Open the case and blow out any dust and dirt. Start the computer with the case open and see how to cpu fan is functioning. Your bios may be able to tell you something about temp as well. Or some utilities such as speedfan

If it transpires to be this you may have to replace the fan. Might be possible to clean it and put on new thermal paste.

• Advertisement
Advertisement