Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading alarm system.

Options
  • 05-07-2017 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I am looking to upgrade the old aritech alarm system in my house. I installed it about 20 years ago after I did a night course on alarm installation in fas. It has been working okay apart from changing the battery and a couple of shock sensors but now the keypad is gone dead. I asked in an electrical wholesaler but they said that it's at least 10 years since they had that model of alarm and to get a new one. They offered me a hkc alarm.

I'd like to be able to reuse the existing sensors and wiring as these were all working okay up until the keypad gave up a couple of months ago. I read a bit about the hkc and it says that I can get a phone app to monitor the alarm and be able to set and disarm it but from what I can see there is a monthly or yearly fee.

Is there another way to remotely control the hkc alarm and if not is there another similar alarm system that would connect to my existing setup that has a similar remote access app without a yearly charge?

I have a cctv system that I put in a few years ago and I can just use the app on my phone to connect to it directly so I thought there might be something similar for the alarm system.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Hi
    There are lots of systems that give you this functionality with out charges.
    Siemens Vanderbilt SPC4320 or GSD i1070 would give you a pretty easy retro fit allowing you to keep your existing sensors etc.
    The free options work over your local internet only so are reliant on the connection being up. Some paid for options will give you a back up via GSM.
    GSD offer both. Siemens/Vanderbilt also allows you to use your own data sim for this purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

Yeah the aritech systems are gone. HKC have an app for their system. You can use wifi or gsm or both. You'll get SMS over either wifi card or gsm as well as voice push notifications.

The HKC 10/70 would suit your perfectly. HKC became the norm after aritech. Incredibly reliable and easy to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭tapfit2004

KoolKid wrote: »
    Hi
    There are lots of systems that give you this functionality with out charges.
    Siemens Vanderbilt SPC4320 or GSD i1070 would give you a pretty easy retro fit allowing you to keep your existing sensors etc.
    The free options work over your local internet only so are reliant on the connection being up. Some paid for options will give you a back up via GSM.
    GSD offer both. Siemens/Vanderbilt also allows you to use your own data sim for this purpose.

Siemens are a well known brand for years so I'll have a look at their stuff. I've never heard of gsd.

Do many wholesalers have either of these in stock or would you have to order them?

The only other thing that I was thinking about, after I put up the first post, was if there was an option to just monitor the hkc alarm through the phone line, ie it rings you directly when it goes off without paying for the monitoring.

I remember that it could be done on the aritech years ago but I never got the part that let it ring out. The only reason I ask is that I read a few other threads on here hkc gets recommended a lot as being very reliable.

I probably wouldn't really use the app much to set or unset the alarm. The real thing I want is to know that it is going off as I can look at the cameras if I want to see what's happening then.

Thanks for the earlier replies.

Yes you can use a voice dialler on a phone line .

You can also use a GSM -Q ( top up yourself)

Or use a GSM SC and have the app as well

Have a look at Pyronix . Hikvision bought them

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Secure Solutions

PSTN Dialer is a good option if you have a phone line, giving voice notification. This is available on most panels.
    We fit Siemens, GSD and HKC, three good solutions.
    You advised you have CCTV installed, GSD have integrated CCTV into there App, gives video verification of the alarm event. If you have a HikVision platform you can have your alarm and CCTV running on the GSD App.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

tapfit2004 wrote: »
    Siemens are a well known brand for years so I'll have a look at their stuff. I've never heard of gsd.

Do many wholesalers have either of these in stock or would you have to order them?

The only other thing that I was thinking about, after I put up the first post, was if there was an option to just monitor the hkc alarm through the phone line, ie it rings you directly when it goes off without paying for the monitoring.

I remember that it could be done on the aritech years ago but I never got the part that let it ring out. The only reason I ask is that I read a few other threads on here hkc gets recommended a lot as being very reliable.

I probably wouldn't really use the app much to set or unset the alarm. The real thing I want is to know that it is going off as I can look at the cameras if I want to see what's happening then.

Thanks for the earlier replies.

You could also fit a GSM to the Vanderbuilt or HKC system for self monitoring through text also.
    GSD does not have this function.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

GSD are testing text functions via the app. You can also add a text dialler for alarm & other even notifications.

GSD are testing text functions via the app. You can also add a text dialler for alarm & other even notifications.

I wasn't talking about the app.

Has GSD developed a GSM you can use your own sim with that texts now?

They have a GSM that texts yes.
    Also for the benefit of others here there are numerous other generic text diallers that will work with any panel.

They have a GSM that texts yes.

Have you got a link to this and its functions with relation to the GSD panel?

• Advertisement

I have some data sheets & manuals. There might be issues sharing them here so probably best if you contact GSD I'm sure they will give you all the information you need.

I have some data sheets & manuals. There might be issues sharing them here so probably best if you contact GSD I'm sure they will give you all the information you need.

I will do that tomorrow

Same can be said for you regarding HKC :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Ok guys as discussed we've cleared up the copyright issue so let's move on no need to revisit it

Thanks for all the replies, I'm going to go with the hkc panel with the dialer.

It looks straight forward enough and very similar to the old aritec I have.

:D

Thanks for the update.
    Are you just going with a dialler that will ring or text or are you goinf for the app also?

I'm just going to go with the dialer that will ring out. I don't think I'd use the app much if at all and just knowing if the alarm is going off I will be able to have a look at the cameras on my phone so I'll keep it simple.

Thanks again.

No problem. Thanks again for updating us.

tapfit2004 wrote: »
    I'm just going to go with the dialer that will ring out. I don't think I'd use the app much if at all and just knowing if the alarm is going off I will be able to have a look at the cameras on my phone so I'll keep it simple.

Thanks again.

You can always upgrade at a later date to another path if you wish.

Advertisement