Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I hear there are plans to bring back the bedsit

Options
  • 05-07-2017 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

So they force a sh1t load of landlords.to either exit the market or turn bedsits into bigger luxury units.
    Now they say they are bringing back the bedsit.
    Why on earth would anyone convert back to bedsits now. Nobody will buy them either so nobody will build them.

Nobody can stomach the risk if buying or converting to a bedsit that will be deemed illegal with the next random law change to crawl out of the government's arse in the name of market interference.

Not a chance of bedsits coming back. Nobody to invest in them. Too risky.

There, I said it :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I haven't heard this.
    Infact, the recent regulations for rented accommodation which came into law on the 1st July would appear to outlaw bedsits.

Where did you hear this runour?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Hotel bills must be ramping up

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

kceire wrote: »
    I haven't heard this.
    Infact, the recent regulations for rented accommodation which came into law on the 1st July would appear to outlaw bedsits.

Where did you hear this runour?

Some junior minister suggested it yesterday it was on the last word

Whatever about open plan studio living, we should move away from bedsits.
    I've seen them, I've inspected them, I've raided them alongside Dublin fire brigade and 90% of them are inhabitable. I hate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

currently people who would settle for a bedsit, are competing with everyone else in the rental market for a 1 bed apt.

this competition for rental property drives up the prices for everyone.

it makes complete sense to allow landlords who have a bedsit rent them out. the increased supply at the lower end of the market will ease congestion in the market. its a sensible measure.

a sh1t landlord is a sh1t landlord. It wont change that ; but more choice and a lower starting point in the rental market should help a little.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Agree no-one in their right mind would invest in them.

But I do think there is a place for low-cost accommodation. So many people are forced into living in cars, or on people's couches from a lack of affordable housing.

I lived in a studio apartment in NYC for a year, it was the business. Great location, decent price, suited me perfectly. Couldn't possibly even get planning to build one here, as there needs to be a lobby / corridor in every unit now. Such a waste of space!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭pawrick

I've seen some dire bedsits in Cork and Dublin over the years and they really seem to attract dodgy landlords here who like to cram buildings and not bother with maintenance. I wouldn't class a studio apartment and bedsit in the Irish sense the same although there is a need for cheap accommodation so it will depend on whats allowed and the rules being enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I think my place isn't far off a bedsit - now the kitchen/bathroom is separate but we were in a hotel room in Prague recently and we realised that it was about twice the size of our place.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I've seen them, I've inspected them, I've raided them alongside Dublin fire brigade and 90% of them are inhabitable. I hate them.

90% of the ones you inspected were uninhabitable. It doesn't mean they have to be like that though, or that 90% of them are.

The ones I've seen in Galway (only a few), the problem wasn't the bedsit itself or the shared bathroom - it was the staircase and hallways. If there's ever a fire there at night, people will probably die. They could be fixed (if the heritage officer agrees!).

pwurple wrote: »
    Agree no-one in their right mind would invest in them.

Not bedsits as such but I know of a few recently renovated houses that have been done up to be solely geared at renting rooms separately. 7 bedrooms (with some ensuite), rooms numbered and proper front door locks on them but massive shared kitchen and living room. Each bedroom having its own prepay meter also so you pay for the esb you use in your room but common areas is included in the rent. LL enters twice a week and cleans all common areas.

I wouldn't be surprised if theses sorts of places were made into bedsits rather than be designed for housesharing were it allowed.

I think its a bit mad that there is a blanket ban on them, done properly they could be a viable alternative to housesharing for those past that stage if life as well as being an option for people unable to afford apartments etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

Not bedsits as such but I know of a few recently renovated houses that have been done up to be solely geared at renting rooms separately. 7 bedrooms (with some ensuite), rooms numbered and proper front door locks on them but massive shared kitchen and living room. Each bedroom having its own prepay meter also so you pay for the esb you use in your room but common areas is included in the rent. LL enters twice a week and cleans all common areas.

I wouldn't be surprised if theses sorts of places were made into bedsits rather than be designed for housesharing were it allowed.

I think its a bit mad that there is a blanket ban on them, done properly they could be a viable alternative to housesharing for those past that stage if life as well as being an option for people unable to afford apartments etc.

The problem is that you spend money to convert them and then the next brain far t by a government outlaws them again because you were evil.
    Not worth the risk. Too likely given current form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭karenalot

pwurple wrote: »
    But I do think there is a place for low-cost accommodation.

I lived in a studio apartment in NYC for a year, it was the business. Great location, decent price, suited me perfectly. Couldn't possibly even get planning to build one here, as there needs to be a lobby / corridor in every unit now. Such a waste of space!

I've lived in studios in London and Sydney too and loved them too. Average square footage was around 250-300ft but because they were purpose built and not hacked out of old buildings they were modern and the layouts were cleverly designed which made them very liveable. Not something I would choose to spend years in but great for transient people, ones who don't have a lot of belongings or ones who simply just cant stand the thoughts of house sharing for ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

I agree. I think most bedsits are horrific. However, the state should not have banned them without increasing the supply of housing for low income individuals. It was ridiculous and shows more poor planning by the state. I don't know thought in the middle of a housing shortage, reducing housing units further in the city was the best option.

IMO it is super hypocritical for DCC be housing families in hotels with a lack of cooking facilities etc. But if a landlord puts tenants in a hotel like arrangement ie room with no cooking facilities, he gets a slap on the wrist. Why is there a double standard?

Whether or not we like bedsits, there needs to be affordable housing for low income individuals. It would be lovely, if everyone loved in nice 60sq m one bedroom apartments. But they will be completely unaffordable for people with limited incomes. It appears that the state does not realise that or care about that.

IMO bedsits are finished for the simple reason, a lot of the landlords are not far from kicking the bucket and most banks will no longer give mortgages on these multiunit properties

IMO it is super hypocritical for DCC be housing families in hotels with a lack of cooking facilities etc. But if a landlord puts tenants in a hotel like arrangement ie room with no cooking facilities, he gets a slap on the wrist. Why is there a double standard?

At the very least, the hotel will have sufficient fire safety procedure son place. Both active and passive fire protection.

Advertisement