Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing a Foundation - What a minefield!

Options
  • 05-07-2017 1:44pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

After having a couple of years battling with my skin, I'm ready to look for new skincare / make up.

Here's my dilemma, I have absolutely no clue where to start looking, the range out there is overwhelming :eek:

Where do I start? I'm in my 40's with sensitive skin, and want a more natural look - like a better version of me if that makes sense?

Is it better to spend more money on products or not? Some brands to stay away from? Anything that will help me narrow down the search!

Any advise more than welcome please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭nearzero

The best thing is to test, test & test & get samples!

So if you start with all the brands that have counters - like Estee Lauder, Clairns, Lancome etc & ask for their advice but make sure you ask them all for samples & dont buy anything straight away. Those counters are set up for giving samples - if you are going to spend €40 on a foundation, you want to make sure its the right one & the right colour. Personally, I've found if you pay a little more, you do get more for your money.

It always looks different when you take it home & use it yourself! And then you can try it for a full day with your own moisturiser etc.

Its so hard cause everyone's skin is different - I love Double Wear from Estee Lauder, great coverage & doesnt dry out my skin.

Clairns might be good cause you have sensitive skin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

100% agree with color_girl.
    I highly recommend you get some samples. They're free!

When I was on the hunt for a new foundation a few years ago, I also had no idea where to start.
    (My issue was trying to find a shade that suited me as the majority of the high-street brands were way too orange).

So I got chatting to an Estee Lauder consultant in Boots and not only did she tell me my shade, she gave me a free 10-day sample.
    I wasn't expecting her to give something for nothing but she said "The full bottle is dear enough so you should try it at home before you buy", which was very true.

It was so handy having the sample because I could use it, decide if it was right and then buy the full size one.
    To cut a long story short, tell the consultant what you're looking for in a foundation and she should give you some samples to take home.

Off the top of my head I think there's a new Estee Lauder DoubleWear on the market; a lighter formula for fresh dewy looking skin.
    I think it's called WaterFresh, which might suit you better.

DoubleWear is a full coverage foundation and I adore it but I know women in their 40s and onwards tend to find it a little cakey.

Whatever you choose, make sure you moisturise your face a few minutes before applying the foundation and you'll see a world of difference.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

That's brilliant advice, thank you both so much, I'll head off to BT's and hopefully get loads of samples

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I've struggled with foundation for years but I'm a huge Kevyn Aucoin sensual fluid fan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Giorgio Armani Luminous silk is great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 PinkSpark

I think a lighter foundation would suit what you're looking for. Maybe the likes of ester lauder double wear light. Mac face and body is gorgeous and natural looking too, the trick is to pump it out and leave it for a a few minutes - it thickens and gives more coverage/is easier to blend that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

Giorgio Armani Luminous silk is great

Armani Power Fabric is even better. Got it recently in Dublin Airport €33.50 (€48 in BTs)

Advertisement