Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relocating to Bahrain (as an Engineer)

• 05-07-2017 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if I could call on the experiences of those who have spent time living in Bahrain.
    I graduated as an electrical engineer last year (2016) and am currently doing a graduate programme with a major utility company. I am 37, married with one kid (and another on the way). Both myself and my wife feel there is definitely an adventure in us and we want to relocate (to somewhere warm), so we can have an outdoorsy lifestyle with our kids but also be in a country where we can save tax free salaries and eventually move home (with no definite timescale) having little or no mortgage from our savings.

Can someone tell me, is this a pipe dream or can it really be done? Bearing in mind, we will have kids that require crèche/school. We would hope that both me and my wife would both be working (I'll be an electrical engineer having completed 3 years of a graduate programme, she's a successful events and PR planner)

Thanks

Jonno

Comments

The wages might not be quite what you think to be honest. A buddy did 3 years in an oil project in Oman North (not Bahrain of course).

Prohibitively warm for an out doorsy life 6 + months of the year.

I considered it myself about 10 years ago but the numbers didn't really make sense and my only motivation was financial.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Jonno80

Thanks Augeo. Yes same, our main motive would be financial also. We just want to work and save in a country that will also give us a good standard of living (not extravagant) at the same time. We really want out of Ireland while house prices continue to escalate

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭St1mpMeister

Yeah I went to school there for 4 years. Shoot me any questions you like and I'll try to remember what it was like (in the 90s) ;)

Great country, although a bit of tension with the ruling family and the Shia communities which occasionally is a concern. But it's very safe.

Small though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Lived there for many years and brought up 2 kids there. Great place. Very social and a good standard of living. However you need to check your job offer carefully. Does it include housing, school fees, flights home once a year etc.

Your wife needs a work permit also to work there which are hard to come by for spouses. Some places do hire without temperature but not many as they can be severely fined.

Advertisement