Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best value mod

Options
  • 05-07-2017 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

As the title says, what is the best value for money on the market? I need to replace my old T8, well tbh I probably needed to change it 2yrs ago :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

If price is your only concern, I'd say a second hand but nearly new T8 mod coming up for sale on here would be your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

If its purely based on cost then I'm with Vegeta, go for a second hand one.
    I'd add into the equation - go for one that can be stripped down - ease of maintenance and the possibility of changing out parts for various calibre or muzzle threads.
    The only real advantage I see from one make to another, not including costs, is the weight factor. I've been lugging a wildcat predator 8 about for the last 3 or more years, excellent sound reduction but a b@stard to carry by way of weight and balance. It will be confined to the roll of high seat and blind shooting this season with the lighter unmoderated set up being favoured for the hill and long days in the wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Kiltris

Maybe I should have asked that question differently :o

Money isn't the only factor, obviously I don't want to spend more money than I have to but I don't want to buy anything that remotely looks like that brick of a T8.

I'm after something with better sound reduction, lighter than the T8 and as suggested by cookimonster, a mod that can be dismantled and cleaned.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

Second hand Husken or T8 keep an eye out on the for sale sections on facebook and here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

As i have no way to accurately measure or show this i can only give an opinion.

Suppressors work by allowing the gases to expand into the baffles. The more baffles, usually the better the mod's ability to suppress the shot. Also the larger the suppressor the more the gases can expand and usually the greater the reduction of the heard report.

So if you go for a suppressor with a thin body it might be light and fits nicely over the barrel, but will it give the same sound reduction as a larger, less aesthetically pleasing, suppressor.

Here are a few mods and average prices. They do depend on where you buy them obviously.
    • Ase Utra S5/Jet-Z = €370
    • T8 = €265
    • Wildcat = €295
    • ATec = €300
    • Hausken = €300
    • T4 = €250
    • Roedale = €330

I have had most of them. I've given some observations based on usage and the rifles they were used on below.

An Ase Utra S5 on a .308 & .243
    • Great mod, great results with little to no difference in POI out to 300yds with it on or off.
    • Easy enough to clean.
    • Best sound reduction.
    • Heavy on the end of the barrel.
    • More expensive than most other mods.
    • Tough wearing and will last as long as the owner if treated right.
    T8 on 30-06 and .243
    • Good on the .243 and 30-06, but difference in POI with mod on was 7" at 200yds.
    • Prone to rusting.
    • No more difficult to clean than an Ase, etc.
    • Screws down over barrel so reducing excess weight on the end of the rifle.
    • Has a resonance when fired.
    • Cheapest of the current available stock of mods.
    • Lighter than the Ase.
    Wildcat on .223
    • Great mod, and very little in difference in POI with in on or off.
    • Lighter than the Ase and ( i think) the T8.
    • Screw down over the barrel for reduced weight.
    • Completely comes apart for easy cleaning.
    • Baffles can be changed allowing the mod to be used on a .223 up to .30cal wth new inners.
    • Polymer housing gives no resonance.
    • Cheaper than Ase, but a little more expensive than T8.
    A-Tec Maxim on .243
    • Lightweight
    • Good sound suppression
    • Reflex
    • Cheaper than most other makes at around €300
    • Comes apart for easy cleaning
    • Small change in POI with mod on to off.
    T4 on HMR and 223
    • Good sound suppression
    • Over barrel
    • Pretty much the cheapest
    • Lighter than some including the T8
    • Doesn't come apart
    • Causes shift in POI when on/off

Believe it or not, and excluding money, the best mod i've had was the T8. It simply worked best or at least it seemed to.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

Kiltris wrote: »
    I'm after something with better sound reduction, lighter than the T8 and as suggested by cookimonster, a mod that can be dismantled and cleaned.

If there's one area the T8 are great at then it is sound reduction. In my experience, having personally owned A-Tec, Hausken and T8 (.223 and .300 Win Mag) and seeing other brands, including the Wildcat mods, the T8 is hard to beat for sound reduction. The weight was useful on the .300 Win Mag too to further dampen recoil.

I'd recommend a Hausken, solid performance in the sound reduction department, light weight and strip-able (with a specific tool, 3d printed my own one of those)

I've no experience of the ASE though and they always get great reviews for sound reduction

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Vegeta wrote: »
    I'd recommend a Hausken, solid performance in the sound reduction department, light weight and strip-able (with a specific tool, 3d printed my own one of those)
    The thing about the tool bothers me. Reminds me of Audi cars. You get the four wheels, a steering wheel and then everything else you pay for.

No other manufacturer that i know of charges for things like this. Every other one seems to be able to be broken down with regular tools or by hand. Hausken though make you buy their tool and then charge 15%+ the price of the suppressor for the privilege.

So the €300-€330 suppressor is now €350 - €380.
    I've no experience of the ASE though and they always get great reviews for sound reduction
    The Ase are an excellent mod. Quiet, and very durable. They don't break down for easy cleaning, but can be cleaned with a little effort. They are on the heavy end of the scale, but not the heaviest. The other thing i'm not mad about is most are muzzle mounted so can offset the balance of a rifle.

The Northstar is the only suppressor Ase make that goes over the barrel.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    The thing about the tool bothers me. Reminds me of Audi cars. You get the four wheels, a steering wheel and then everything else you pay for.

No other manufacturer that i know of charges for things like this. Every other one seems to be able to be broken down with regular tools or by hand. Hausken though make you buy their tool and then charge 15%+ the price of the suppressor for the privilege.

So the €300-€330 suppressor is now €350 - €380.

Yeah it annoyed the crap out of me too. I had to have the Hausken mod I bought drilled out (quite a common thing I believe), it was too tight for calibre and causing an otherwise precise rifle to shoot erratically. After it was drilled out, the mod was full of swarf so I needed to strip it for a cleaning.

Luckily guys in work have 3d printers and I could ask them to make me something that allowed me to strip the mod, so it was free and I still have it. Not sure if that's a copyright infringement actually :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

The new predators are nearly half the weight of the old but are more expensive unfortunately. But otherwise tick all the box's.......

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Kiltris

Cass wrote: »
    As i have no way to accurately measure or show this i can only give an opinion.

Suppressors work by allowing the gases to expand into the baffles. The more baffles, usually the better the mod's ability to suppress the shot. Also the larger the suppressor the more the gases can expand and usually the greater the reduction of the heard report.

So if you go for a suppressor with a thin body it might be light and fits nicely over the barrel, but will it give the same sound reduction as a larger, less aesthetically pleasing, suppressor.

Here are a few mods and average prices. They do depend on where you buy them obviously.
    • Ase Utra S5/Jet-Z = €370
    • T8 = €265
    • Wildcat = €295
    • ATec = €300
    • Hausken = €300
    • T4 = €250
    • Roedale = €330

I have had most of them. I've given some observations based on usage and the rifles they were used on below.

An Ase Utra S5 on a .308 & .243
    • Great mod, great results with little to no difference in POI out to 300yds with it on or off.
    • Easy enough to clean.
    • Best sound reduction.
    • Heavy on the end of the barrel.
    • More expensive than most other mods.
    • Tough wearing and will last as long as the owner if treated right.
    T8 on 30-06 and .243
    • Good on the .243 and 30-06, but difference in POI with mod on was 7" at 200yds.
    • Prone to rusting.
    • No more difficult to clean than an Ase, etc.
    • Screws down over barrel so reducing excess weight on the end of the rifle.
    • Has a resonance when fired.
    • Cheapest of the current available stock of mods.
    • Lighter than the Ase.
    Wildcat on .223
    • Great mod, and very little in difference in POI with in on or off.
    • Lighter than the Ase and ( i think) the T8.
    • Screw down over the barrel for reduced weight.
    • Completely comes apart for easy cleaning.
    • Baffles can be changed allowing the mod to be used on a .223 up to .30cal wth new inners.
    • Polymer housing gives no resonance.
    • Cheaper than Ase, but a little more expensive than T8.
    A-Tec Maxim on .243
    • Lightweight
    • Good sound suppression
    • Reflex
    • Cheaper than most other makes at around €300
    • Comes apart for easy cleaning
    • Small change in POI with mod on to off.
    T4 on HMR and 223
    • Good sound suppression
    • Over barrel
    • Pretty much the cheapest
    • Lighter than some including the T8
    • Doesn't come apart
    • Causes shift in POI when on/off

Believe it or not, and excluding money, the best mod i've had was the T8. It simply worked best or at least it seemed to.

Thanks for all the info, it's brilliant to be able to get such feed back from others that have had previous experience. I bought the ATEC Maxim last night, (€280) it's going on my .243. Like a kid this morning I couldn't wait so I got up early to fire off a few rounds.

The gun feels more balanced & the sound reduction is way better. Now admittedly the old T8 has a serious amount of rounds put through it & I have it so long I don't remember what it was like when I first got it! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement