Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Multi Purpose Build

Options
  • 05-07-2017 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

So i'm not exactly new to PC building juts a little out of the loop, for example the last time I was anyway active the Intel i5 3570K had just come out, i don't really have the time to catch up on 2-3 years of updates in hardware etc at this time, i've been a peripheral viewer the last few years.

I am looking to get into a bit of crypto mining, looking at those aimed at mass storage like burst ect.. i am looking to get some sort of sample build and compare it to a few pre builds I was looking at before i make a decision.

I have a bit of hardware at my disposal mainly storage but I want a complete build then I can substitute out anything that is comparable to drop the price further.

I am going for value for money really and don't need any bells and whistles, Just need basic machine that has good airflow with a good amount of drive space that I would imagine be focused on CPU power over anything else. It's going to be hidden so i don't mind a hideous case.

I have filled out the form below to help, thanks in advance :)

1. What is your budget? [€350 pushed up to €500 if it's going to dramatically improve ] as little as possible really i.e "best bang for the buck" so to speak

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer(s)? General use, I am looking to use it for primarily crypto mining and as a media center. might play a few games down the line but no need to include a dedicated GPU at this time,

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? We'll say no but i have a few spare parts lying around from old builds, i'd prefer a full build and i can substitute if need be then.

5. Do you need a monitor? [No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [N/A]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [1080p]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [N/A]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes]

8. How can you pay? [Debit/Credit Card]

9. When are you purchasing? [Just looking at the moment but soon enough if its feasible]

10. If you need help building it. [I'll be building them]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

You really are out of the loop, no one mines with CPUs anymore, it's all about GPUs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I also could well be wrong on this, but believe you'd need a GTX 1060 6GB for mining (since RX 480/580s are all gone), the cheapest of which I've seen is something like £285 on Novetech, so around £320.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    You really are out of the loop, no one mines with CPUs anymore, it's all about GPUs!

I am looking at mining something like burst coin which uses Storage space rather than CPU or GPU processing, you only really intensely use a CPU/GPU when you are initially plotting the drives, after that the CPU/GPU usage is not massive and resembles general use,

A lower CPU/GPU only really effects set up time rather than actual mining once you get set up.
    Billy86 wrote: »
    I also could well be wrong on this, but believe you'd need a GTX 1060 6GB for mining (since RX 480/580s are all gone), the cheapest of which I've seen is something like £285 on Novetech, so around £320.

I can't justify spending 300-400 on a GPU that will not have much use once the initially plotting is completed, I could then mine other things but it's not in my budget at the moment, this is something I can add in the future if i decide to mine others

Advertisement