Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help identifying this plant please?

Options
  • 05-07-2017 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭

Hello,

So, a couple of pics attached. I didn't plant this. It came up on it's own.

Last year, there was just one little stem, and 2 of the pink flowers. This year, you can see it's gone mad!!! ALL of this is coming off secondary stems, all joined to the main stem. Also, very odd that one of the new stems has the purple, rather than the pink flowers?

Flower are very hibiscus like I think, but soil is very acidic (this has turned up in front of rhododendron bushes)which I didn't think hibiscus liked?

Has anyone any idea's? I think it's quite pretty, and the fact it grows up here in the hills, makes me want to try and get another.

1st pic is of whole thing
    2nd pic is the purply blue stem of flowers
    3rd pic is of the original stem - now woody looking, and hopefully you can see the new stems are very green.

As every, I appreciate the help

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Delphinium

It's a mallow. Probably Malvs sylvestris. Hardy and self seeding. Often short lived but will replace itself by self seeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

I was hoping you were about - thank you!!!

I've followed the stems, and they do all seem to be connected to the main stem - is it usual to have the different colours off one plant?

(Off to google now, thanks again!)

Just thinking - this is at the bottom of a HUGE eucalyptus tree. First time last year rooks decided to make themselves a rookery in it, so I'm guessing the rooks must have dropped the seed.

Malva sylvestris primley blue is probably what you have. It produces pale violet blue flowers so perhaps some have faded. Don't know if it is unusual to have two colours... you might have a new plant and make a fortune!????

Hahah - I won't hold my breath. Thanks again. I'll be looking out for the seeds and throwing them about all over the place now. It really is lovely. Not seen it about anywhere's else around here so I'm quite chuffed!!

The pink malva moschata is so much more common. Guess the crows are the reason it's there. Would love your acid soil. Have very alkaline on a shallow depth over limestone. Great for brassica but no camellias etc. Not sorry I can't grow rhododendrons though!

• Advertisement

I hear you re the rhododendrons. We only have the one, it's grown right up the eucalyptus tree and looks really lovely, but it's kept under tight control. I got a few new camellias this year - pink ones as the ones we have are white - and magnolia - they do well too. And lots and lots of hydrangea. I've branched out this year (sorry) and got some white pyramid flowered and lace cap ones to try.

And just because someone actual appears to be listening to me regarding garden talk (I hope you don't mind) we have a 20 year old false acacia/black locust tree and for the first time ever, it is absolutely covered in lovely white flowers!!! I'm so pleased!!!

Now I'm jealous. Magnolia is my favourite spring tree. And well done on the black locust. It must be magnificent.

Advertisement