Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camper van insurance claim

Options
  • 05-07-2017 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,

Hope you can help... my dad was driving my camper the other day and had an accident the other party has been quoted €2,400 for repairs.
    My question is this my dad is a named driver on my insurance policy what I'm wondering is if I claim does it affect my no claims on my private motor policy?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭mrs.doubt.fire

Check your insurance policy (read the fine print), my policy is an open policy and all drivers (including myself) must be age between 25 yrs and 70 yrs old provided everyone who drives it has a full car licence and no points. Where as a car would allow up to 71 yrs but a camper van is 70 yrs. So it would depend on your father's age when he drove it.
    I'm assuming you have a 3 ton camper = car drivers licence, where as anything over 3 tons you need a lorry/truck licence to drive it.

As for affecting your no claims policy, yes I'd say it would affect it if you made a claim (if your dad was in the wrong and caused the damage), but it's best to ask your insurance company to get a more accurate answer. If your dad is not the cause of the accident then you have nothing to worry about.

You mention the other party got you a quote, I assume that's for the damage caused to their vehicle. FYI..they have to get you at least 2 quotes, not just one...and your insurance company will go with the cheaper quote.

Let me know how you get on, best of luck.

Advertisement