Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum wage job overly demanding

Options
  • 05-07-2017 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Is it the norm for minimum wage jobs to be demanding? I'm being paid the bare legal minimum yet I have high targets to meet and strict standards to uphold. I'm not workshy by any means but in the past I have been paid more for even less skilled work in a job which was far less demanding. The is the least I've ever been paid and the hardest I've ever had to work and yet they're still not happy.

I feel like the company is absolutely riding me and my coworkers whom it has to be said are earning twice or three times what they'd be getting in their home countries so they won't complain.

Anyone else have experiences like this?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Of course they will ride you hard as they expect minimally previous experience required (i.e. they will make sure you get the job done by holding you to high standards). If anything the standards get much fluffier and vague as you get higher paid work because you're expected to be able to translate it to the daily deliverables.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 RandyFranklin

I was also getting minimum wage after doing a lot of hard work in my previous company. I also asked to them to increase my wage but they simply neglected. But I changed the company to show them that I can earn according to my hard work and smart work.

Cheers,
    Randy

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Minimum wage jobs tend to ride people hard for two reasons;

1. They can get away with it because the workers need their job and aren't willing to push back
    2. Pay peanuts, get monkeys. Poor pay leads to people taking the piss, so rather than improving conditions, the employer micromanages.

What kind of work is it, as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 RandyFranklin

seamus wrote: »
    Minimum wage jobs tend to ride people hard for two reasons;

1. They can get away with it because the workers need their job and aren't willing to push back
    2. Pay peanuts, get monkeys. Poor pay leads to people taking the piss, so rather than improving conditions, the employer micromanages.

What kind of work is it, as a matter of interest?

I agree with your reasons seamus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

This is how it generally works, the less you are paid the more you work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

This is exactly how it works, low paid = low skills, those type of jobs will push their employees to the brink and if an employee leaves they just get another one. I've seen 16yr old waitress that do more hard work in one day than most of us do in a week.

In a high skilled area, they are paying for your knowledge and experience, although these jobs can still be demanding, you are respected and treated accordingly, the company knows its harder to get more skilled staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Pelvis wrote: »
    This is how it generally works, the less you are paid the more you work.

You don't pay the plumber to bang on the pipes.
    You pay him to know where to bang.

Intensity of work is not the only factor when it comes to someones usefulness to a company.

Advertisement