Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a house

Options
  • 05-07-2017 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

My partner and I are looking into renting a house we have a landlord reference and both have work references. A lot of the prices per month seem very expensive and we are wondering if you can negotiate with the landlord and how to do it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Where are you looking at renting? These days I reckon it's impossible to negotiate rent. Lots of demand for rental properties in most towns and cities in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ryanhennessy

Looking to rent in Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

Negotiate for price?
    I would doubt it, as doing so would usually mean the landlord is locked into a rate from which they cannot increase from easily or legally.
    Thank your Govt and representatives for knee jerk reactions to the failures which they had previously compounded. I used to think it was indifference and incompetence, but I'm inclined to think its that and also by design.

Irish politics and politicians, where supposed leaders and those in positions of power and authority want the power, authority and pay that goes with it, but have none of the ability and want none of the responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bushmanpm

It would depend in how many other viewers the landlord had for that property and what the demand in the area is like.
    Once the LL has done all the viewings, asking for a discount would place you just above anyone with HAP or equivalent but definitely at the bottom of the list of everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ryanhennessy

We are viewing a property that's been on the market for quite a while I wonder if it's worth chancing my arm and asking ?

• Advertisement

No harm, or maybe they aren't willing to be undercut, it may be less worthwhile than spending more time getting someone in who is willing and able to pay what they want/need. A person who goes in trying to undercut a price too much can seem like they can afford to pay but wont and so may be likely to be difficult about paying anyway or difficult if there are legitimate increases or difficult generally OR like they cant afford to pay and will always be a difficulty getting the bare minimum off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

1874 wrote: »
    Negotiate for price?
    I would doubt it, as doing so would usually mean the landlord is locked into a rate from which they cannot increase from easily or legally.
    Thank your Govt and representatives for knee jerk reactions to the failures which they had previously compounded. I used to think it was indifference and incompetence, but I'm inclined to think its that and also by design.

Irish politics and politicians, where supposed leaders and those in positions of power and authority want the power, authority and pay that goes with it, but have none of the ability and want none of the responsibility.

https://www.rtb.ie/rent-pressure-zones/rent-pressure-zones

While I agree with your sentiment the most recent issue and the one that's the biggest issue is RPZ which doesn't apply to Wexford. No harm in asking OP, just bear in mind the Irish hate negotiating and you may get branded a 'lowballer' with that LL - not really an issue though.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AvonEnniskerry

Personally I'd take the property at the asking price and when you're there a year and need to renew your lease then I'd ask at that point

Personally I'd take the property at the asking price and when you're there a year and need to renew your lease then I'd ask at that point

There would be no obligation to entertain suggestions of reductions at that point by the landlord either, and I think it would make the then tenant look worse.
    I think there is no harm in asking but, it may as well be now as a year later, dont hold out much expectation or push too hard as it may make it appear as if you cannot actually afford the asked rent, so will be difficult later. If you push them, then this could be a portent of difficulty, depends on the price really/the place.

As for not being in an RPZ now, who knows what arbitrary changes to laws will be amended or brought in. A landlord can no longer rely on making an agreement with someone, any rules could be brought in, if they allow a reduction at the start they may never be able to return to actual rates. The last set of regulations ensured that would be a very foolish move and essentially wiped that possibility out.

Outside the RPZs the LL is not allowed to review the rent for two years so doing the above would be asking him to break tenancy law.

Also rents are rising so in a year if the rent could be reviewed it's almost certainly up it would be going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AvonEnniskerry

Outside the RPZs the LL is not allowed to review the rent for two years so doing the above would be asking him to break tenancy law.

That's true actually. I've been renting my current place pre those rules and during the down turns so it's obviously outdated.

The reason I said this though is you've shown you're a good tenant, your stuff is already there so there's hassle in changing tenancy. If they see you as a good tenant many would happily take a slight reduction for an easy life. But as above pointed out that is longer technically possible.

Advertisement