Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tailgating and Undertaking on Motorways

1161718192022»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Again a UK link (I know I know) but at least it shows they are serious with dealing with poor lane discipline and careless driving.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/86203/police-stop-over-5000-drivers-lane-hogging-and-tailgating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Again a UK link (I know I know) but at least it shows they are serious with dealing with poor lane discipline and careless driving.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/86203/police-stop-over-5000-drivers-lane-hogging-and-tailgating

Good for them. If our Traffic corps took the same approach, there would be no need to undertake.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

pablo128 wrote: »
    Good for them. If our Traffic corps took the same approach, there would be no need to undertake.

Ah the old "lane hogger forced me to do it" nugget :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Ah the old "lane hogger forced me to do it" nugget :D

That being the point. Lane hoggers preventing motorways from being used properly create dangerous situations and leave others with difficult choices.

Blame the culprit, not the victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Sean Kinvarra

magentis wrote: »
    What Do the Words Must and should in the UK Highway Code Mean?
    UK Highway Code Wording is explained in the introduction of Highway Code. Still, test takers often have a vague idea about what the words in the official UK Highway Code actually mean.

Understand that some words are more important than others. Pay special attention to rules where the word mustmust and must not are more likely to show up on your UK driving theory test.

It amazes me the amount of people that don't have an idea what the wordings mean. Do Not does NOT mean Must Not.

Seriously.

Please DO NOT and you MUST NOT try and apply the "highway code"in IRELAND as it means NOTHING here.
    You are spot on there. Those words mean nothing here yet are clearly explained in the Introduction to Rules of the Road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

First Up wrote: »
    That being the point. Lane hoggers preventing motorways from being used properly create dangerous situations and leave others with difficult choices.

The culprit being the one who passed on the left when it was not legal to do so?

I agree.

GreeBo wrote: »

The culprit being the one who passed on the left when it was not legal to do so?

I agree.
    Agree with yourself all you want. The culprit is the person who causes the problem. Eliminating that sorts everything else. Or do you think papering over cracks is a good idea too?

Agree with yourself all you want. The culprit is the person who causes the problem. Eliminating that sorts everything else. Or do you think papering over cracks is a good idea too?
    Its not papering over cracks, its enforcement of the traffic laws, for both of the people who are breaching them in the example.

If you kill a burgler who is otherwise no thread to you what happens to you?
    You dont get a free hand to do what you want just because they broke the law first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭micks_address

Its not papering over cracks, its enforcement of the traffic laws, for both of the people who are breaching them in the example.

You dont get a free hand to do what you want just because they broke the law first.

I don't agree with lane hogging but is it lane hogging if you doing 105km on the m50 overtaking traffic and someone behind you is obviously charging up behind you at 120? Average speed cameras on the m50 like what's in the port tunnel would sort out a lot of this behaviour

I don't agree with lane hogging but is it lane hogging if you doing 105km on the m50 overtaking traffic and someone behind you is obviously charging up behind you at 120? Average speed cameras on the m50 like what's in the port tunnel would sort out a lot of this behaviour

Its not lane hogging if you are overtaking someone.
    It is lane hogging if you could safely pull in and let the other person overtake you, irrespective of what speed they are doing.

• Advertisement

I'm not advocating breaking the law.

I'm not advocating breaking the law.

You are advocating passing lane hoggers on the left.
    Thats against the Road Traffic Act.

You are advocating passing lane hoggers on the left.
    Thats against the Road Traffic Act.

Not always, as has been carefully (and repeatedly) explained to you.

Not always, as has been carefully (and repeatedly) explained to you.

Likewise.
    If you are passing a single or even a couple of cars you are breaking the law.
    None of the exceptions apply.

I'm not going to go over it again, but queuing and slow-moving traffic have been explained multiple times.

Likewise.
    If you are passing a single or even a couple of cars you are breaking the law.
    None of the exceptions apply.

I'm not going to go over it again, but queuing and slow-moving traffic have been explained multiple times.

That's not what I've been explaining. Maybe do an advanced driving course and you might understand.

That's not what I've been explaining. Maybe do an advanced driving course and you might understand.

Sure you haven't. I dont know how I took that from your post below.:rolleyes:

I'm still waiting on that link to show any advanced driving course which advocates breaking the law btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

I think three lane motorways like the M50 weren't really anticipated when the law was formulated. The interpretation of "slow moving traffic" as "stop/start" seems out of date as well. You can have three lanes moving reasonably smoothly on the M50, but for various reasons the speed in each lane goes up and down, with the result that (according to some people) all traffic in the left lane would be breaking the law, if they end up passing the traffic to their right, on occasion. This could easily be happening at >50km/h. It might be better to redefine the exception to the no undertaking rule in terms of congestion rather than speed.

Sure you haven't. I dont know how I took that from your post below.:rolleyes:

I'm still waiting on that link to show any advanced driving course which advocates breaking the law btw.

Advanced driving courses teach you assess situations, anticipate outcomes and take the quickest and safest action in the circumstances. Good drivers know to do this anyway but in your case, I recommend a beginners course.

plodder wrote: »
    I think three lane motorways like the M50 weren't really anticipated when the law was formulated. The interpretation of "slow moving traffic" as "stop/start" seems out of date as well. You can have three lanes moving reasonably smoothly on the M50, but for various reasons the speed in each lane goes up and down, with the result that (according to some people) all traffic in the left lane would be breaking the law, if they end up passing the traffic to their right, on occasion. This could easily be happening at >50km/h. It might be better to redefine the exception to the no undertaking rule in terms of congestion rather than speed.

Nobody (well not me anyway) is invoking the stop/start situation. On a busy (say M50 at rush hour) road, the overtake/undertake description doesn't apply. On a crowded motorway I am also happy for people to use the middle or even third lane to avoid tailbacks approaching exits. That is just common sense and road sense.

The undertake issue arises when someone is sitting in the middle lane at an unreasonably slow speed, preventing the road from being used in the intended way. This leads to traffic being backed up in Lanes 1 and 2, forcing more cars into Lane 3 than is safe, resulting in more lane changes than is wise and causing bad decisions or bad judgement resulting in accidents. In those circumstances, the option of continuing in the driving lane at a speed faster than the lane hogger is sometimes the right one.

In those circumstances, the option of continuing in the driving lane at a speed faster than the lane hogger is sometimes the right one.

But never the legal one.

• Advertisement

But never the legal one.

Please go to a driving school.

In those circumstances, the option of continuing in the driving lane at a speed faster than the lane hogger is sometimes the right one.

But never the legal one.
    You are saying it's illegal to undertake, then why isn't it illegal for bikers to lane filter?

But never the legal one.
    You are saying it's illegal to undertake, then why isn't it illegal for bikers to lane filter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Because filtering (is supposed to only) occur(s) in stopped, queued, or slow-moving traffic, which are allowable conditions for passing on the left.

plodder wrote: »
    Happens when bus lanes are not in use and you'll see buses and taxis passing slower moving traffic that stay in outside lane. Where are the Gardai if its illegal?

Because filtering (is supposed to only) occur(s) in stopped, queued, or slow-moving traffic, which are allowable conditions for passing on the left.
    RSA; Response on filtering in Ireland

I e-mailed the RSA last week to ask what was the official stance on filtering. This is the response.

Dear Mike,

Motorcycle Lane Filtering should only be carried out by trained and
    experienced motorcyclists and should never be attempted by novices or
    newcomers.

It requires intense concentration and awareness, high levels of
    observation, machine handling and anticipatory skills and should be done
    in a considerate manner.

While there is no legal definition of filtering in the Road Traffic Act,
    motorcycle riders may be prosecuted under the Road Traffic Act for:-
    Riding a motorcycle in a dangerous manner, riding without due care and
    attention to other road users, *breaking the speed limit while filtering*
    etc. It would be at the discretion of an Garda at the time, as to what
    section of the road traffic act, the rider may be prosecuted under.

Regards

Patricia McAloon
    Secretariat

Note it says a biker may be prosecuted "while breaking the speed limit while filtering". It says nothing about stopped traffic or slow moving traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

I e-mailed the RSA last week to ask what was the official stance on filtering. This is the response.

Dear Mike,

newcomers.

in a considerate manner.

Regards

Patricia McAloon
    Secretariat

Note it says a biker may be prosecuted "while breaking the speed limit while filtering". It says nothing about stopped traffic or slow moving traffic.

And further on in the discussion you googled it says

Re: RSA; Response on filtering in Ireland

Well, it's funny you say that.
    I asked that question as well.

This was the response.
    Motorcycles are not permitted by Law to use Bus Lanes during the hours
    of operation, stated on the information signs posted at the beginning of
    each bus lane. They may be used outside of the hours posted, however
    motorcyclist should be aware that they must remain within the speed
    limit at all times when using bus lanes.
    [/quote]

the only difference between us n cages is we can hop back into a line of traffic out of a buses way, if we somehow manage to ever get in its way in the first place, not likely. thats the only reason some gards might overlook but taking from that its fairly clear it's as illegal to do as any other road users bar buses and taxis

When bus lanes are not in operation, all traffic can use them. Doesn't mean that passing traffic on the left is suddenly legal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Dear Mike,

newcomers.

in a considerate manner.

Regards

Patricia McAloon
    Secretariat

Actually it says "....while breaking the speed limit while filtering etc", the part in bold is important - their list is not exhaustive.

Dear Mike,

newcomers.

in a considerate manner.

Regards

Patricia McAloon
    Secretariat

And further on in the discussion you googled it says

Re: RSA; Response on filtering in Ireland

Well, it's funny you say that.
    I asked that question as well.

This was the response.
    Motorcycles are not permitted by Law to use Bus Lanes during the hours
    of operation, stated on the information signs posted at the beginning of
    each bus lane. They may be used outside of the hours posted, however
    motorcyclist should be aware that they must remain within the speed
    limit at all times when using bus lanes.

the only difference between us n cages is we can hop back into a line of traffic out of a buses way, if we somehow manage to ever get in its way in the first place, not likely. thats the only reason some gards might overlook but taking from that its fairly clear it's as illegal to do as any other road users bar buses and taxis

When bus lanes are not in operation, all traffic can use them. Doesn't mean that passing traffic on the left is suddenly legal.[/quote]
    Buses overtake on left when lane not in use every day on every road in Dublin. Have you ever come across a bus being pulled in for this?

• Advertisement

Buses overtake on left when lane not in use every day on every road in Dublin. Have you ever come across a bus being pulled in for this?

Seriously, you haven't a clue mate.:confused:

When the bus lane is not in use for regular traffic...its...wait for it....not a regular traffic lane!

Hence, the bus is not overtaking illegally, its on an entirely separate carriageway.

• Subscribers Posts: 171 ✭✭Night Falls

When the bus lane is not in use for regular traffic...its...wait for it....not a regular traffic lane!

Hence, the bus is not overtaking illegally, its on an entirely separate carriageway.

To be fair I'm not sure that was what he was saying. When a bus lane is not in operation (i.e. it's a bus lane only between, say, 07:00 - 19:00 rather than a 24 hour bus lane) it is a regular lane of traffic and the usual rules around "undertaking" should apply. Whether those rules in practice are actually applied or not is a different question, but that could be argued of any number of different issues and still doesn't make it right.

Edit, this is assuming that traffic in the normal lane is free-flowing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Bus lanes are not separate carriageways, they are just seperate lanes.

Also to note is that the rules for overtaking do not depend on there being separate lanes or carriageways.

No its not a separate carriageway. When its not in use it becomes an extra lane for all traffic. You certainly don't drive if you think it's a seperate carraigeway.

No its not a separate carriageway. When its not in use it becomes an extra lane for all traffic. You certainly don't drive if you think it's a seperate carraigeway.

When its in use its effectively a separate carriage, regular traffic is not allowed to use it, hence buses etc are not overtaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

wow, are you still feeding him?

• Advertisement

When its in use its effectively a separate carriage, regular traffic is not allowed to use it, hence buses etc are not overtaking.
    I said "WHEN IT'S NOT IN USE" . Don't be trying to get out of this one. I suppose you'll say most of Thomas St is a triple carraigeway.

What about the Long Mile Rd, I suppose you'll tell us that's a quadruple carraigeway? Think your best before date has long gone!

Isambard wrote: »

Some people also feed pigeons! :o

Isambard wrote: »
    Yes, peanuts!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

No it isn't. It's just a lane I'm not permitted to use within it's allocated times.

• Advertisement

The simplest solution would be to use the same concept as the Americans do, I don't read regularly of mega crashes on their freeways, and they take the line of least resistance, pass on either side if there's a vehicle moving slowly. At least if it was official. people should be prepared for changes either side of them.
    +1
    Not just the US, same operates here in NZ on multi lane roads, though there is a general keep left rule as well.
    You don't have to go that far away. That rule applies to the whole of the UK. Also Poland. Hungary, Germany.

Listening to AA traffic reports in the past few days, I've noted a number of motorway accidents - all in the right lane. That ought to help people join the dots.

Listening to AA traffic reports in the past few days, I've noted a number of motorway accidents - all in the right lane. That ought to help people join the dots.
    Have to laugh at some of the commenters on here. They say its legal and safe to drive alongside a hogger on your right, But its illegal and dangerous to move a few mtrs ahead where the hogger wouldl have a clear view of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

There was a young fella driving a 2005 corolla on the m7 yesterday, driving in the overtaking lane and s few miles on he was in the driving lane doing 30kph while he was eating a sandwich :rolleyes:

Dakota Dan wrote: »

There was a young fella driving a 2005 corolla on the m7 yesterday, driving in the overtaking lane and s few miles on he was in the driving lane doing 30kph while he was eating a sandwich :rolleyes:
    The traffic must have been "very very slow moving"

The simplest solution would be to use the same concept as the Americans do, I don't read regularly of mega crashes on their freeways, and they take the line of least resistance, pass on either side if there's a vehicle moving slowly. At least if it was official. people should be prepared for changes either side of them.
    +1
    Not just the US, same operates here in NZ on multi lane roads, though there is a general keep left rule as well.
    You don't have to go that far away. That rule applies to the whole of the UK. Also Poland. Hungary, Germany.
    ...also Switzerland!

+1
    ...also Switzerland!

Advertisement