Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to stop naps?

Options
  • 05-07-2017 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

My little one is 2yrs 9 mths. He loves his nap and naps 1.5hrs in middle of the day. However, he's gone really bad for settling to sleep at bedtime. Used to be 7-7.30 bedtime. Now its 7.30 on average and while he loves going to bed, it could take him an hour to go to sleep. Usually he calls for me and this could go on for ages. He will give out then chat and sing then give out again. Is he just not tired enough? Yet, if he misses a nap eg we have plans, he really is a wasp from 6pm.

Shorten? Nap every 2nd day? Stop? I was kinda hoping he'd nap til after my second babe comes in Sept to give me a break but it's becoming a hassle giving an hour to bedtime each nite.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

We're having the same problems with our 2.5 year old. We can't win. If he doesn't nap he's waaaay overtired and a briar from 5 o clock and often wakes at a ludicrous hour the next morning. If he has a nap bedtime is a fiasco.

We were spoiled rotten with him for about a year from 1-2 but it's just got worse and worse the last 6 months as his development has gone in leaps and bounds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

We just roll with it, and let her go to bed later. She is 3 and a half, still takes the odd daytime nap. If she needs it, she needs it. I can't stop her anyway, she just lies down on the grass or on a step and falls alseep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Start the nap an hour earlier in the day. See how that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

pwurple wrote: »
    We just roll with it, and let her go to bed later. She is 3 and a half, still takes the odd daytime nap. If she needs it, she needs it. I can't stop her anyway, she just lies down on the grass or on a step and falls alseep.

That's so cute. I've only ever seen my chap sleep on the spot when unwell.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I wish I had kids that did that...
    We had the same problem recently OP-I had a thread here about it.Round the same age.I felt she just was not able to get through the afternoon with no nap though, she's bundle of energy and wears herself out....she was so tired coming back from the minders with a nap, I didn't think cutting it out totally would work.We cut it down to 1.5 hours at around 12:30(she's an early riser) and it's worked well.I do wake her after that long and she"s a bit spaced out for a while but she's then generally ready for bed round 7:30.She's just turned three now.I feel that very soon, she'll be napping every other day though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

shesty wrote: »
    I wish I had kids that did that...
    We had the same problem recently OP-I had a thread here about it.Round the same age.I felt she just was not able to get through the afternoon with no nap though, she's bundle of energy and wears herself out....she was so tired coming back from the minders with a nap, I didn't think cutting it out totally would work.We cut it down to 1.5 hours at around 12:30(she's an early riser) and it's worked well.I do wake her after that long and she"s a bit spaced out for a while but she's then generally ready for bed round 7:30.She's just turned three now.I feel that very soon, she'll be napping every other day though.

FYI...she still messes around the bed every night....I just leave her to it.She might not sleep til 8:30 or after.Figure it's developmental, no matter how tired she is,it happens.

Advertisement