Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help, watercooler leak

Options
  • 05-07-2017 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys, I posted on this forum a couple of years ago as I was intending to build my own PC. Just as I was about to order the parts a college friend offered to build one from parts he had lying around. The result was a beast of a machine (to me at least)
    AMD FX 8150 8 core 3.16 GHz
    16 GB ram
    AMD Radeon HD 6670 graphics card
    and a khuler h20 620 liquid cooler from antec.

This ran well for the last two years but lately it has been giving warnings of the CPU hitting 65 degrees. A quick google lead me to believe it was the thermal paste so I ordered Arctic Sliver 5 as recommended here. Did my research regarding cleaning and applying and today I cracked the case to set to work.

Directly below the section where the cooler sits on the CPU was some funky white residue on the graphics card, plus what looks like more on the bottom of the pipes. So I googled but found some very confusing info. Most posts are along the lines of the pc should be dead.

So I guess am looking for options now. Can the leak be repaired? Can the sealed unit be refilled and if so with what? Am I better off changing to a normal fan and if so can anyone recommend some? I assume its one for the CPU and another for the case at the rear.

Am not a huge gamer, CNC or war commander is about all I have time for. But I do spend a lot of time with youtube and virtual box/ gns 3 for college. ( yes even now during the summer, am a old fart so need to keep practising lol)
    So I really do not want to push the pc into higher temps which I understand may damage it.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Do you know where the leak came from?

If it were me and its coming from the tubing the rubber may be fatigued or aged (remember it's been heated and cooled hundreds of times) it would probably be a replacement.

Something like a LiqmaxII doesnt break the bank hugely:
    https://geizhals.eu/enermax-liqmax-ii-120-elc-lmr120s-bs-a1214283.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

Sorry, was going to add pics but photobucket is giving me problems. The leak is from the point where the two tubes connect to the part that sits over the cpu. I need to figure out how to remove the residue from the graphics card too which sits directly below it.

Are water coolers generally reliable or will they all leak eventually? am wondering if the normal heatsink/fan combo is a safer bet, pure luck the pc did not get fried from what i can tell.

But a big thank you for the recommendation, have bmed it so I can keep it as an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

soups05 wrote: »
    Sorry, was going to add pics but photobucket is giving me problems. The leak is from the point where the two tubes connect to the part that sits over the cpu. I need to figure out how to remove the residue from the graphics card too which sits directly below it.

Thats called the block (also houses the pump in prebuilt AIOs like that).

H20620PumpB.jpg

Not sure how repairable it is, only used Enermax before, might be worth googling to see if its a common issue with Antec H20s.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Photobucket rolled out a major update that borks links to 3rd-party sites.
    Try http://www.Imgur.com

Also, consider the Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer 120, it got good reviews (I'm tempted myself).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

hope this works

http://imgur.com/a/vxUWT

four pics, with descriptions of the position

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

First step should be to take it apart, and clean with isopropyl alcohol.

Advertisement