Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

probate and house sale

• 05-07-2017 9:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this subject has been discussed before , mods

Im hoping someone could help me out with a particular situation Im facing

Basically my parent passed away not so long ago and was in a nursing home for a number of years.Since it was part of the Fair Deal scheme the HSE will have to be paid ect.

Thing is the family home is now vacant and I along with my partner would like to buy it ,depending on price ect.

Estate agent came and looked at house the other day and said oh this could be sold witin a month and gave a price for the house which i thought was extremely high , given that a lot of work will have to be done to it.

The Estate agent also said "if you leave it until after Sept , it will take longer to sell as people dont buy after Sept,

I thought this was nonsense and thought he was only looking for a fast sell!

He also said come Jan, house prices in Dublin will start to come down as there is a planned huge housing build to happen in Jan ( again I find this hard to believe)

So my question is firstly do you think he is telling the truth or as i suspect looking for a fast sell and secondly another family member is looking after all the affairs and said we will have to act fast as probate is now is progress.
    But I read somewhere that probate can take up to 6 months ,if this is the case then the estate agents comment of this house could be sold withing a month is rubbish isnt it ?
    Or am i missing something.
    I have no clue about how these things work hence my post.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    Sorry no legal advice can be given on this forum
    Talk to the solicitor dealing with the Probate
    Leaving thread open for general comments for now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

If you know the date the papers were lodged with the probate office,give them a ring
    They will tell you were there are at and a rough date of completion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Sorry for your loss.

Did you parent have a will? If your parent has a will there should be an executor responsible for deciding what the sale price will be and what offer to accept. Usually home is valued by auctioneer, house goes up for sale and then executor decides what offer to take. The executors duty is to make sure that the assets are correctly disposed of at the best price. Has a portion of the house been left to you?

Say 3 people left the house in the will, house valued at €200k and Fair Deal due €50k, if you were one of the 3 left the house if you were to get a mortgage for €150k the house could then be yours provided that offer accepted, all others and HSE would get their slice from the mortgage and you get the house.

Probate will take at least 6 months, likely be well over a year.

Advertisement