Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Camera suggestion

• 05-07-2017 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi. I'm a beginner/intermediate photographer and I have a Panasonic Lumix GH1.
    The camera is quit old and I keep thinking about to upgrade it. Should I go for a newer beginner camera or should I go for an intermediate?
    Any suggestions on cameras? and any comments on my actual camera?
    All feedback will be welcome. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

It is very difficult to suggest anything based on the information provided. The term "Intermediate" does not have much meaning.

Just because your camera is old usually does not mean you need to upgrade it. You have to identify what sort of photography you want to do and how your current equipment is limiting you. If that is the case then look for something which will work better in the area which you need that function.

Remember the marketing people for the various cameras have been selling the myth for decades that by buying a new camera your photography will magically improve. The real changes which make a big difference are few and far between. Most are incremental improvements and often just gadgetry.

There is also no perfect camera. In fact when you get gear which has advantages in one area it is often at the expense of function in others. A set up for landscapes is probably going to suck for shooting sports.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I have just looked up the specs for the Panasonic Lumix GH1. It was released about the same time as the body I am mainly shooting myself. It seems like a very good piece of kit. What lens do you have on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 estebanrc

CabanSail wrote: »
    I have just looked up the specs for the Panasonic Lumix GH1. It was released about the same time as the body I am mainly shooting myself. It seems like a very good piece of kit. What lens do you have on it?

I'm using the one that it came with the camera that it's 14-45mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 estebanrc

CabanSail wrote: »
    It is very difficult to suggest anything based on the information provided. The term "Intermediate" does not have much meaning.

Just because your camera is old usually does not mean you need to upgrade it. You have to identify what sort of photography you want to do and how your current equipment is limiting you. If that is the case then look for something which will work better in the area which you need that function.

Remember the marketing people for the various cameras have been selling the myth for decades that by buying a new camera your photography will magically improve. The real changes which make a big difference are few and far between. Most are incremental improvements and often just gadgetry.

There is also no perfect camera. In fact when you get gear which has advantages in one area it is often at the expense of function in others. A set up for landscapes is probably going to suck for shooting sports.

Thanks. Yes, I know that the question does not have one correct answer. The camera is good for the photos I'm taking (which are absolutely amateur level) I was just wondering if it still a good camera or because it's around 8 years old it could be behind of what the new ones are offering at the moment.

Advertisement