Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen bike in Smithfield at 22:00 today

Options
  • 05-07-2017 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I just saw how about one hour ago 2 scumbags stole a bike in Smithfield, around 22:00 on Wednesdey night. It was from the rack very close to luas rail. They just broke the lock and throw the helmet and gloves to the ground.

I know its a very vague description, but they were 2 guys: a middle age man around 30-years old with short blonde hair, with some extra kilos, and a kid with black hoodie.

What pissed me off is they just broke it in 5 seconds and then he was cycling around for 3 or 4 minutes, just coming and going around the luas rails.

I feel so sorry for not doing anything, actually it happened really fast and to be honest I dont know if I would tell them something if I had a chance. Luas stop was full and none of us did anything...

Its so terrible they steal bikes so easily here in Dublin, oviously garda dont want to deal with it. Im just thinking what happens now if that person need the bike to go to work or to school...

I like this country, but its so bad in this kind of things. Ireland is not fighting this kind of crime who affects everyone, its like nobody cares. I feel so sorry for the owner.

Well thats it, just wanted to leave this written somewhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Next time ring the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭2forjoy

So 30 is middle age . anyway best to forget about it now its too late

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

I know that stuff like that can be really frustrating, but try to not let it get to you.

I don't think there's anything much you could have done differently other than maybe call the Guards.

The owner should have known better than to leave their bike there (even if it's not their fault!). They should also have had a better lock (unless the scumbags had a grinder thingamabob).

Also, no one got hurt. There was NO POINT getting into fisticuffs over a bike. You just never know how it ends. That's how you end up in the papers the next day. Over a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,952 ✭✭✭✭listermint

next time try get a photo, everyone has a smartphone and ring the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Ring the guards next time.

A few weeks ago I saw two scummers with a boltcutter taking bikes out the front of Heuston, rang Kilmainham station and a car came flying around the corner in less than a minute, was well impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If you are at a safe distance I would scream out "thats my bike". Not "is that your bike" or "thats not your bike".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Reminds me of a time years ago at Clontarf Dart station there was a couple scumbags working on breaking a bike lock, and everyone could see what was happening but no one did anything - myself included.
    But what really pissed me off that day was the guy working for Irish Rail selling tickets could see them and he would have had discreet access to a phone and he never called the Gardai.
    Then one of the litle scrotes just crossed the road to where another lad they knew was passing and punches him full force in the face.
    Total f*cking scumbags.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I've had like 3 bikes stolen in the last couple of years, mostly down to my own stupidity and poor locks. Anyway, get some counselling and you should be able to move on from this over the next few years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

North Cumberland Street 'market' from about 6am on Saturdays used to be where they disposed of them. Used to teach a lot of these gentlemen.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

spurious wrote: »
    North Cumberland Street 'market' from about 6am on Saturdays used to be where they disposed of them. Used to teach a lot of these gentlemen.

Always some lovely characters there. Ugh.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

Adverts.ie is where some of them end up too.

When i bought a mountain bike off that site many moons ago i was asked if i "knew anybody looking for loads of bikes"...

Advertisement